TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, another question - how is this thing as a city commuter bike? I have a 2 mile commute to my office and I was going to get an old Vespa P125x (still might actually). My thinking is that:

a) i might look ridiculous on a scooter and i know i will get made fun of but i can deal with that...

i might not be able to keep up with traffic (40-50) even on the backroad to town.

this bike might solve all my problems as well as allow me to ride on trails AND bring it with me camping, vacations, etc..

More to the story - I have a Triumph Bonneville but I find that for some reason, I don't ride this into town as much as I wish I did - something about the weight or the fact that it has to warm up - i don't know.

Just thinking out loud here - scooter or tw200?

how are these fat tires on the pavement??

·
Registered
203 Posts
My answer...

40 to 50 is perfect, 60 is the pushing the comfortable limit on standard gearing.

Big tires are great on tarmac, they absorb the bumps and holes nicely. You won't find it slow to turn.

Are you an off road rider? The TW inspires confidence and security in the mud and on the gravel.

And you can pile up tonnes of gear on it too.

I would rather chew my foot off than ride a Vespa.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
ANY bike should be warmed up. Just sayin'.

I don't think a Vespa will compare favorably against the TW as a commuter until you reach the 200 class scooters, though scooters do offer more storage space. My 2stroke PS200 WITH a sidecar will smoke a TW, but I doubt a modern 125 would even come close.

TW's will run 55-60 all day long. They'll sound like BB's in a bathtub during the process, but that's normal. Scooters will generally require much more mechanical attention per mile traveled.

Tires are not an issue, and I'd much rather kiss a pothole with a 26" diameter tire with 6" of travel than an 16" with 3.

Laugh factor is arguably lessened with something more motorcycle-like. If anyone still laughs at your TW paint it military green and they'll be just enough concerned about your potential lack of mental stability to withold laughing overtly.. Paint a Vespa the same color and they'll snort lattes out their noses trying to suppress a giggle at your expense.

Let us know if there's anything more we can do to prejudice your decision.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh man - you guys are funny!

I started with the scooter thing to avoid paying for parking - figured i could pull it up on the curb and park it at the bike rack...

that being said - i havent been able to pull the trigger.

i think this bike is exactly what i need..

and i'm not really an off road rider yet - but I will be soon, i suppose.

i used to have jeep - and this is like the jeep of bikes, right.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
A vespa, depending on the model, can be as fast or faster than a TW200.

However, A Tw will be much safer in that the larger wheels are much more forgiving of rough road or obstacles in he road.

Secondly, with 204 and 204 Bridgestone tires, it will be just as smooth as a Vespa.

As two more bonus features, One is of course you can go off road, (try that on a vespa.

The other is the incredable amount of cargo the TW can carry.

Phelonius

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok, another question - how is this thing as a city commuter bike? I have a 2 mile commute to my office and I was going to get an old Vespa P125x (still might actually). My thinking is that:

a) i might look ridiculous on a scooter and i know i will get made fun of but i can deal with that...

i might not be able to keep up with traffic (40-50) even on the backroad to town.

this bike might solve all my problems as well as allow me to ride on trails AND bring it with me camping, vacations, etc..

More to the story - I have a Triumph Bonneville but I find that for some reason, I don't ride this into town as much as I wish I did - something about the weight or the fact that it has to warm up - i don't know.

Just thinking out loud here - scooter or tw200?

how are these fat tires on the pavement??
The TW would work for you fine, on pavement or off. Having said that I really like a scooter, I have an 05 honda silverwing and love it, bought new after selling my 1500 nomad, I made this decision after owning bikes for 45 years and have not regretted it once, I do own a TW and enjoy it as well, but if you plan on using it for commuting a BW125 or a honda 150 might make sense too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It might get warmed up by then,it would be an excellent bike for you. Bikes can park in a lot of free spaces. If I had a 2 mile commute I would walk.

·
Registered
590 Posts
That's basically what I got mine for, a scooter replacement. I have a short commute as well, but really like to get that bit of riding in, every day.

So I got a cheap used one, and it worked very well. As the TW is so short and light it is a dream to manhandle around in town.

A top box is easy to add for scooter-type lockable storage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have both a Vespa ET-4 (150cc) and the TW, as a commuter the Vespa wins hands down, will carry me at 60 all day long, easy to park and more acceptable in some places. Of course the Vespa likes pavement, the TW could care less on what it is being driven.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i'm 2 miles from work as well and (since i definitely don't run marathons) find i don't commute on it since atgatt and warmup take nearly as long as cycling (summer) or walking (winter). i would think a fuel injected scooter with underseat storage would be pretty practical for a short commute......but no fun for anything else.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuel injection is key - i had a kawasaki vulcan 500 for a while and it started up at push of a button in the dead of winter - sold it cause it wasn't cool enough. My Bonneville takes forever to start if it's below 50 degrees.

How about these tws? Obviously they need to warm up - how easy/quick to start up?

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Well, my TW (2005) starts right up. When its already been running I don't need to use the choke at all, but if it's sat for a while or cold out...1)pull choke all the way out. 2)start (usually right away) 3)when running for about 10 seconds I push the choke half-way in (feels like a notch at that point) 4)put on helmet...then off I go.

As I ride depending on outside temp, I push the choke all the way in about a mile down the road.For your 2 mile commute, during colder weather you probably won't have enough time/distance/need too/or have too, push the choke all the way in.I think mine warms up rather normal, but others experience when starting and warming up their TW's are different...and that the way it is!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
by the way - i was making fun of myself when i said the Vulcan wasnt 'cool enough' - what i should have said was - i sold it cause i am an idiot - and because i have a brother who rides a Harley Softail - you know how those guys are about bikes that are not Harleys - ha, ha.

·
Registered
204 Posts
mine was lean from the factory, but now has much quicker warm up since i rejetted it.

a tw with a 45 tooth rear sprocket and a rack/bag is the perfect city commuter. i ride mine every day to work, which is 5 miles each way @ 30-45 mph. the rack/bag makes it great for running some errands at lunch time or picking up some food to go. i will always have a small dual sport for my commuter. no sense in racking up the unneeded miles on a heavier bike.

·
Registered
204 Posts
mine was lean from the factory, but now has much quicker warm up since i rejetted it.

a tw with a 45 tooth rear sprocket and a rack/bag is the perfect city commuter. i ride mine every day to work, which is 5 miles each way @ 30-45 mph. the rack/bag makes it great for running some errands at lunch time or picking up some food to go. i will always have a small dual sport for my commuter. no sense in racking up the unneeded miles on a heavier bike.

·
Registered
369 Posts
by the way - i was making fun of myself when i said the Vulcan wasnt 'cool enough' - what i should have said was - i sold it cause i am an idiot - and because i have a brother who rides a Harley Softail - you know how those guys are about bikes that are not Harleys - ha, ha.

Your brother sounds like a pretty smart guy, I love my softail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my bonneville is a 2002 - this is when they were still made in Hinckley Factory (UK)... It's red and silver, has 4K miles, offroad pipes, tank badges, fork gaitors.. are you talking about a trade? I'd need about $4500 for my bike, I think. If I can even bring myself to sell it.

my brother has a fat boy - it's awesome and he rides it all over the country. he just got back from a trip to The Keys. He's not smart though - he doesnt even wear a real helmet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts