TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all! I just got back from Colorado and had the time of my life! My TW brapped through the all the passes and got me safely back to camp all three days! Hope y’all enjoy the pics and maybe share your experiences with the loop :) I got super lost In corkscrew and ended up on top Of a bonus mountain. It was wild! I had an absolute blast. Not many pictures from silverton or million dollars highway cause it dumped rain on me. Can’t wait to go back!

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Awesome trip and pics! Did you consider Black Bear Pass?

Can I ask what you had to adjust to run at those altitudes? I will be heading to that area in a few weeks, and since I can almost count on riding at anywhere from 1000' up to 12-13,000 during my trip, I'm hoping it can be done without repeated internal carb adjustments. My stock 2021 runs fine at home elevation of 1000', and did well in the Moab area up to 6000'.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Kick-ass, brother!

Reactions: Serenity138

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Very nice!!! Please tell us you're gonna be posting up some vids of these rides!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Can I ask what you had to adjust to run at those altitudes? I will be heading to that area in a few weeks, and since I can almost count on riding at anywhere from 1000' up to 12-13,000 during my trip, I'm hoping it can be done without repeated internal carb adjustments. My stock 2021 runs fine at home elevation of 1000', and did well in the Moab area up to 6000'.
So my TW is tuned for sea level pretty much. I had really forgot to make adjustments before going out there too. My bike was choking out pretty hard when I first got there. I adjusted my carb, pulled the air filter out AND left two screws off the air box and created kind of a “scoop” whichpretty much did the trick! My bike was wide open on day two and three. I had an absolute blast once the bike was feeling it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Also, I did not consider black bear pass. That one seemed wayyyyy beyond my pay grade.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Send me a PM when you'll be there, Pupsocket - maybe I can join you? I would strongly suggest going with a size down in jetting (or two.) I'm in South Park right around 9K feet elevation. My '87 with TK carb uses a factory #114 main jet that I run when I'm riding down in the plains around 5.5K or less. Everything above, I run a #110. If you know you'll be riding up high then you will be glad you made the switch. You'll want any power you can salvage - at 10K feet, a 196cc TW200 is not even producing 6HP! Oh yeah - I have a second 70T rear sprocket and chain extension we can rig you up with if interested...

I adjusted my carb, pulled the air filter out AND left two screws off the air box and created kind of a “scoop” whichpretty much did the trick! My bike was wide open on day two and three. I had an absolute blast once the bike was feeling it.
That surely helped! I have 3 large holes drilled into my airbox cover. It certainly has a noticeable effect, in my experience. It's hard to explain, but the engine "sounds" like it's breathing better. And thank you - you just made reddave add 3 more high mountain passes to the list!

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice , I have done all those passes on my Super Tenere , and really wanted to get back there on something smaller so I can explore off on some of the side trails.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well gang,
I'm up here right now in Bayfield CO. It's about 18 miles east of Durango. I brought the T-dub with us on this trip instead of the Africa Twin. I knew I'd be rustling a bunch of smallish, tight trails so, the T-dub was the correct application here instead of my other monster, the Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT which, hovers around 540 lbs. Anyway, the town of Bayfield is right at 6,900'. There are many trails I've been on in the time we've been here. Some, have put me at an altittude of 7,200'-7,400'. The T-dub, an '07 is completely bone stock, including front and rear sprockets.

We live in Lake Havasu City AZ which, hovers around 450' altitude above sea level. Of course at that altitude, the Dub zing's around town like a little speedster. Up here, the T-dub's actually been running just fine, albeit it a bit lower on power. I didn't and don't, plan on screwing around and re-jetting the carb, for a weeks stay here. As stated, the bike starts right up and runs actually quite well, given the altitude difference. We've been on many of the Colorado passes like Imogene, Engineers, Ophre, Black bear, Corkscrew Gulch and quite a few more with our jeeps. Yep, those can be fairly high. I don't think the Dub would act all that well in stock jetting up at that kind of height. Anyway, it sure is fun around here in those neat little trails etc. Don't get much like that down where we live so, taking advantage of it as much as possible while here.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
As to re-jetting or adjustments for elevation it gets down to differentiating desirability from necessity. I don't think you NEED to make any changes even though one WANTS restored seal level power .
If you just lower your performance expectations you'll get there albeit a bit slower and likely in a lower gear.
My TW's TTR 223cc motor has pulled sixth gear with a stock TW198cc carb above 11,000 ft.

Reactions: MountainMan75

·
Registered
109 Posts
Agree with Fred and Fire Up. I played around my with my carb so much initially (just because it did provide useful power on other bikes across the RPM range), but came to the realization that especially pulling steep hills here going through 1000-1500' differences, I was only gaining power in probably a very narrow RPM range on the TW and overall I was killing the MPG's and just went back to stock except for the pilot mixture setting. I know this bike tends to run lean and hot from the factory which really is where you want to go as you go up in elevation anyway. I can't speak to the elevations some of you have the WONDERFUL ability to go brappin in. Yes... I'm jealous.​

·
Registered
2019 TW 200, 2004 XT225, 2005 XT225
28 Posts
Thats an awesome place for a TW to run. I hosted a TW group ride up there last year.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Send me a PM when you'll be there, Pupsocket - maybe I can join you? I would strongly suggest going with a size down in jetting (or two.) I'm in South Park right around 9K feet elevation. My '87 with TK carb uses a factory #114 main jet that I run when I'm riding down in the plains around 5.5K or less. Everything above, I run a #110. If you know you'll be riding up high then you will be glad you made the switch. You'll want any power you can salvage - at 10K feet, a 196cc TW200 is not even producing 6HP! Oh yeah - I have a second 70T rear sprocket and chain extension we can rig you up with if interested...

That surely helped! I have 3 large holes drilled into my airbox cover. It certainly has a noticeable effect, in my experience. It's hard to explain, but the engine "sounds" like it's breathing better. And thank you - you just made reddave add 3 more high mountain passes to the list!
Can I throw in for joining the next CO Alpine Loop & nearby area ride? Been looking for others interested in going. Am in AZ. Please PM me or post if another great ride is being planned. Great ride & thanks for posting your trip info Serenity! Can't wait to see your videos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts