TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,955 Posts
http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/19953-florida-night-club-shooting-11.html

So if eveyone doesn't have the same opinion and get along mindless zombie-like, then no one is allowed to express any opinion at all?

I don't make the forum rules. Here they are for anyone who wants to read them. Again.

General

-Respect other members. Posts that are "bashing" or "inappropriate" in any nature, or harassing other members will NOT be tolerated. Do not flame, badger, hijacking other member’s threads, disrespect or taunt anyone on the forums. Posts or threads that are obvious attacks on other members or are blatant attempts to stir controversy on this site, will be deleted and an appropriate action will be taken. We will NOT tolerate abusive and or immature actions.

-Mild adult language is permitted with the understanding that if it discriminates against a member, is unnecessarily excessive, unlawful, threatening, abusive it will be removed immediately and you will be removed from the site.

·
Registered
20,179 Posts
We should be able to control ourselves and post without swearing or outright insults. When we can't, or chose not to, it is a service rendered to all the rest to have Administrators step in and urge decorum. LT does a good job of this. No argument from me, but then I am guilty of being a notorious thread hi-jacker. While done in fun I imagine I have irritated some by this. Many of us view no hi-jacking as a guideline, not a rule. Likely because we have been permitted to get away with it. Thanks for the tolerance.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Thread Hijack too.jpg

Hoot never Hi~Jack's Threads or insults Islam or lefties....:p

Innocent on all counts:nevreness:

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
LT is doing exactly what he's expected to do here as a moderator. And in this particular case, I'd say he's done it extremely well. It's never easy to keep hostility and anger out of the communities we operate, particularly if they're allowed to surface from time to time. He allowed that thread to proceed until it became apparent that the members simply couldn't conduct the discussion without lowering bar below the standards the site owners expect of everyone. Once that point has been reached, our moderators and admins have no choice but to step in and rein in the problem. While doing so is likely to incur the wrath of those who feel they were 'silenced', this isn't a "free speech without limit" zone. Our job is to enforce those limits, fairly and equitably. LT did exactly that....he asked, more than once, for everyone to keep the level of discussion up. They couldn't do it, so the thread was locked, as it should have been.

If you guys need a place to go berserk with hate, rage, extreme viewpoints or anything else controversial, let me refer you to US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum. It's a site owned by the former owners of this forum; and one which, personally, I can't tolerate for more than a post or two. Some of you guys will absolutely love it, and might never come back here! :D

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Littletommy was a good choice for an Administrator as he already had earned a lot of respect here.
LT is doing exactly what he's expected to do here as a moderator. And in this particular case, I'd say he's done it extremely well.
Can't argue that...:)

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
I think the kind of "thread hijacking" we're more concerned with is, say, a guy selling a part here, and someone jumping into the thread to say "your part is too expensive" or "you can buy it cheaper at *link*", or even "I have one I'll sell you cheaper than the OP". That's the kind of thing that we want to stop; not so much the occasional side-trip into goofy humor or natural conversational progression.

·
Super Moderator
17,955 Posts
In my opinion, one member (who shall go unnamed; we all know who I'm talking about) set out to get the thread in question locked. And he succeeded.

No one set out to shut down that thread. It only happened because it got out of control; period.

·
Registered
762 Posts
FWIW...I FULLY support LT's decision to lock up that thread.

This board is what they call "subject-oriented." Sure. there's the Off-Topic section for chitchat. But these things, rightly or not, are going to get heated.

Which has happened. When it turns into a food fight, it's time to move the party elsewhere.

There are some excellent political-discussion boards, Right or Left or welcoming both views. I belong to a couple. The thing to do when someone starts cocking his fist, is to quietly say "Outside, Mac" - and move it elsewhere.

It's a tough call but we got a nice community here. Anyone wants links to places where knock-down, drag-out fighting is encouraged, I'm happy to provide them.

:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm new so I'm not used to the procedures here. I will say that I was disappointed it was shut down but I would have done the same thing. I think we should all put ourselves in his shoes. I love debates and always get involved with a good one any chance I get but they always reach a point where it's just time to cut it off. All good things must come to an end. I don't envy you littletommy. You're like a sports official. You're not going to make everybody happy so just continue doing what you think is right and you'll keep your self respect and the respect of everybody else who deeply considers how tough your job really is.

·
Super Moderator
17,955 Posts
Thanks everyone for the support and compliments!! :D

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I think we all need to keep in mind that this is a privately owned forum (free speech doesn't apply here). The owners get to make the rules, period, end of story. Is it always completely fair and reasonable? Do I always like it? No - and no, but that doesn't matter. It's their forum, their rules. For the most part (with a few definite exceptions), I feel that the owners and administrators of this web site have done a great job, and have indeed been fair and reasonable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts