TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just because it was affordable and mostly because I am a geek, I tried out 3 bulbs for the speedometer instrument light.

The bulbs were:

1. The stock incandescent T10 3.4W bulb (Yamaha part # 4G1-84744-00-XX). Price: about $3.

2. A white 5 SMD T10 LED JDM bulb from e-bay seller K2 Motor (Part # LED-194WH-03). Price: $1.88 for 2 and free shipping.

3. A Natural White WLED-NW5 from superbrightLEDs.com. Rated at 0.3 watts. Price: $3.94 plus shipping.​

The pictures below are in the same order as the 3 bulbs listed above (Stock, K2 Motor, and superbrightLEDs.com respectively):

Notes –

•The photo of the K2 Motor bulb (the middle photo above) shows a bluish halo around the perimeter of the speedo glass – unfortunately that cool halo is pretty much invisible to the eye in real-world viewing (bummer).

•All camera settings were held the same for each picture and the background ambient light was the same. I turned automatic white balance off and used a setting of Tungsten for all 3 photos. All photos were taken from the same distance and as close to the same angle as I could get. All 3 photos are from the same speedometer –the trip odometer reading in one picture is different because I bumped the adjuster knob when I was changing bulbs (I was never good at playing Operation as a kid either).

•These bulbs have the wedge base. They just push in – no turning involved.

•The stock incandescent bulb had the tightest fit in the socket and the K2 Motor bulb was the loosest. The superbrightLEDs.com bulb was a bit tighter than the K2 Motor bulb. I am not sure if the K2 Motor bulb will eventually vibrate loose. It might be just fine. I will be your guinea pig and test this and let you know if it ever vibrates loose. Yes, I would do that – just for you!

•If you want to try any of these and you haven’t changed a speedo bulb before, Rainman has an excellent write-up in this thread: speedometer light bulb . (Rainman has many good write-ups – if you run across one of his posts, make sure to click “Like” if you feel so inclined. He does a great job.)

•If you try one of the LEDs remember that they are polarity sensitive so if you plug one in and it does not light up then just rotate it 180 degrees.

This is what the bulbs look like:

SUMMARY

•The LEDs will probably last longer. However, it is not like a burnt out speedo bulb is going to leave you stranded so it really isn't that important. The LEDs do seem to illuminate the trip odometer slightly better (applicable on the later year TWs).

•The LED lights provide a slightly different color light than stock incandescent. (Amaze your friends with your modding abilities!!!)

•The LEDs will consume less power than the stock 3.4 watt incandescent. The superbrightleds.com light is only 0.3 watts. (I couldn’t find a power rating for the K2 Motor LED).

•Out of all 3 bulbs I like the K2 Motor bulb the best because of the color of its light and the extra trip odometer lighting (compared to stock) – it is also by far the cheapest. However it also had the least tight fit, which may or may not be an issue.

•The stock bulb is just fine. Only a geek would worry about upgrading it and only a REAL dweeb would take the time to write up a comparison.

I hope you found this post illuminating.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'm too lazy to look right now but do they come in red?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
thanks for taking the time. btw: you touched his funny bone!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Thanks for the very nice write up.-----------------------------------------pause------------------------------------- DWEEB. (o;. OMM.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yep. superbrightLEDs.com has them in red for when you are infiltrating the enemy hideouts.
Red is purty and it keeps wolverines fromm stealing my loonyum foil hats.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very cool! I like the looks of the K2 bulb the best! Since my bike is an 06 in blue, it will look better than the stock yellowish light bulb!

Yes, I'm a geek!

Thanks for the comparison! Now I gotta order some!

Question? Does anyone know if you can get LED replacement bulbs for your dash lights (Turn, Highbeam & Nuetral)? I cant see them at all on a sunny day!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Very cool! I like the looks of the K2 bulb the best! Since my bike is an 06 in blue, it will look better than the stock yellowish light bulb!

Question? Does anyone know if you can get LED replacement bulbs for your dash lights (Turn, Highbeam & Nuetral)? I cant see them at all on a sunny day!
Hi Swamp,

Two things:

1) The bluish tint is much more apparent in the photos than in actual viewing. In actuality the K2 Motor LED is less yellow than the superbrightLEDs.com bulb but it really doesn't have a significant blue tint.

2) Yes, you can buy LEDs for the other dash lights from superbrightLEDs.com. Look for the BA9SF-x-12V series of LEDs with 1 LED and 180 degree viewing angle and make sure you get them in the color that matches your indicator window is (i.e., green for the Neutral Switch, blue for High Beam, etc.). HOWEVER, I have all of those and I only find them to be just marginally brighter than stock. Because I was, like you, trying to see the lights better during the day, I just recently upgraded from their 1 LED version to their 4-LED bulb version in green for the Neutral switch. I will say that it is an improvement over the BA9SF-G-12V single LED bulb. If you want to order the 4 LED version it is BA9S-G4-90-12V.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For reasons unknown I have a ten pack of white LED bulbs that fit the turn/high beam/neutral light sockets.. My neutral socket keeps burning out LED bulbs. They work for maybe a day. In direct sun I find the Incandescent to be easier to see than LED anyway, so I put back the stock bulb.

I have LED running in my high beam and it looks nice. A good blue glow. The turn signal only works in one direction.. LED light blinks on a left turn, does nothing on a right turn. This is due to a polarity change in the circuit.

So I have a K2 bulb in my speedo, LED bulb in my high beam, and incandescent in the turn and neutral sockets.

My K2 style bulb is bright enough I see the blue halo at night time.

I don't have the fancy tripometer like all you newer bike guys :)

8702882655_6219b0cc02_z.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Silverhead. I changed out my instrument lighting with the SuperBrightLed bulbs on both my TW's(99,04) yesterday. Turn signal indicators on both work in both directions. The bulbs I bought for instrumentation lighting were the 4 LED. They are brighter than the stock bulbs. I wish I had bought the single LED for the Hi beam as it is too bright at night for my liking.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just ordered lights for the entire dash. And for about half the lumens and $14, a h4 bulb for the headlight. Figure it's worth a try even though the it doesn't make sense. The guy I bought it from put a 60/55w in there and it's straining my 87 electrical and my battery. I will let you know how bad the night time riding is, lol.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Swamp,

2) Yes, you can buy LEDs for the other dash lights from superbrightLEDs.com. Look for the BA9SF-x-12V series of LEDs with 1 LED and 180 degree viewing angle and make sure you get them in the color that matches your indicator window is (i.e., green for the Neutral Switch, blue for High Beam, etc.). HOWEVER, I have all of those and I only find them to be just marginally brighter than stock. Because I was, like you, trying to see the lights better during the day, I just recently upgraded from their 1 LED version to their 4-LED bulb version in green for the Neutral switch. I will say that it is an improvement over the BA9SF-G-12V single LED bulb. If you want to order the 4 LED version it is BA9S-G4-90-12V.
A year ago I replaced the signal and neutral indicator bulbs on our two TW's with these LED's (12 V, green, 32°, that is, BA9S-G4-32-12VAC) after reading a thread somewhere on here. They are the 4 LED ones. They're pretty visible during the day and not a problem at night. You do see the neutral light flash for an instant going between first and second but that's not a problem either. The bright light does help one remember to cancel the signal, though my wife can still forget sometimes, during the day. (So can I occasionally.) I did NOT replace the high beam indicator, as that's on much more at night and I expected it would be a problem if it were so bright.

I had initially tried the 90° ones, and found, as you did with the ones you tried, that indeed they were only marginally brighter than stock, so I got the 32° ones, which are significantly brighter. I actually also have an LED speedo bulb (the WLED-NW5 you tested) that I haven't gotten around to installing in over a year. I don't ride at night that much - my issue was more being able to easily see the turn signal indicator, and to a lesser extent the neutral light, in daylight. The bulbs referenced above solved that problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts