TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a new 2015 tw with about 130 miles on it. I dont ride too often maybe 20 miles a weekend so far. But recently it seems like the clutch sticks after sitting. I rode about 5 miles yesterday and i go to move it today, pull in clutch to roll it and feels like its still in gear until i really give it a shove. Then still feels a little stiff. This is my first bike so im pretty clueless. Feels like clutch is not engaging fully. :confused: any ideas or help would be appreciated. Joshua

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Your ok cold oil new clutch in first gear try pulling in the clutch and putting it in neutral.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Joshua, don't worry, a lot of them do it. Just pull in the clutch and rock the bike back and forth until it releases. This will also help with the clunk and lurch dropping it in first when you are taking off for the first time of the day.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I have read that some guys have burned out the clutch going down long down hills with the clutch pulled in engine off and not in neutral.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
^^^why exactly would someone ever do that?
Some guys thinking of saving gas on a long down hill and burned out the clutch it might of been on the DR650 page.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I believe the return spring is unrelated to the problem of sticking clutch plates, but check it anyway. You want it in the correct position.
Mine did the same thing till it hit 500 miles and if it was cold and I put it in first gear it would die.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Hey guys. I have a new 2015 tw with about 130 miles on it. I dont ride too often maybe 20 miles a weekend so far. But recently it seems like the clutch sticks after sitting. I rode about 5 miles yesterday and i go to move it today, pull in clutch to roll it and feels like its still in gear until i really give it a shove. Then still feels a little stiff. This is my first bike so im pretty clueless. Feels like clutch is not engaging fully. :confused: any ideas or help would be appreciated. Joshua
Some folks have this happen and others don't. My 2005 didn't do this, but my 2015 does. It's just the clutch plates sticking together. My 2015 I bought in June does the same thing when it's cold, meaning sat overnight. This is somewhat common and I've read others here on the forum have had this happen throughout the years. Check everything out that everyone else has mentioned to make sure nothing is amiss, but most likely nothing is wrong. I'm guessing this doesn't happen when it's warmed up. Yep, that would be normal.

·
Super Moderator
4,883 Posts
Used to have to give mine some throttle before engaging first on a cold engine, went into gear with a crunch, but had to get over it stalling

I’ve since changed the oil to semi-synthetic, and now it’s fine …….

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
changing to mobil 1 synthetic made a huge difference in mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
20150930_135140-1.jpg
This is correct placement right? Im about to get the first oil change here soon, hopefully itll smooth out soon. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
mine does the same thing. I just rock the bike back and forth in first gear to brake the clutch plates free before starting it when it's cold. after that it's all good

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
why exactly would someone ever do that?

I have done that decending an extremely slippery slope where I knew I would not be able to use my rear brake so I kill the engine in 1st gear and use the clutch for braking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts