TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people collect things. I collect experiences.

Tonight I attended a Boy Scout fund raising event.

One of the auction items was a neon Camel cigarette sign. Very cool.

View attachment 11291

I thought to myself, when am I ever going to get the chance again to buy a cigarette sign, while sipping a beer...at a Boy Scout function?:D

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I can almost picture a parking lot full of old Buick's and Oldsmobile's with Stanley lunch boxes, thermos bottle attached of course................... In this moment I miss my grampa:(

Tom

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
What a shame it was to see Stanley, an iconic American manufacturer sell out to China. That name is on so many things in all of our homes and tool boxes it is hard to accept the realities of our countries leaders for forcing so many of our jobs and plants over seas.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You bought that sign for the Hoo-Gar didn't you.

Some people collect things. I collect experiences.

Tonight I attended a Boy Scout fund raising event.

One of the auction items was a neon Camel cigarette sign. Very cool.

View attachment 11291

I thought to myself, when am I ever going to get the chance again to buy a cigarette sign, while sipping a beer...at a Boy Scout function?:D

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
You bought that sign for the Hoo-Gar didn't you.
That is perfect on a personal note. The first cig I ever smoked was a Camel because my uncle got in his car to go home and dropped the pack getting in. Me and my brother found them and headed up to the tree house to have a smoke!

GaryL

·
Registered
656 Posts
ronny-chesterfield-1.jpg 800px-Chesterfield_Ad.JPG
That is perfect on a personal note. The first cig I ever smoked was a Camel because my uncle got in his car to go home and dropped the pack getting in. Me and my brother found them and headed up to the tree house to have a smoke!

Hi GaryL: Would have been the unfiltered in that age of the world. My fav were Lucky Strikes as a very young teen, of course back then you could buy them in "Cigarette Machines" which were everywhere at about 25 cents a pack max. Just put in your quarter and pull the lever. The world was quite different then. Of course for all you youngsters, most brands where filtered, but Camel, Lucky Strike, Chesterfield and Pall Mall were the unfiltered holdouts.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

GaryL
Had to laugh... same here... a buddy and I stole a pack of Camels from his dad and we went out to the fort and tried to smoke all of them... boy were we sick puppies after that... that started a long career of smoking.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts

GaryL
Don't smoke Cigs, Cigars are my occasional pleasure...however in my collection I do have a 75th Anniversary soft pack, unopened, of Camels....making it about 20-25 years old....

Smoke Em' If You Got Em':grin:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Never smoked a day in my life. Took a drag when I was 12 and it made me sick. Never even tried it again. My Mother smoked and the smell of an ashtray would always make me sick. The smoking eventually killed her.
Another reason I don't smoke.

Tried a cigar once... wasn't too bad, but I don't need another hobby.

Weed? Once every two years I get coerced. And then it is just one hit. Usually knocks me off my ass.

Give me BEER. And a taste of good Scotch.

OH! Good Shine is always welcome too!
I'm good.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just put in your quarter and pull the lever.
Pull indeed. You know, I read that and I could feel it. The purely mechanical pull of that knob. No electrics about it. Just a stiff mechanical pull. Sometimes I miss simple machinery.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
My dad smoked Kool non-filter menthol's. Stole quite a few from him way back in the '50's. My buddy and I would smoke them or go to the 5 & dime and shoplift a couple miniature pipes, tear the Kool's up and put the tobacco in the pipes and smoke them. "Come on in, it's Kool inside" That was their add in the restaurant window. I never developed the habit, and am glad I didn't. Give me a couple beers and I'm good.

Tom in Wichita

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I grew up on a small lake and my folks had a nice public swimming beach with a very large concession stand where we served dogs, burgers, soda, ice cream but inside we had about 12 pin ball machines, Juke box and 3 pool tables and of course a cigg machine. Dad also sold singles at the counter. The place rocked every summer evening and every nice summer day. Smokes were 4 nickles and a straight pull. Dad and mom both smoked Phillip Morris Commanders, unfiltered but my Uncle, real cool guy always smoked Camels or Lucky's (LSMFT- Lucky Strike means Fine tobacco or Loose straps means flabby TTs:D ). We were boys! I am talking late 50s early 60s when a dollar bought 4 gallons of gas. Back then I think everyone smoked because it was cool and my uncle always had them rolled up in his shirt sleeve and had more hot girlfriends than any man should be allowed. Very, very fond memories of those times and some of the coolest cars ever made that are still highly regarded. I am absolutely certain the back seat of my uncles 55 Chevy would be rated XXX because there was a little round window up in the attic and right over where he parked.

GL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts