TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Actively looking for yet another TW200. This will make #3. Just keep comin' back! Must be some sort of infection. 馃お

Maybe forum members will have the answers to this question:

Why are there so many NOS (new old stock) TW200s on dealer websites? Brand new '15s, '16s, '17s, even '18s that are still in dealer stock. Why is that? Was there some inherent production flaw in those year models? Did the factory simply over-produce, forced them onto the dealers, and dealers are still stuck with them?

It's interesting that dealers will advertise, in attempt to sell a '15, 5-model-year old (or 3 or 4 year old, fill in the blank) brand new TW and expect to sell it for the same price as a brand new '20? At full pop! I understand there is no difference between them except for paint...unless there was some issues that makes buyers reticent to buy! (And, yes, advertised price and actual out-the-door price may differ significantly....)

Anybody got insight on the mystery of why there are so many new unsold TWs still in dealer stock?

Registered
Common folklore here is that the TWs arrive at dealerships packed two-to-a-crate and the dealers sometimes may be unable to sell both.

Reactions: Purple

Registered
Where are you seeing these old-stock TWs? When I bought my 2019 a couple of weeks ago, I was told it was the last one available anywhere for hundreds of miles. I definitely have not seen any new earlier models.

Registered
Add to that the fact that there are always used 3 year old TWs for sale at near full pop with 3,000 miles on the clock.

I willingly paid full price for my VanVan, though that saved $1,000 in tax and fees.

These things hold their value too well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Two cents. I believe: TWs are frequently IMPLUSE buys. Cool Bike! The Wife / Kid will ride it. Then NOBODY rides it at all. But the Purchase Excuse (insert your choice) hasn't disappeared. Now their practically new cool TW with only 125 miles is sitting in the corner unused. Too much invested to give it away so asking prices are nearly new retail. "I'll just hang onto it." Kinda like hot rod car projects.

All this encourages Dealers to keep their prices high even on NOS units. Plus Dealer has had it so long its not on his floorplan finance plan (he's actually paid for it long ago -) so that lowering his price has him losing actual money!

Nobody buys a TW unless he's hunting, farming, or RV'ing. Or one of us Idiots who see them as the coolest Big Boy Scooter known to Man!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Registered
Actually, it's the scooter that's cool to have your friends see you riding! One of the reasons I bought mine...

I bought a '14 in 2015 as a dealer leftover. Paid about $500 less than the '14 MSRP, which was still about $250 less than they were asking for the '15. Liked the colour of the '14 better as well. Win-win all around.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Well I guess I should apologize. I have been mislead by an outfit I know nothing of: Smartcycleguide? Just another internet seller? Or? They come up frequently when Googling "TW200 for sale". They show ads, mostly placed by dealers, all around the country. New 15s, 16s, 17s, etc. Makes one believe they're out there everywhere! But in reality I suspect that dealers never pulled their ads, or SCG never pulled the posts, and they're in it for the hits they get online. All the ads say posts have been up "over one month". Rather, I suspect some have been up for years! I certainly have to question the integrity of a seller so off track.

Indeed, when I googled "who is Smart Cycle Guide?", this post popped up from ADV Rider:

(Quote) "Anyone know what's going on with the search engine smartcycleguide.com? It's full of used bike listings - hardly any of them current - plenty of pics with bad, inaccurate descriptions and a follow-up email inquiry system that I can only conclude does not work. Why does this site even exist?" And others chimed in with the same sentiments.

Seems I'm not the only one that's been duped! Sorry to lead members down the wrong path. "If it's on the internet it has to be true", right? I became suspicious when I checked inventory at local Yamaha dealers who had posted these older TWs - maybe way back when - to find out that they either had NO TWs in stock, or they had maybe one or at most two 2020 TWs. So I smelled a rat. And here we are.

Indeed TWs are tough to come by right now, new or used. Just a matter of time and patience I suppose!

Thanks -

Registered
Try setting up a search on craigslist, maybe within a 200 mile radius (or more) from where you live.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Brian. I've done that - out to 500 miles. There's a few, but very few used other than just a few new 2020s advertised at full pop by dealers. Inclined to find a used one from 2001 up, where someone already has installed the right goodies, ready to go! Save me some time, this time. Been there, done that!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Not right now. Any used (and I don't ever intend to buy new at dealer-inflated prices) are more than 1,000 miles from me. Odd. I'll bet there's a few out there that people want to get rid of, but just don't know how or are afraid to go about it.

Registered
I'll bet there's a few out there that people want to get rid of, but just don't know how or are afraid to go about it.
I've had some success in the past with putting up WANTED: ads on Craigslist and similar sites...

Put up an ad "WANTED: Yamaha TW200", let it run for a while, renew it every few days to keep it near the top of the listings, and see if you get any bites!

Registered
Don't forget about the Suzuki Van Van 200. With you looking at your third TW purchase you might catch up to me (I have owned 3 also). I just passed break-in mileage (685 now) on my 2019 Van Van. Bike runs sweet and I can say the seat is marvelous. Not sure how close you are to a Suzuki dealer, but I found my Van Van locally and consider it equal or better to the TW.

Registered
Maybe a Graybeard or Yamaha Insider knows some information about the production cycles when TW200s are actually made. Has to be sporadic runs where hundreds (couldn't possibly be thousands could it?) are coming off the lines and being crated for shipment. Are they produced because Dealers are placing orders, or are they produced and then sold to the Dealers? Seeing how they never change, wouldn't surprise me it two model 2019/2020 years were produced back to back, with any change of color / decals stuck in during mid-run.

Come on Secret Keepers, what is the skinny on our Little Friends?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Registered
Cycletrader is no good, it shows inventory the dealer doesn't have, I chased many a TW rabbit down that hole.

Ended up finally getting one call back from a dealer who found a crate of two a couple hundred miles away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts