TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
i dont think there is anything the same about these two bikes. ive ridden both of them and they are two different beast all together.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Its about like comparing a jeep rubicon to Ivan "ironman" Stewarts protruck. Its still a comparison though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's more of a review than a comparison ... I couldn't help comparing it to the TW. In some places I've been on top of mountains, I would take the TW hands down over the WR, and in most other places, I'd choose the WR.

My next bike will most likely be a 2012 WR250R (lowered 1")

Thanks for watching. Are you on YouTube? Subscribe?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Only stuff I could find about it over at adv was.....

My '06 Owners Manual says:

Competition use (Off Road)

-Oil Change Every fifth race or 1000km / 621 miles

-Valve check every third race or 500 km / 310 miles

General Use:

- Oil Change 3,000 km 1864 miles or 3 months then 5km / 3100 miles or 6 months

- Valve checks are the same as oil

These are race bikes, not dualsports. There are 5 titanium valves in there. If your looking for a bike to ride hard and put away wet look elsewhere. If you don't mind doing a preventative rebuild every few seasons then go nuts. Otherwise you'll pay through the nose when it seizes. If you really want a lightweight street legal race bike and don't mind the maintenance that comes with it then I'd be looking at something oranger. It's a shame that Honda did away with the XR's like they did. You know why they did though...they last too long!

Right off several Yamaha Dealers Websites

WR250R

Directly descended from our YZ motocrossers and WR motocross off-road machines

The all-new WR250R is here to make Yamaha’s off-road prowess street accessible.

Not exactly an enduro model and not a streetbike either, the WR250R is for riders who ride off-road more than on. Its sibling, the supermoto-inspired WR250X, is for riders who spend more time on pavement.

www.Topspeed.com had nice things to say about it but also said

If it is to make a short, but still proper introduction for the 2010 Yamaha WR250R, I would call it an off-road motorcycle with a headlight and mirrors.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKx2MQ1zd10&feature=related[/media]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Competition use

General Use:

These are race bikes, not dualsports. There are 5 titanium valves in there. If your looking for a bike to ride hard and put away wet look elsewhere. If you don't mind doing a preventative rebuild every few seasons then go nuts. Otherwise you'll pay through the nose when it seizes. If you really want a lightweight street legal race bike and don't mind the maintenance that comes with it then I'd be looking at something oranger. It's a shame that Honda did away with the XR's like they did. You know why they did though...they last too long!

... huh? Actually, a dualsport is exactly what a WR250R is, well, according to Yamaha. (you know, those guys who make them)

Race bike? You mean, something like this?

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you know any serious WR owners you'll know how much they spend on maintenance... rings, pistons, seals, gaskets - not every year but every few months it seems. The WR is a offroad racebike with a few lights stuck on and it about 6" too high for me.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

Competition use

General Use:

If you know any serious WR owners you'll know how much they spend on maintenance... rings, pistons, seals, gaskets - not every year but every few months it seems. The WR is a offroad racebike with a few lights stuck on and it about 6" too high for me.

I think you guys must be talking about the WR250F model or something. The WR250R and WR250X have proven to be pretty reliable bikes other than a few problems with fuel pumps on the early 2008 models, and eating chain guides if the chain isn't tensioned properly. Big Dog, dualsporter extrordinaire has over 32,000 miles on his, with over 7,000 on his trip to Alaska. You can check out his mods to the 250R here, and his ride reports, most of them on the WR250R here. Even the 250X, intended to be a road bike has been dual sported. Scotty, Rydnseek on ADV has put knobbies on his WR250X and ridden it hard. You can check out his blog here. Pretty much everything I've read about the WR250R and X has been positive. I would have one if they weren't so expensive, but it would be in addition to the TW, not instead of.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Last year i did the hoosier national forest ride and i ended up riding with bigdog and roaddad from advrider both of them have wr250's roadads bike had over 31,000 miles and bigdogs had over 27,000 miles and the only things they ever had to do are mentioned above in b-dubs post. Valve adjustment around 16,000-18,000 miles i believe. Im here to say that both of those guys ride the piss out of their bikes. They are two of the fastest guys ive ever ridden with despite being 60+ years old. Definitely solid bikes. I believe i remember them saying they have more electrical output than their klr's which would be nice.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I have a little story with that ride. There was a gps track for the HNF route but only about 1 in 7-10 had a gps. I was riding in a group of about 6 guys and one feller had a problem with his bike so a few of us stopped to help him. When he got going again we arrived at the next intersection and didnt see or hear anybody and the guy who had a gps was long gone. We were out in the stick and nobody knew which way to go so at the four way we all went a different direction. I came up to the next intersection a few miles down the road. I shut of the dub and didnt hear a thing, no bikes anywhere. I sat there a few minutes and finally i heard a few bike ripping towards me so i got ready. Two WR's caming flying by and they both had gps so i thought these are the fellers i need to follow. I took of getting it after them and after a few minutes i would come out of a corner and they would be going into the next and this went on for a while on the gravel roads. I was killing the poor ol TW trying to hang with these guys. Finally they stopped at an intersection where there was a few other bikes and quickly took off again this time on pavement. After about 30 minutes of wfo we take off on a trail down to the side of an interstate . There was a huge tunnel going under the interstate probably over half a mile long. We all rode through it which was really cool. When we stopped and i yelled at them man you guys were flying and then they took off their helmets. I was not expecting a couple of 60+ gray haired fellers. Later on while bs'ing bigdog told me he had a website and we talked about trips and riding stuff. Then the next day i rode 220+ miles with them and two other guys. I must be weird because i always end up hanging out with the older guys when in groups old people. I feel like i have more in common with them than people my own age "31"

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I hear ya on the height ... I'm 5'6" so this bike to technically too tall for me. I know a few people with WRs from YouTube, but this is the first I've heard of any high maintenance on them. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have riddern both a wr 290 set up for trail riding, and my tw..back and fourth...the tw seat is way softer, i love the power and nibleness of the wr. Its power is comparable to my ktm 525 quad so im use to that..overall its a great bike, has the power to get you out of trouble, and in...but when it comes to nasty hill climbs and creek bottoms theres something about riding my tw with the 70 tooth sprocket, atv tire, and low seat height that makes me happy...

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's more of a review than a comparison ... I couldn't help comparing it to the TW. In some places I've been on top of mountains, I would take the TW hands down over the WR, and in most other places, I'd choose the WR.

My next bike will most likely be a 2012 WR250R (lowered 1")

Thanks for watching. Are you on YouTube? Subscribe?

dont use dog bones to lower a wr250. thats how the one i rode was set up and the dog bones made the rear end feel real loose and wiggly. like it wanted to sway from side to side. not a tight feeling. as soon as i hit a little dirt pile on the side of the bike dealership i thought the back end was gonna fall off. imho lowering a bike can create a loose feeling ride.

·
Registered
428 Posts
im 5'8" tall and just barely touch with both tipy toes on the wr250. bout the same on my 2012 suzuki dr-z400s.

·
Registered
100 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts