TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hit the 500 mile mark 3 days ago and noticed my clutch was getting a little loose or less responsive. I attributed it to clutch break in and cable stretching and i referenced my owners manual to achieve the .39 to .59 inch free play. I ended up adjusting slightly on the engine side but most adjustment on the bar end. I took it around the block and it was great so I went on a 50 mile cruise and it felt normal when returning. Most of Friday rained however last night I decided to go for a ride and I immediately had the same clutch issue ( best explanation is that the clutch didn't start engaging until position 4 or 5) I adjusted the clutch at the handle bars and went for my ride but kept it short since i was having this issue. Am I mis-adjusting the clutch or am I doing something wrong? This is my first new bike so i'm trying to follow the engine break in procedures. Thanks for any help, I want to get this bike running reliably and hit 1000 miles by the end of September.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The springs are known to be weak, so engagement is right at the end of the lever action. After market springs from Versah are recommended. My clutch now works as a clutch with a zone of slippage through the lever engagement. Stock felt more like an on/off switch.

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
93 Posts
these clutches dont engage till near fully released. its normal.. 500 miles is absolutely nothing on the clutch unless you slip it all the time in too high of gear

·
Registered
101 Posts
its exactly like ski pro 3 said. sometimes when im stopped on a hill i look like a beginner trying to pull out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The springs are known to be weak, so engagement is right at the end of the lever action. After market springs from Versah are recommended. My clutch now works as a clutch with a zone of slippage through the lever engagement. Stock felt more like an on/off switch.
+1
After installing stiffer aftermarket springs my clutch behaves like a normal clutch now.
As well, the clutch rod needed adjustment too, that helped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts