TW200 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
hello all
been paying attention to these and trying figure a solution for the tw.
it will be a hack but maybe someone here has a better idea.
its the physics of a longer lever that intrigue me.
o

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is still free play in the lever and a "friction zone" but its like an 1/8th of the lever throw max and way out near the end of the throw. Like i said every dirt based Yamaha i have ever owned has been this way and i have owned probably 10 over my lifetime, I have owned YZ's, IT's, TT's etc, none were any different than my TW. There is no adjustment that will widen it or get it closer to the bar that i have found either.

The reason i call it a light switch is compared to other motorcycles it feels like one. My Africa Twin for instance has a nice wide friction zone and it starts grabbing maybe a third of the way off the bar. My better half's NC700x is real similar to my AT's clutch, they are cable operated too just like the TW. The Ducati Multistrada i used to have was hydrauilc and it started grabbing just off the bar and you could slip it for over half the lever throw if you wanted to, it was very forgiving and in some instances you needed it with the super tall gearing that bike had. Imagine getting off a TW where you pretty much dump the clutch and go and then hop on that bike, it was a totally different feel.
There is still free play in the lever and a "friction zone" but its like an 1/8th of the lever throw max and way out near the end of the throw. Like i said every dirt based Yamaha i have ever owned has been this way and i have owned probably 10 over my lifetime, I have owned YZ's, IT's, TT's etc, none were any different than my TW. There is no adjustment that will widen it or get it closer to the bar that i have found either.

The reason i call it a light switch is compared to other motorcycles it feels like one. My Africa Twin for instance has a nice wide friction zone and it starts grabbing maybe a third of the way off the bar. My better half's NC700x is real similar to my AT's clutch, they are cable operated too just like the TW. The Ducati Multistrada i used to have was hydrauilc and it started grabbing just off the bar and you could slip it for over half the lever throw if you wanted to, it was very forgiving and in some instances you needed it with the super tall gearing that bike had. Imagine getting off a TW where you pretty much dump the clutch and go and then hop on that bike, it was a totally different feel.
BETA evo2t maintenance book said,play should be within 0.9mm.
Screenshot_2020-12-24-12-18-59.png

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
The clutches in both my TW's started slipping. I went to washers to shim the springs and it cured it for a short time but they started slipping again. I went to after market springs and it cured it again for a while and it started slipping again. (There was also an episode of using the wrong oil causing my clutches to slip but I am not counting that in this string of events.) I then went to Barnett Kevlar clutches and springs and have been very happy ever since.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hello all
been paying attention to these and trying figure a solution for the tw.
it will be a hack but maybe someone here has a better idea.
its the physics of a longer lever that intrigue me.
o
That's exactly what I had in mind for some time. Since the clutch has so small engagement zone, this woud widen that zone and also make it lighter to pull. Off course, there are limits(lever contacting bars) but my clutch lets go in first few degrees of lever pull, and further pulling has no effect. so there is enough room for longer pull

I also stand with twbigblake for the idea that changing springs only affects the force of plates being squished together, therefore making it harder to pull.

Maybe because it is harder to pull, people put their fingers further on the lever, thus makkng it feel the grab zone is larger, but the degrees of lever rotation are still the same

·
Registered
519 Posts
When I transplanted an XT225 engine in to my friend's TW200, one of the things that impressed me the most was the vastly improved clutch feel.

To be fair, I did install new EBC discs, and heavy duty springs, but do I think the 6-disc XT clutch is inherently smoother than the 5-disc TW clutch.

I know this won't be that helpful to most TW riders, since a 5-disc can't be readily upgraded to a 6-disc, but I thought it might be worth mentioning in a "smooth clutch" thread. :cool:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
When I transplanted an XT225 engine in to my friend's TW200, one of the things that impressed me the most was the vastly improved clutch feel.

To be fair, I did install new EBC discs, and heavy duty springs, but I think the 6-disc XT clutch is inherently smoother than the 5-disc TW clutch.

I know this won't be that helpful to most TW riders, since a 5-disc can't be readily upgraded to a 6-disc, but I thought it might be worth mentioning in a "smooth clutch" thread. :cool:
Was the clutch friction zone any better on the 225 engine? The reason i ask is my better half's TW has Barnett plates and Versah springs and while its definitely smoother than stock the friction zone is still super narrow. It is something she struggles with when she gets off her Honda and onto the TW and its something i would love to fix given the opportunity.

I did a little digging and upgrading a TW to the XT clutch could be done pretty easy, just costly for all new parts. You would need the following, a clutch basket, a boss assembly, 1 steel plate, 6 friction plates( they are a different part number), a new tab washer, a right side engine cover and a gasket and seals for the cover. The rest of the parts directly interchange and are the same parts, at least between a 2006TW and a 2006 XT225.

Total cost on the parts would be ~500 if you bought all new but i bet they could be had for a lot cheaper on Ebay.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm pretty sure the splines are different on the crankshafts/clutch baskets, so you can't mount an XT clutch on a TW engine.

Clearance inside the TW clutch cover would also be a problem, but at least one member here has been able to fit a TW clutch cover on an XT engine with some creative dremeling.

I'm not sure about the friction zone, and I don't have easy access to that bike anymore. Maybe one of the other XT conversion owners will chime in here.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts