TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,980 Posts
The forks on those bikes can be revalved and we have done a number of them. As a DIY thing, the racetech gold valve kits (rebound and compression kits) are a nice option if you are willing to play around. I can’t remember if the DR650 fork springs work in those forks, id have to see the stock spring dimensions (I’m sure I have them in a note somewhere). While we have been asked, we have never developed a shock for that bike since the stock one isn’t so bad and can be changed without much issue. Funny, when I purchased my own 2000 DR650, I went back and forth at the big multi-brand shop comparing the XR, KLR and DR side by side. I had never ridden any of them, I was an old dirt bike guy who lost his way in Ducatis… I deemed the XR to be most dirt worthy and the KLR to be most road worthy and the DR to be right in the middle. I wanted an occasional play bike and bought the DR, never expecting it to become my all time favorite bike. We have built thousands of shocks for the KLR and the DR but seldom get requests for the Honda XRL. I even put a set of the Honda tubes and cartridges into a set of DR lowers before. We have worked on more XR650R bikes overall but service and revalving of the XRL is something we do get here in the shop.

this likely isn’t the best place for me to say this but I have been super impressed by this site and you people on here So I very much enjoy being a new member of the forum. I don’t read every detail and I am not sure of all the etiquette. I really want to be one of the TW “guys” and don’t want to be one of those type of people taking advantage of the site for commercial purposes. Having said that, I’d also like to share things I may know (or think I know) almost as much as I’d like to learn about my new TW200! The bike and this community have really impressed me.

thank you.
rick
What a nice compliment bro. This forum website used to be just like all the rest of them out there. I think you know what I mean; with the put down's and belittling and the fear of even asking a question. We all just decided to make the TW200 Forum unlike those and rather unique. We're now one of the most recognized and best motorcycle forums on the internet. We all have a place here and each of us does their own part to make it this way overall. Yeah, we're pretty proud of ourselves. The forum is what we make of it. I personally think we've done pretty good.
Brother Rick, you just jump right in and make yourself at home. We appreciate your knowledge and help too!! Not to mention; you bring us a great product Sir, so Thank You!!
(y)(y)(y)

·
Administrator
6,444 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,980 Posts
As long as it’s a cool room… purple? I’m more an IPA guy myself. :)
Brother Rick, the room temperature thing about Purple is kind of a joke that only 4 or 5 folks know about...

Carry on... :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the kind words people! We are custom building our shocks to each customers needs. We build all of the shock here in the USA and hand assemble then test each one. We are a very small company located in western North Carolin. The best materials and practices are used. Thank you to JTW200, we appreciate the business and are really trying to increase our understanding of what our customers want from the TW With regard to our suspension. I run the same Cogent shock on my TW but have yet to try jumps or log crossings with it. I am still learning the bike and it’s capabilities. We want to make sure our customers really like the shock and setup. We have a few more out there in the world, another in Oregon with Procycle for over 2 months but for weather reasons there just hasn’t been as much feedback as we would like. All the feedback we have, agree with our own testing and is favorable.

Cost wise, the shocks we build don’t change to follow what the motorcycles cost. Lowering costs can only come from using cheaper stuff in making them, some huge scaling of volume or making the shock out of country by some other manufacturers. I’m happy with how we do this stuff and realize our product won’t be for everyone. I always have looked at this process as a way for a little of me getting to ride adventures with my customers and friends. Another big benefit for me is that I now own a TW and get to go out on it and test, test, test! :)
View attachment 221446
Thanks for the kind words people! We are custom building our shocks to each customers needs. We build all of the shock here in the USA and hand assemble then test each one. We are a very small company located in western North Carolin. The best materials and practices are used. Thank you to JTW200, we appreciate the business and are really trying to increase our understanding of what our customers want from the TW With regard to our suspension. I run the same Cogent shock on my TW but have yet to try jumps or log crossings with it. I am still learning the bike and it’s capabilities. We want to make sure our customers really like the shock and setup. We have a few more out there in the world, another in Oregon with Procycle for over 2 months but for weather reasons there just hasn’t been as much feedback as we would like. All the feedback we have, agree with our own testing and is favorable.

Cost wise, the shocks we build don’t change to follow what the motorcycles cost. Lowering costs can only come from using cheaper stuff in making them, some huge scaling of volume or making the shock out of country by some other manufacturers. I’m happy with how we do this stuff and realize our product won’t be for everyone. I always have looked at this process as a way for a little of me getting to ride adventures with my customers and friends. Another big benefit for me is that I now own a TW and get to go out on it and test, test, test! :)
View attachment 221446
thank you Rick for investing time and money in a product for our often overlooked, not so glamorous TW. Your shock is now at the top of my list for my next TW upgrade. 🤙

·
Registered
63 Posts
Speak for your self man! My TW IS glamorous! :love:
Yes! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I of course was referring to others who just don’t understand, have not been enlightened, posers....etc,etc.
Haha... I just recalled rolling into a small central Montana town with a group of us on TW’s.
We had been camping in the hills and came in for fuel and a good meal. We rode by a biker bar on Main Street with a row of Harley’s and enough leather standing outside to wipe out a ranch. As we went putting by with our tents and overstuffed bags all I could think of was ... at least we are dirty and real. We definitely caught their attention, I wonder what they were thinking? I know for sure they didn’t feel threatened! 🤣🤣

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I of course was referring to others who just don’t understand, have not been enlightened, posers....etc,etc.
Haha... I just recalled rolling into a small central Montana town with a group of us on TW’s.
We had been camping in the hills and came in for fuel and a good meal. We rode by a biker bar on Main Street with a row of Harley’s and enough leather standing outside to wipe out a ranch. As we went putting by with our tents and overstuffed bags all I could think of was ... at least we are dirty and real. We definitely caught their attention, I wonder what they were thinking? I know for sure they didn’t feel threatened! 🤣🤣
Not threatening is a great tool in the TW arsenal. I like to poke around all kind of places and like to have a minimal impact on terrain, people or animals. I like to see them like they are, not changing them by the act of getting there. I have and have had fast motorcycles, love them too but fast isn’t always the right medicine.

I was just having fun with your nice comments. I have a bit of a goofy sense of humor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings TW owners, been lurking since late 2019 after seeing some TW's around my area and began researching them. Found this site to be the most informative with tons of good information.

I put my name on a list at my local yamaha shop early in 2020 for 1, then bumped it to 2 to have a guest bike and began the long wait biding my time here.

Retired now, been riding since about 12-13yr old, so about 55+ years.

Set both bikes up based on what I learned on this forum and clearly improved them from stock. Had a number of things in stock before they even showed up based on various posts.

Currently interested in suspension now. Specifically with the new post on Cogent Dynamics by JTW200ID. I happen to also in ID with a bunch of snow. Since not I'm not likely to be riding for a few months, it's a good time to give the TW's some more mods.

With NC Rick adding to that post and being a suspension guy riding a TW, it was time to jump in and take advantage of some more "Expertise" this site provides. I'll get into some questions later.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
20,980 Posts
Welcome Neighbor!!

Reactions: PlayDirt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yesterday I installed the new rear shock from Cogent Dynamics. Mind you I am in Idaho where it is 10 degrees and we have a foot of snow so I have not ridden it yet. However you can tell just by sitting on the bike and bouncing that you now have a shock instead of a pogo stick.

Install was straightforward. I removed the seat, the front side panels and the rear wheel. I removed the stock shock (2022 model) as per the Yamaha Service manual (except that they don’t tell you to remove the rear wheel). Took a bit of jiggling to get the new shock slid up into position. I had to use the “screw” characteristics of the spring on the shock to twist it up and then to get the last lip over the hump created by rubber flaps I had to wiggle and push harder. All in all it was straightforward and not difficult.

The top mounting (rubber bumper and rebound damping control knob end) uses the stock bolt, nut and cap for the nut. There were two sealing type washers on the stock setup that I did not reuse as they would not fit and would serve not purpose anyway. 36 ft lbs of torque on the top mounting bolt.

The lower mounting uses a new bolt that Cogent sent. Therefore I did not reuse the stock pin, washer, cotter pin that held the stock shock in place. I applied blue thread locker to the nut and torqued this bolt to 36 ft lbs. (no torque value was given for it by Cogent)

FYI the shock I got had the optional adjustment ring (kind of a bling ring) for the preload adjustment. You can see it in the photo at the threaded end of the shock. The shock is upside down in this photo.

More to come once I get the Cogent DDCs installed.

View attachment 221411
One follow up on this. After installing my front fork DDCs and riding the bike a wee bit I decided to increase the preload on the rear shock. This is where that "bling ring" adjuster I mentioned really helps. Cogent sends along an adjusting tool that you insert into the holes of the adjustment nut (bling ring) and that way you can easily turn the nut about an 1/8th of a turn per stroke. I increased preload two full turns (16 holes if you are counting holes) very quickly. I still don't know if I have the right preload, but at least I know adjusting it is very easy. I'd recommend spending the extra $ to get it if you go this route. I think it was around $30 extra.

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks for the input! 2 turns increases the spring preload by 3mm. I’m feeling a bit under the weather atm but we should discuss this once you have ridden the bike some more. I am really comfortable with the added preload but if your rider sag is not close to what we are looking for, we may want to move in spring rate. We spoke about my concerns about making the bike too stiff. My riding so far (using my own “butt feel”) was that it could be easy to make the shock too stiff. I also suggest using the damping control knob if the ride feel seems soft or the bike rides a bit low dynamically. The damping control is most easily reached with the seat off but can be changed form the right side of the bike with a little finger contortions with the seat in place. Looking at the knob from the end of the shock (from the top as installed in the TW) 3 clicks clockwise would be a good change to try. I so much appreciate your input and look forward to more riding opportunities for all of us!

·
Registered
6 Posts
First, "Thanks for the welcome" This is, "The Go To" TW200 Site!

This has to be the best possible solution having a shock designed specifically for our bikes. My past experience with suspension upgrades has been to do both ends at the same time.

I'd be all in for a Shock and Fork upgrade combo and pretty sure others may as well if one was available. Rick you mentioned re-valving forks, assume you need the fork legs or maybe just the damper assemblies?

Do you have a kit for them? I have done Racetech gold valves in two of my bikes along with their shocks and they work very well and wouldn't hesitate to do that again with springs.

Just thought I'd inquire as to what you might have available for the forks or what you might plan to in the future before ordering a shock.

Thnx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Playdirt, we have Had a DDC (Drop in Damper Cartridge) kit for about 6 months now. We developed them together with Procycle and have a pretty good installed base already. I strongly agree with all of your points and purchased a TW myself to really optimize how these parts and adjustments work together. Procycle’s input along with our Dyno testing, experience and design are what has gone into both the fork kit and the shock. My objective is to build custom suspension which suits individual riders and in the early days, customer input has a huge impact on how we improve the setup. Making the suspension best for me won’t insure that others will want the exact setup. Part of my owning a TW is to gain a stronger perspective of what the community of TW200 riders really look for. The new rear shock didn’t first go to a customer until this late fall with @mrbracket with additional shocks being sent later. For sure the weather has slowed the rate of progress. I have personally used three different spring rate / damping setups on the shock on my bike. I’m a 200 lb old fella with no luggage or anything on the bike yet. I have other bikes including DR650, KTM350 EXCf and an XT 225 with our custom suspension on them. The TW is a fun and different animal with its lower travel and different tire characteristics. The tire plays a big part of our TW suspension and I have been using different pressure ranges during my testing.

as with all our products, we work with each of our customers to ensure their satisfaction with our products and setups.

Procycle have fork springs and we are working on manufacturing our own also. I expect another month or so will pass before we are also offering custom fork springs for the bike. I love hearing what folks find as shortcomings on the stock suspension as well as any upgrades they may have done. The bike Mike at Procycle has DDCs installed on had RT Gold valves prior to the installation of our valves.

I hope this helps. I’d like to have all the answers but don’t and won’t. I also don’t tire of making our bikes as good as they can be.

·
Administrator
6,444 Posts
Unlike “most” bikes, the TW relies on the fat tires for at least some of the suspension “bounce “or “absorption”. Sure, there is always room for improvement from the forks and rear shock, but don’t forget to factor in tire pressure

Yer average road bike needs high pressure to keep a constant profile, trail bikes are a bit different. Then there’s “compound”, stiff tires don’t flex as much

It all adds up, riding conditions, rider weight – compared to how the TW comes as stock from the showroom, there’s probably more room for improvement in the suspension than there is for the carb jetting

I just wish we could keep the “clack” ……

21 - 40 of 71 Posts