TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess the title says it all. I'm not worried about lever pressure, I'm just tired of any slipping. The Barnett springs I got with my plates aren't strong enough. Need the most bad ass ones out there!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
No matter what springs one uses one can also add washers to preload the clutch springs a bit for greater engagement pressures.
You’ll have firmer clutch lever effort. So if you want equal sized PopEye arms practice a lot of “Stoppies” to build up the right arm to match the clutch arm. 11205873_414815475359675_98962203_n.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No matter what springs one uses one can also add washers to preload the clutch springs a bit for greater engagement pressures.
You’ll have firmer clutch lever effort. So if you want equal sized PopEye arms practice a lot of “Stoppies” to build up the right arm to match the clutch arm. View attachment 116570
You wouldn't happen to have a size on the washers would you?

Reactions: cowboyjeff

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Washers do increase the pressure on the discs but you really can't feel it in the clutch lever.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Size and material of washer...anyone?
Or a place to get some springs that are firmer than the barnett ones?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I looked for the washers I had and can't find them. I guess I put them back into the clutch when I installed the Barnett. I do remember they were iron but brass I am sure would work OK.

As for size, what I did was carefully measure what I needed and then went to the hardware store. There I found the closest washer I could to my measurements. When I got home I then had to file them to fit. A little bit off the outsider and more than a little bit off the inside. Procedure was repeated at one of TW-Brian's Wrench and Rides for some other TW riders. No big deal. Not hard to do. Doesn't even take much time. Well worth the effort.

P1090032.JPG

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I would love to just get the correct springs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: cowboyjeff

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I tried unsuccessfully to find some off-the-shelf washers that would work. I even went as far requesting a quote for getting some washers custom made so I could offer them to forum members that were looking for some. Unfortunately, the cost was a little higher than I had hoped for.

See the attached quote for the size that I had determined was needed.

Boker's Quote.jpg

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Fifty cents a piece isn't bad if you can buy only 4 of them only then they won't be called washers but something like "clutch springs enhancement shims". Heck, "clutch spring enhancement shim" should be worth a buck each plus S&H!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Fifty cents a piece isn't bad if you can buy only 4 of them only then they won't be called washers but something like "clutch springs enhancement shims". Heck, "clutch spring enhancement shim" should be worth a buck each plus S&H!
You are right!

Should I put you down for 2 sets of Stainless Steel High Performance Clutch Enhancement Springs (SSTHPCES's) :D?

Now all I need is about is about a hundred more pre-orders and I will get some made ;)!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Procycle!?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or if someone can find heavy springs in the correct size...
the mighty TW just makes too much torque ?

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
Just make sure Bokers tumbles to deburr otherwise elime will be up all night polishing SSTHPCESs.

Reactions: elime

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMG_0115.PNG Don't get these...too short and wire gauge too thin

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about a 5x15mm fender washer?

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I used these springs and they worked well for a long time.

P2210826.JPG PA260151.JPG Stock spring on the right.

I even added shims for enhancement.

The best so far has been the Barnett Kevlar Clutch. Cost twice as much but worth it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts