TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought you all might appreciate the comments in this thread:

Yamaha XT250 - Page 3 - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

I have posted on the XLForum for close to 5 years (mainly carb and electrical) and it is interesting how many Sportster riders have other bikes and even touted the TW

Over time, I hope to compile something for the TW, as done for the Sportster, but I suppose if I searched the stickies here, I would find it already done

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yup, if you spend 10,000 hours reading everything on this forum you will find that almost everything has been done.....maybe 3 dozen times....:p
Likely, since there appear to be minimal changes for three decades...which means that I probably will have little additional input to share.
On the Sportster forum, there are significant changes, every few years, to make updates beneficial.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well, Yes,
I have a varied interest and just like food groups you don't have to eat Tw200 every day,
Variety is good,
I love my Buell, Harley and BMW as well as the TW,
Its OK to love !

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way too many things to go wrong on a Harley - let alone dressing up as a pirate every time you go out ..... :D
Don't have to do so, just because some (many?) posers do.
In a store, most would not even know I rode a M/C, other than shift lever marks on my left boot and a bit of helmet hair.

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much more complicated that a TW, but generally reliable.
I have more than one friend with over 200,000 miles on a Sportster.
The motor shakes enough (883 or 1200), solid mount (03 and earlier) or rubber mount (04 and up) to make checking both ends of both battery cables preventative maintenance item one or twice a year.
Mine were ridden a 1,000 miles a month without much more than oil changes and torquing fasteners.

Reactions: Purple

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, Yes,
I have a varied interest and just like food groups you don't have to eat Tw200 every day,
Variety is good,
I love my Buell, Harley and BMW as well as the TW,
Its OK to love !
I appreciate the BMW R1200R, after a two hour test ride, before buying the Bonneville, but it would have been a significant budget stretch.
Variety is the spice of life and I have enjoyed all 14 bikes.
No photos on the computer of the first 10, but here is the
Sportster 883 at 6,000 miles
Sportster 1200 Sport at 5,000 miles
Triumph Bonneville at 7,000 miles.

7 June 03 883.JPG 18 Jan 05 right 1200S.JPG 21 May 2013.JPG Zion 23 March 2013.JPG Pahrangat Lake.JPG

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And variety does not have to be limited to motorcycles!

73 Datsun.jpg 350 cu in.jpg V8 under the hood.jpg

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Way too many things to go wrong on a Harley - let alone dressing up as a pirate every time you go out ..... :D
Pirate, funny! I like to dress up like a motocrosser when I ride the TW! muutt.gif

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I think those dirt bike pajamas are pretty obnoxious myself. And they don't have any protection, so my jeans are more protective. I don't understand the need to dress like a clown everytime you go riding, and make sure I make fun of all of my friends that do as much as possible everytime we go riding.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Haha. How true you are brother. I have said that for years. "Hey I bought a Harley,now I need to get some boots with buckles,some chaps,a wallet with a chain,a belt buckle,a leather vest (with some sort of decoration on the back of course),a Harley hat,Harley sun glasses,grow a ponytail,grow a goatee,get Harley bumper stickers,get Harley window stickers,get a Harley tag for the front of my truck,cut the sleeves out of my shirts and get a silly looking little helmet and I'll be set". Lol. At least that seems to be the process where I live anyway.. Lol

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The purpose of this thread was to show the respect and even recommendation of the TW by more than one member of a Harley-Davidson (not affiliated) Sportster forum.
The Sportster is the sport bike of the Harley world and most often a different breed of H-D rider.

Although Sportsters are not often "dressers" or 'baggers", some are loaded up for long distances.
Friends have ridden from the east coast of the USA to Tok, Alaska and points beyond.
Those riders are not in pirate costumes.
Most are in one piece riding suits and full-face helmets, with bikes loaded as were Admiral and Mrs. Admiral on their recent cross-country trip.

Attached is a photo of a friend's bike. 220,000 miles on two Sportsters in 14 years.
He is based in Michigan, almost my age and still rides in -20 F weather.

Sad to see such stereotypical comments on this forum.

Paul's Sportster.jpg

Reactions: admiral

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Folks get bored in the winter and have too much time on their hands and get a bit crazy, the comments are in jest.
The purpose of this thread was to show the respect and even recommendation of the TW by more than one member of a Harley-Davidson (not affiliated) Sportster forum.
The Sportster is the sport bike of the Harley world and most often a different breed of H-D rider.

Although Sportsters are not often "dressers" or 'baggers", some are loaded up for long distances.
Friends have ridden from the east coast of the USA to Tok, Alaska and points beyond.
Most are in one piece riding suits and full-face helmets, with bikes loaded as were Admiral and Mrs. Admiral on their recent cross-country trip.

Attached is a photo of a friend's bike. 220,000 miles on two Sportsters in 14 years.

View attachment 74146

·
Registered
13,790 Posts

View attachment 74146

I think we should give the credit to the Rhodetrips for their travels on their TW's fully loaded. They did park their TW's at our place when one of TW's broke and they swapped out TW's before continuing on. Only way Mrs. Admiral and I would ride that far is in the comfy confines of a pickup towing the TW's!:p

I did find the comment about dressing up as pirates king of funny. Even I bought a brown leather jacket and thought I was one badass mother when I rode my Sportster. I did own a 94 1200 Sporty that I rode from Idaho to Minnesota and back several times but this was pre-Mrs. Admiral.:D

I actually found my 94 Sporty to be much more mechanically reliable than any of the TW's I've owned. Only thing I ever had to do maintenance wise for the Sporty was add gas and oil changes. Even the belt never needed and adjustment during the time I owned it. Oh, I take that back, I had to replace a few engine side pieces after I crashed it once (minor damage). Not counting power, the actual bugs in your face ride feel was quite similar.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dress like a pirate no matter what I'm doing! LOL, I really do.
LOL!

I am not extolling the Harley "mystic", but there is some Harley history in my family.

Dad survived riding one in East Los Angeles in the early fifties. He is now 90.

My uncle Paul Crowder road a Harley from Los Angeles to Idaho Falls at age 21, in 1933 and became Idaho Falls' first M/C officer, established the first police radio system in Idaho and became the first local aircraft owner.
He told me that he demonstrated his riding skills to the chief of police by riding it standing on the seat, no hands.

BTW, there is plenty of criticism of dressing like a poser (all new leathers, etc) on the XLForm and its predecessor, Sportster.org.

Reactions: admiral
1 - 20 of 23 Posts