TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please tell me these people are not breeding...!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of this picture, and there it is. Nice one! :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's actually motorcycle traction control. No way for rear wheelspin to happen. It's a cheap effective safety feature. All motorcycles can have this feature if they are ridden long enough and you only replace chains and not sprockets.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably the same bike...

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
While fixing the clutch they might be able to install a front axle too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks like an aluminum sprocket. There's a reason those are not fitted to street bikes, uh, ever. Especially to high powered ones, they wear like cheese. IMO they're for racing/ MX only where they'd get swapped out frequently and weight is the #1 concern. Even for general trail riding they wear hilariously fast.

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
I agree with RaZed1 if the sprocket is aluminum. I had an aluminum sprocket on my TW a couple years ago and it only last most (not all) of 1 riding season. I'll never buy an aluminum sprocket for the type of riding I do. For the record, my sprocket wasn't even close to as bad as the "slipping clutch" sprocket. :p

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Totally agree with RaZed1 and Admiral about the use of aluminum sprockets, except...

I plan to use one on my TW custom "lightweight".
It rarely sees dirt/sand/mud as it's mainly a "roadster" and only sees infrequent off-road use (unfortunately). Primarily when we're camping.
There are few trails around here...that's why I'm inventing "Urban Dualsport"! More on that after I have pix and more info.

And...part of this project has been a weight-loss program. For me and the TW!
I've lost ~25 lbs. and the bike is now just short of 20 lbs. lighter...the aluminum sprocket will put it over 20 weight loss.
Pretty significant for a 278 lb. bike.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Totally agree with RaZed1 and Admiral about the use of aluminum sprockets, except...

I plan to use one on my TW custom "lightweight".
It rarely sees dirt/sand/mud as it's mainly a "roadster" and only sees infrequent off-road use (unfortunately). Primarily when we're camping.
There are few trails around here...that's why I'm inventing "Urban Dualsport"! More on that after I have pix and more info.

And...part of this project has been a weight-loss program. For me and the TW!
I've lost ~25 lbs. and the bike is now just short of 20 lbs. lighter...the aluminum sprocket will put it over 20 weight loss.
Pretty significant for a 278 lb. bike.

You're "Urban Dualsport" intrigues me sir. Look forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd suggest a hybrid sprocket from Supersprox. Aluminum hub, but steel teeth. They're like an ounce or two heavier than all aluminum but last many times as long. I've run them on 1000cc sportbikes and got well north of 20k miles of life out of them, well more than el cheapo steel sprockets or even factory ones, which I'd be lucky to get 10k. Usually around 25k or so the front would start to "hook" a little and I'd replace the whole set, although the rear always still looked essentially new. But that was on a bike putting 140hp to the wheel, not 12.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd suggest a hybrid sprocket from Supersprox. Aluminum hub, but steel teeth. They're like an ounce or two heavier than all aluminum but last many times as long. I've run them on 1000cc sportbikes and got well north of 20k miles of life out of them, well more than el cheapo steel sprockets or even factory ones, which I'd be lucky to get 10k. Usually around 25k or so the front would start to "hook" a little and I'd replace the whole set, although the rear always still looked essentially new. But that was on a bike putting 140hp to the wheel, not 12.
Good idea Razed...I was considering that.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good idea Razed...I was considering that.
140hp to the wheel? God, I miss those days!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts