TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 15 miles on the 2019. Releasing the clutch it begins to stick. It doesn’t release smoothly at all unless you pop it...
This is really annoying when trying to make a nice smooth start or feather it out. I lubed the cable this morning, so it’s defiantly not that. Also, I found an extremely similar video on YouTube right as I made and posted mine.
I talked to my Yamaha dealer- they said “It could be the bushing” and didn’t offer any other solution. You guys seen this before? Maybe seems like it could be common b/c of the second video...

My bike:

Someone else’s bike:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
TWs have notoriously funky clutches but yours seems worse than normal. Lots of reported cases of improperly installed return springs. It’s worth looking at that.

EDIT - yours appears to be correctly installed. Sorry

·
Registered
335 Posts
TWs have notoriously funky clutches but yours seems worse than normal. Lots of reported cases of improperly installed return springs. It’s worth looking at that.

EDIT - yours appears to be correctly installed. Sorry
Well,
I've had three TW's and, not one of them ever had any oddness in the clutch operations. Each one of them was smooth and worked correctly. To me, unless a cable has some issues, frayed, sharp bends etc. that could effect the smoothness of the actual cable, the clutch itself should be smooth.
Scott

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'd try replacing the cable first...then opening the case to see if something isn't right.
But before replacing the cable, you should disconnect it from the actuator and try working it with the lever...see if maybe it's binding in the sleeve...sometimes a strand can break off and get caught.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well,
I've had three TW's and, not one of them ever had any oddness in the clutch operations. Each one of them was smooth and worked correctly. To me, unless a cable has some issues, frayed, sharp bends etc. that could effect the smoothness of the actual cable, the clutch itself should be smooth.
Scott
Many have a very late engagement. Maybe funky isn’t the right term.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
my 2013 had a sticky spot in the release. I did all the cable checks and eventually took it to the dealer under warranty and the mechanic honed the cross tube that the actuator shaft crosses the engine in. Smoothed it right out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well boys,
Always learning here.
Scott

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had a few issues with my Dub's clutch, the set screw on the housing kept on coming loose after about 10 miles. I seem to have it sorted now, after opening the cover 3 times. I tried thread locking compound etc, now I've doubled up and put that and a lock nut it and it seem to be working so far, did 40 miles on it so far without issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys, 15 miles on the 2019. Releasing the clutch it begins to stick. It doesn’t release smoothly at all unless you pop it...
This is really annoying when trying to make a nice smooth start or feather it out. I lubed the cable this morning, so it’s defiantly not that. Also, I found an extremely similar video on YouTube right as I made and posted mine.
I talked to my Yamaha dealer- they said “It could be the bushing” and didn’t offer any other solution. You guys seen this before? Maybe seems like it could be common b/c of the second video...

My bike:

Someone else’s bike:
I put Barnett springs in my clutch fixed all the goofy clutch issues

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tried backing the adjustment out on the lever? My TTR230 had a sticky clutch, so I backed the adjustment out and rode it. It started to slip by the end of the riding season, so I ran the adjuster back in and it works as it should. Having said that, I'd be inclined to make sure the dealer fixed any issues on such a new machine, even though they seem like they aren't interested in helping. Best of luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here's a full post about it, I have a 19 and started with the same problem... it does need to wear in, it took about 100mi before I stopped noticing it, but mine would get worse the longer I rode initially.

It does get better though, make your cable adjustments and get that sucker lubed up good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
To be clear if it's sticking on release, and the bike is brand new, just perform standard maintenance to lube the clutch cable, ensure it's adjusted correctly, and if you're absolutely frantic about it you can do what I did and swap the clutch springs out for the stiffer ones (super easy).

Other than that, just be patient, it's stupid you have to be patient for something that's potentially dangerous driving in the city, but it'll wear in.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Video shows problem is definitely not an improperly installed return spring .
There is definitely a abnormal problem that should be corrected under warrantee before any part swapping is attempted. Could be just a faulty cable with a broken strand or a kink caused by improper assembly at dealership.
New bike with 15 miles might best be returned to dealer before new owner possibly violates warrantee.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Fred, mine was like that from the dealer, they took a look at mine, agreed it was odd but that in the end, the clutch functioned as normal, and the most they'd offer is a replacement of the clutch lever, which I had already done.

it's just a dumb nuance of the 19 TW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts