TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -
I am wondering if my clutch is slipping at high revs.

1) 2010 TW200, stock, ~ 9300 miles
2) New stock carb 100 or so miles ago, not shimmed or rejetted
3) Slip seems to happen only in 5th gear above 40-45 mph
4) Doesn't happen at high revs in other gears
5) If revs are gently, slowly brought up in 5th it doesn't slip

???

Could it be the carb? Fuel flow at higher speed/revs? If so, why not in all gears?

THX

JG

Super Moderator
It does sound like the clutch. If you have a little free play and the cable isn't too tight, check to see where the arrow lines up with the line ( raised mark) on the case. Check also the return spring. If the mark doesn't line up with the arrow, it may be out of adjustment, you have to pull the right side case cover and adjust the clutch. Check then to see how worn they are, replace as needed. The bike weight and wind resistance and speed in 5th make sense too. With that mileage, it could need adjusted or if you have been hard on it, replaced. Keep us posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
THX! Haven't had time to check things out yet. I'll try to post back tomorrow with results or comments.

Registered
I agree with littletommy that it is probably the clutch. Mine started doing the exact same thing at 10,000 miles and it went away after replacing clutch parts.

Registered
igaffs' #4 and #5 make me wonder why it is not happening in any other gear as well ? ( I'm not a wrench by the way).

Any headway igaff ?.

Super Moderator
It's the wind resistance at higher speeds putting more of a load on the clutch, and only because he is babying it in 5th that it doesn't. It speaks clutch all the way if his other adjustments are in order.

Most likely, he can fix it for now by adjusting the clutch itself and lining up again the line on the case with the arrow on the lever and adjusting the cable. He caught the problem early on, so may not have to replace yet. Hopefully. Still gotta take the right side case cover off though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, no chance to look over the weekend. Once I get in there, I will post back.

Registered
My '96 clutch slips a little also. I just ordered some hi-performance clutch springs. I'll let you know how they work. Synthetic oil not meant for motorcycles will affect it also.

Registered
Heavy duty clutch springs , just bit heavier but do the trick. Vesrah about $10 bucks

Registered
Omg this sounds like the problem i'm having now after riding and dropping my bike on my recent trip. Weirdest problem i've ever had. The problem goes away after engine and oil warm up though, 10 min after startup. I notice it in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

Registered
WOW that sure is a lot more difference in height then mine had .My springs were almost identical to each other in looks. same new springs though. Wonder if its a year model difference ? mine is a 2007 . I bought it used with 3000 miles and I do not think it had been worked on by the PO .. Stocker tires and everything. And I installed a kick starter kit makes me think it never was opened up . But judging from what I am hearing it may have had carb work done because it starts right up and idles cold with very little choke time.

Easy to do but must use a torque wrench.

Heavy duty vs stock:

View attachment 7211

These are the springs I used:

View attachment 7212

It really does make a big difference. Good luck. Tony

Registered
The other thing one can do is shim the springs. Lizrdbrth has a write up some where about it -- it is what I used on one bike with heavy duty springs that still had a little bit of slippage.

Basically when I tried to push start my bike when I released the clutch the clutch would slip. I shimmed two of the springs and now either the engine turns over or the real wheel skids -- the clutch is locked up tight.

Correction: Maybe it was Ronnydog that gave me the idea. I don't remember but this is what I did.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/4473-clutch-compare-o.html

Registered
Tony, when I put the kick start on my bike, I shimmed the clutch springs also. You can always find thing on this forum to do to these bikes. Thanks for the Idea.

Joe

Registered
What kind of oil are you running? I got in a pinch once and put some regular old automotive 10W30 (molybdenum additives) in it and the clutch started slipping in 5th. Changed out for Yamalube (wet clutch formulated) and no more slip.

Registered
Wind resistance and GEAR RATIO, mostly gear ratio . . Higher gears are more directly connected to the engine If you could wind the engine up top 50,000 rpm in low gear the clutch would hardly be working at all

igaffs' #4 and #5 make me wonder why it is not happening in any other gear as well ? ( I'm not a wrench by the way).

Any headway igaff ?.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts