TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the hose just dangles down and is open to the outside air?

I called the local Yamaha dealer and they told me it should be attached ti the intake manafold somewhere and it needed a vacume to opperate the coasting enricher???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I see now. It is not a coast enricher hose at all. Its a vent for the float bowl. Sorry for taking up your time. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Out of an abundance of caution, during my most recent work on the carburetor (think ethanol problems) I routed this hose virtually straight up in the air and ty-wrapped the end of the hose to the rear gas tank mount. Seems to me that should preclude this hose from sucking water on my next stream crossing, so long as it's less than tank deep! Obviously if this hose does suck water the engine will probably stop running in short order. And the normal routing - straight down, to a point below the swing arm - certainly permits it to suck water very easily. (I'm sure I read this tip somewhere in this great TW200 site.)

- - - Happy stream fording, Jim

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Out of an abundance of caution, during my most recent work on the carburetor (think ethanol problems) I routed this hose virtually straight up in the air and ty-wrapped the end of the hose to the rear gas tank mount. Seems to me that should preclude this hose from sucking water on my next stream crossing, so long as it's less than tank deep! Obviously if this hose does suck water the engine will probably stop running in short order. And the normal routing - straight down, to a point below the swing arm - certainly permits it to suck water very easily. (I'm sure I read this tip somewhere in this great TW200 site.)

- - - Happy stream fording, Jim

You need both an upward and downward vent if you're gunna do that. If you drop the bike it'll get fuel in the vent line and not only won't start but it can burn the bike to the ground. Somewhere in this mess I did a writeuip on installing tee'd vents.

Ok. Here it is:

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/729-tw-died-on-water-crossing-carb-vent-solution-offered/page__p__5576__hl__+vent++solution__fromsearch__1#entry5576

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the insight, lizrdbrth. I read the older article you referred to, can appreciate your observations, and will be replumbing my installation shortly. I apparently have a newer style carb (2001) with only a single vent hose attached to the coasting enricher (the float chamber drain hose doesn't count since the float chamber drain valve is normally closed). Since I've already tied the existing carb vent hose way up under the fuel tank, I'll just add a fuel filter to the open end of that line, and then add the necessary "tee" and another vent line routed back to the original location down by the swingarm. Seems to me that being able to ford streams at "carb depth" should certainly suffice. If I occasionally need a few extra inches of "clearance", by leaving the carb vent line routed to the swingarm a little extra long, I should be able to temporarily lift/tie up the end of that vent line, and put it back in place as soon as I cross a deeper stream (saving the trouble of remembering to open/close a valve). Again, thanks for a great article on this topic.

- - - Happy Trails, Jim

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Put a shutoff on the lower line if you wanat to submarinate
. Get one of those tiny 1/4" drip irrigation shutoffs. I think mine were less than a buck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts