TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone (I'm not very mechanical or great on computers)

I just in the last 2 weeks bought a 2004 TW200 from a very nice/ trusworthy farmer. It only had 621miles (1000km)

It was in basically new condition!

Yesterday (June 16, 2012) I was planning on going for a quick 20-30 min bike ride before bed.

The ride started off great! I was on basic back gravel roads, and ended up in a new subdivision under construction. It got very muddy in a hurry, and my plan was to get back

on pavement which I could see. It would have only take me about one minute or so, to reach the pavement driving a normal pace. The mud was so thick and I was really going

slow , I only went a short distance before the bike was stuck. I got off and pushed but that only lasted maybe 30 seconds. The mud was so thick and built up in the wheel wells

so much the front wheel locked up. It was just skidding on the mud. I kept trying to dig the mud out and it helped the first few tries, to make very little distance. I ended up

there for about 2 hours and finally started calling for some help. A friend showed up quickly, and we made some progress (we both pushed it) but the front wheel was still

skidding.

After a few attempts, I could smell something and my clutch instantly required no pressure at all to pull in. It was just revving up when in first gear or any gear like it was

in neutral. I think it means my clutch is wrecked? If I need a new one is OEM or Aftermarket better?

After an hour I pulled in the clutch lever again and it was hard (just like when it was working) But still no gear does anything.

I APPRECIATE ANY HELP!!!! THANK YOU!!!

PS -->Will this be an expensive fix?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The clutch basket is likely OK. The steel plates may or may not be. The fiber plates are probably toast--at least some of them. If the fiber plates have come apart, all of the pieces need to be removed, the crank case flushed out, the oil and filter changed and new oil put in. The dealer or a good mechanic may be able to save some plates, but don't count on it.

No, it should not be super big bucks like an engine overhaul, but it will probably be more than a regular service by two or three times. Just my guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I meant what would you guys buy aftermarket or OEM???? Or a combination of both??

I apprechiate any answers on this, thank you everyone, on this fourm everyone is great :0)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes I hope it is nothing else but the clutch. The bike starts up perfect, could the gears be broken??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just neutral (while it was not running)

When picking it later I didn't have a key (so Im not sure it was in neutral. (we pulled it about 50 feet) ???

Im really hoping the gears are ok. Will the mechanic know eaisly if replacing the clutch?

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Wow, that is some tough luck on your first ride, but don't despair the bike can be fixed and you will have a lot of enjoyment yet to come.

Get the bike all cleaned up so that mud is not contributing to the symptoms you're experiencing. From the smell and symptoms you described it sounds like you smoked your clutch, but it may not be completely toasted. If after cleanup the clutch is still not working it sounds like you will need to get some help. Download the manual here and read through the procedure for replacing the clutch to see if it is within your abilities. If not you would be wise to have a mechanic procure the parts and fix your bike, unless there is someone experienced nearby who can help you. Maybe someone is nearby who can either help or recommend a reputable dealer.

Good luck, and stick with it, even if you have to wait a little while to do the repair.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone!!! I'm trying to get parts lined up today, but wow everything seems to be on back order!!!

:0)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not to be insensitive, but I think you need to evaluate how you use your clutch. If you are not letting your clutch lever all the way out and continue to "slip" the clutch by applying excessive throttle without fully releasing the clutch lever, you will burn out your new clutch in short order. Any time the clutch lever is not fully pulled toward the handlbar or fully realease, the clutch parts are rubbing "(technical term : )" against each other causing friction and heat. If you do not operate the clutch properly, excessive heat will result and if continured to excess you will ruin the new clutch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just that mud ended being a real bad scene, a few hours later the tow truck got me out yikes!!

Im still unsure if I should get the new clutch all OEM or go aftermarket. I had no issues at all with the OEM I thought it worked great!! All the new parts from Yanaha are 130.00 so I'm thinking that isn't too bad??

Any thoughts ???? :0)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Similar thing happened to me a couple months ago.. headed out into some mud that ended up being quite a bit thicker than I anticipated and was quickly stuck. I had so much mud gunked up in the wheel wells and fender that it wouldn't move at all. I took the front fender off using the tool kit and was at least able to push the bike. I was down in a creek bed and used some of the water down there to wash off as much mud as I could, but when I fired it up it was going nowhere. Even in gear it acted like it was in neutral and I could push it while in gear as well. Quickly determined that I'd burned up my clutch so I ordered a new one (EBC DRC Kevlar Series Complete kit from BikeBandit, came with plates and springs). I'd never replaced a clutch before but knocked it out in less than an hour. Gears were fine and the basket was fine, but the clutch was toast. The new clutch is a little grabbier and definitely feels better to me than the stock clutch. If you're going to have to replace the clutch anyways, might as well get one that holds up a little better than the OEM clutch.

My replacement clutch was just under $80, so quite a bit cheaper than OEM as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the call from my mechanic today, he said the clutch was toast!! The fiber and steel plates he confirmed!

I hope it's not a bad choice but I ordered all O.E.M YAMAHA clutch parts. Everything for 130.00.

I was thinking about getting aftermarket, but went this way because it was the least down time. Just waiting for the call from Yamaha to go pick up the parts.

I will be more careful than ever with mud after this one!!

:0)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts