TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I installed the new rear shock from Cogent Dynamics. Mind you I am in Idaho where it is 10 degrees and we have a foot of snow so I have not ridden it yet. However you can tell just by sitting on the bike and bouncing that you now have a shock instead of a pogo stick.

Install was straightforward. I removed the seat, the front side panels and the rear wheel. I removed the stock shock (2022 model) as per the Yamaha Service manual (except that they don’t tell you to remove the rear wheel). Took a bit of jiggling to get the new shock slid up into position. I had to use the “screw” characteristics of the spring on the shock to twist it up and then to get the last lip over the hump created by rubber flaps I had to wiggle and push harder. All in all it was straightforward and not difficult.

The top mounting (rubber bumper and rebound damping control knob end) uses the stock bolt, nut and cap for the nut. There were two sealing type washers on the stock setup that I did not reuse as they would not fit and would serve not purpose anyway. 36 ft lbs of torque on the top mounting bolt.

The lower mounting uses a new bolt that Cogent sent. Therefore I did not reuse the stock pin, washer, cotter pin that held the stock shock in place. I applied blue thread locker to the nut and torqued this bolt to 36 ft lbs. (no torque value was given for it by Cogent)

FYI the shock I got had the optional adjustment ring (kind of a bling ring) for the preload adjustment. You can see it in the photo at the threaded end of the shock. The shock is upside down in this photo.

More to come once I get the Cogent DDCs installed.

Wood Electrical wiring Coil spring Audio equipment Technology

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Since your snow bound and can't ride. Tell you what I'm willing to do. Send your shock to me here in Florida. I'll Install and ride with it then do a report. Then I will send it back to you broken in and with the sugar sand wiped off. Now this is not something I'd do for just anyone but I'm willing to take the hit for the Dub Team.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ouch, expensive.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not cheap, but still a bargain considering how it transforms a bike. I’ve bought eight cogent shocks in the last couple months and will order another ten next month. Rick is awesome to deal with and an all around great guy. I just gotta convince him to design shocks for my Harleys next 😁

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are just shy of $800.00

That is well worth it if this shock does for my TW what the Cogent modification did for my DR650.

Not saying I couldn’t get by on the stock shock, but if I can do better than get by I will find ways to afford it. I plan to have this bike for a long time so might as well enjoy it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since your snow bound and can't ride. Tell you what I'm willing to do. Send your shock to me here in Florida. I'll Install and ride with it then do a report. Then I will send it back to you broken in and with the sugar sand wiped off. Now this is not something I'd do for just anyone but I'm willing to take the hit for the Dub Team.
Well that’s very kind of you to offer. I will give it some thought :)

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
This is awesome. I would prefer a built-to-suit rear shock, and if $800 is the price tag, it is what it is.

But now at least now there are multiple options at multiple price points for folks.

Marvin Shaw at around $250-300 but you have to provide your own spacers. Or cogent at $800 plug and play.

Looking forward to hearing a ride report on performance, obviously understanding it's gonna be a little wonky until you upgrade the forks (mine rode weird with the rear suspension upgrade and stock front suspension).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just like that we live in a time where some people can communicate our wants and “viola” other people start manufacturing what we want. No one is going to get rich off of making shocks for the TW. But they will be able to make some money and in doing so provide a better bike for those of us who’d rather ride than manufacture :)

·
Super Moderator
20,693 Posts
A bike that handles well is a safer bike. Think of it this way. A full Cogent setup cost around $1200.00. A broken shoulder or blown out knee cost a lot more. That's what I tell people when they ask about my KLR.
True Dat!! (y)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the kind words people! We are custom building our shocks to each customers needs. We build all of the shock here in the USA and hand assemble then test each one. We are a very small company located in western North Carolin. The best materials and practices are used. Thank you to JTW200, we appreciate the business and are really trying to increase our understanding of what our customers want from the TW With regard to our suspension. I run the same Cogent shock on my TW but have yet to try jumps or log crossings with it. I am still learning the bike and it’s capabilities. We want to make sure our customers really like the shock and setup. We have a few more out there in the world, another in Oregon with Procycle for over 2 months but for weather reasons there just hasn’t been as much feedback as we would like. All the feedback we have, agree with our own testing and is favorable.

Cost wise, the shocks we build don’t change to follow what the motorcycles cost. Lowering costs can only come from using cheaper stuff in making them, some huge scaling of volume or making the shock out of country by some other manufacturers. I’m happy with how we do this stuff and realize our product won’t be for everyone. I always have looked at this process as a way for a little of me getting to ride adventures with my customers and friends. Another big benefit for me is that I now own a TW and get to go out on it and test, test, test! :)
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
20,693 Posts
Thanks for the kind words people! We are custom building our shocks to each customers needs. We build all of the shock here in the USA and hand assemble then test each one. We are a very small company located in western North Carolin. The best materials and practices are used. Thank you to JTW200, we appreciate the business and are really trying to increase our understanding of what our customers want from the TW With regard to our suspension. I run the same Cogent shock on my TW but have yet to try jumps or log crossings with it. I am still learning the bike and it’s capabilities. We want to make sure our customers really like the shock and setup. We have a few more out there in the world, another in Oregon with Procycle for over 2 months but for weather reasons there just hasn’t been as much feedback as we would like. All the feedback we have, agree with our own testing and is favorable.

Cost wise, the shocks we build don’t change to follow what the motorcycles cost. Lowering costs can only come from using cheaper stuff in making them, some huge scaling of volume or making the shock out of country by some other manufacturers. I’m happy with how we do this stuff and realize our product won’t be for everyone. I always have looked at this process as a way for a little of me getting to ride adventures with my customers and friends. Another big benefit for me is that I now own a TW and get to go out on it and test, test, test! :)
View attachment 221446
Just curious... 2016 CRF 250L price? Do you do those? I don't do any off-road riding to speak of these days but ya never know.

Reactions: NC Rick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just curious... 2016 CRF 250L price? Do you do those? I don't do any off-road riding to speak of these days but ya never know.
We have built those since the bike first came out. One of my good friends who worked for us for a few years has one of those bikes with our shock (I made him build his own)…
Our website doesn’t show all the shocks we build as the online shopping thing is pretty new and the same guy who sweeps up and posts on this forum has to do that stuff. It is the same price as the TW or CRF300l depending on spring we use (725-735). I’m checking into the precise pricing and will get it added to the website here in a day or so.
the Spring pricing is something pretty fluid right now. We do not wind our own shock springs but source them from suppliers such as Ohlins, Eibach and a couple others. Fork springs for some model bikes we do have custom wound to our specific order locally to us.
thanks!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Since Tommy's asking about a CRF250 how about a XR650L? I'm sure you make a shock and can rebuild the stocker but what about the forks. They have a cartridge instead of a damper rod but are way to soft.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The forks on those bikes can be revalved and we have done a number of them. As a DIY thing, the racetech gold valve kits (rebound and compression kits) are a nice option if you are willing to play around. I can’t remember if the DR650 fork springs work in those forks, id have to see the stock spring dimensions (I’m sure I have them in a note somewhere). While we have been asked, we have never developed a shock for that bike since the stock one isn’t so bad and can be changed without much issue. Funny, when I purchased my own 2000 DR650, I went back and forth at the big multi-brand shop comparing the XR, KLR and DR side by side. I had never ridden any of them, I was an old dirt bike guy who lost his way in Ducatis… I deemed the XR to be most dirt worthy and the KLR to be most road worthy and the DR to be right in the middle. I wanted an occasional play bike and bought the DR, never expecting it to become my all time favorite bike. We have built thousands of shocks for the KLR and the DR but seldom get requests for the Honda XRL. I even put a set of the Honda tubes and cartridges into a set of DR lowers before. We have worked on more XR650R bikes overall but service and revalving of the XRL is something we do get here in the shop.

this likely isn’t the best place for me to say this but I have been super impressed by this site and you people on here So I very much enjoy being a new member of the forum. I don’t read every detail and I am not sure of all the etiquette. I really want to be one of the TW “guys” and don’t want to be one of those type of people taking advantage of the site for commercial purposes. Having said that, I’d also like to share things I may know (or think I know) almost as much as I’d like to learn about my new TW200! The bike and this community have really impressed me.

thank you.
rick

1 - 20 of 58 Posts