TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Sure looks the same . Have you looked up part numbers for both to compare, or check a cross-reference listing?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the coil part number for a 1998 big bear 350 quad. When i searched the part number on google it gave me a list of quads that the coil works with. Didn't say it would work with a tw200

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Because there is power to the coil but the coil puts out nothing.
How did you test it?

Here is why I am asking you what must seem like stupid questions. A few years ago, like you, I was convinced that I had a bad coil and took it into the shop to get a replacement. The guy said he would be happy to sell me one but that I didn't need one. I said how do you know that I don't need one. He said that in his 20 years in the business he had never seen a coil go bad. I proceeded to tell him how I had determined that mine was bad. I am sorry but I don't remember the details but am pretty sure that I followed the service manual instructions. He then explained why that approach doesn't work and said that you need a special coil tester which he showed me and said that he could test mine for $10.00. I said sure, but if mine tested bad he would have to apply the $10.00 towards a replacement one. He said fine, tested my coil which tested good and I paid him the $10.00. I reinstalled it on the bike and sure enough there was a spark, albeit a very faint one.

That is my experience with coils, yours may vary.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obviously the first thing i did was test the spark plug to see if it was getting power which it was not. Tried a new plug, then i tried a plug from my other bike that runs fine. Got no power from any of the plugs. Ruling the plug out I then I tested the two wires going to the coil with an ohmmeter. Got normal power when i hit the starter. Then i hooked the coil back up and tested it again for good measure. Still no spark. The coil is the only thing that could be preventing me from getting power. Do you still think it could be something else?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yup did that before i brought out the meter. That's to test if your getting power to the coil, and i am but the plug won't spark

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for trying to save me a buck. But I knew the coil was bad before i posted this thread. I guess I should of told you guys i know how to test coils but don't know anything about interchanging coils between machines.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hey will

according to the manual, the tw coil should be 1.3 -1.9 ohms on the primary side (ground to cdi side) and
5.3-7.9 k ohms on the secondary (cdi connection to plug end).

coils with other values can work, ie the "universal" coil i bought as a spare (and which worked on the tw) was only .5 ohms across the primary.
a lower value (less "resistance") means it draws more from the cdi than a factory coil, which could over the long term, shorten the life of the cdi, or not.

offhand, a coil with an as-built primary of ~ .3 to 3 ohms and a secondary of 4-10 k ohms *could* work on the tw.
not much help if you don't have the coil in hand...

make sure it's not a bad plug boot, i have read of tw folks having that issue. there may be a resistor tucked in there as well.

slowmod

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
When you say plug boot, what part are you exactly talking about? I assume the coil/spark plug boot? Because that is just a part of the coil either way. I already know my coil is bad regardless of whether it is the boot attached to the coil or the coil itself. Or do you mean something else leading to the coil?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts