TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday I installed the Cogent Dynamics DDCs in the forks of my TW. I also installed the .60 springs that I had purchased from Procycle. I was actually able to ride up and down my sidewalk and hit the 3" rise where two sidewalk sections have separated from each other. The front suspension now responds much more similarly to how my DR650 responded after I installed stiffer springs and DDCs in it. Much less front end dive when you hit the front brake. No bottoming out when you hit a 3" rise at 25mph. Compression is much more uniform.

A few notes.
I was aghast at how little (none) grease there was from the factory on the axle bolts when I removed both front and rear wheels for these suspension upgrades.

Installation of the DDCs is straightforward and easy if you are at all mechanically inclined.

On my 2022 stock TW I removed (as per the service manual) the collar (what we'd normally call a spacer), the retainer (a washer) and the stock spring which is just over 12" long. End to end these components measure about 19 7/8" in length.

The Cogent DDCs and the springs from Procycle together measure almost exactly 19 7/8" in length so the preload ended up the same as stock, albeit on a stiffer, longer spring.

Cogent told me that the oil level should be 160mm so that is what my shocks now have. This is 5wt fork oil.

That's about it. Now I'd jut like spring to arrive!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
160mm? That's significantly lower than stock. I'm running 130mm.
True…..but with the DDCs…which sit just on top of the damper rod……there wouldn’t need to be as much oil because the DDCs are always immersed and the damper rod has become meaningless to the equation/operation of the suspension…….so I am told anyway :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last Saturday I installed the Cogent Dynamics DDCs in the forks of my TW. I also installed the .60 springs that I had purchased from Procycle. I was actually able to ride up and down my sidewalk and hit the 3" rise where two sidewalk sections have separated from each other. The front suspension now responds much more similarly to how my DR650 responded after I installed stiffer springs and DDCs in it. Much less front end dive when you hit the front brake. No bottoming out when you hit a 3" rise at 25mph. Compression is much more uniform.

A few notes.
I was aghast at how little (none) grease there was from the factory on the axle bolts when I removed both front and rear wheels for these suspension upgrades.

Installation of the DDCs is straightforward and easy if you are at all mechanically inclined.

On my 2022 stock TW I removed (as per the service manual) the collar (what we'd normally call a spacer), the retainer (a washer) and the stock spring which is just over 12" long. End to end these components measure about 19 7/8" in length.

The Cogent DDCs and the springs from Procycle together measure almost exactly 19 7/8" in length so the preload ended up the same as stock, albeit on a stiffer, longer spring.

Cogent told me that the oil level should be 160mm so that is what my shocks now have. This is 5wt fork oil.

For anyone considering these DDCs here are some notes.

I installed the DDCs from Cogent and the .60kg/mm springs from Procycle.
In this configuration I get 1” of sag. This is with a front rack and 10 pounds of tools and a tank bag with 3 pounds in it. I don’t have any spacers installed so there is nothing I can do to reduce preload except look for softer springs.
At this point, with minimal riding in, I love how the front end feels. So much better than stock. I am very confident that more riding will only validate my observations.

It is difficult for me to imagine a scenario where a rider would want the .70kg/mm springs though. That would be a LOT of weight on the front end. I am thinking maybe to the point of frame failure :).

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm curious how these DDCs work? Because I see you don't have to drill out the damper rods? So isn't it just adding more resistance since the oil is still having to go through the damper rod and now the DDCs? I admit I haven't delved into the realm of suspension very much.

Previous owner of my bike was a big dude, like 6'4" and he put .70 springs in and 10w oil. I know I've bottomed out the front suspension before because I tried the raised fender mod before and it was hitting the bottom triple tree, but I've never actually felt it bottom out like I have the rear suspension. Again, don't know much about suspension but the front has always seemed fine with this supposed .70 spring upgrade and 10w oil.

·
Registered
220 Posts

A few notes.

I really appreciate your input! I did the original DDCs for ProCycle and have yet to install them in my own bike since I am still waiting for springs. I agree on the spring rate assuming the damping is right. I think we will be getting the new TW springs in the next couple weeks. About the time it warms up some too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts