TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
The bike is old news. The name of the bike sounds like a 2 year old's first words. When you put them side by side, the only reason you would call it "competition" is the fat tire. It is a scooter with mild off road capability. Not a bike I would take off road. They take every trait that makes the TW desirable (simplicity-durability-long standing platform), change it, and call it an improvement. The Van Van has been alive and well overseas for a while. I like my carb. I like my exhaust. I especially like my gearbox. I find 6th gear every time. My highly mechanized gear box gives me a clutchless shift into sixth gear with no damage to the machine. This overdrive allows the bike to fly down the road at 65 mph. with no change in rpm from 5th gear. The highly mechanized gearbox can sense my deceleration and lets me down shift from 6th to 4th in one motion. The TW is the best fat tire dual purpose enduro single cylinder bike in the world. Nobody should get any other fat tire dual purpose enduro single cylinder bike.

As a matter of hypothetical conjecture, that bike may trigger the formation of gangs (TW v Van Van). I would hate to see all the guys on this site with 1% patches on their vests heading to the rumble (which hopefully would be centrally located).

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Dang! Did I ever misinterpret the title. I thought it was going to be something like Hare Scrambles only TW's could enter.

BTW, a while back I saw a VanVan at the local dealer and I really like the tires they put on them -- I do 98.95% of my riding on asphalt.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I was in Holeshot yesterday and I will say the seat looks comfy, but the tires were too street orientated for my liking.

They also had a KTM 250 exc dual sport. Not sure why KTM brought it out? Their 350 is the one I would buy.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
"The only other mc that could be considered competition for what the TW is or does, is the Kawasaki Super Sherpa"

My buddy rides a Super Sherpa and I hate to admit it but I think it is superior to my TWs in just about every way.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you ride street with mild trails, buy the Van Van. It is superior there. If you ride off road, buy the TW, it is better there. Simple huh?
Having owned 3 TWs and one Van Van I know. I don't have to theorize or rely on conjecture.
Have you done any mods to your Vanvan? Or just gas and ride? How many miles? Is that seat as nice as it looks? Sorry - inquiring mind. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
"The only other mc that could be considered competition for what the TW is or does, is the Kawasaki Super Sherpa"

My buddy rides a Super Sherpa and I hate to admit it but I think it is superior to my TWs in just about every way.
Although this forum is great and I am on the fence about selling my TW and my F650 and replacing those with the Super Sherpa. I know of a SS for sale and all things considered I could replace 2 bikes for one lowering my costs for plates & insurance. Of course there are compromises just like everything else in life but for the amount of time I ride and where I go both on and off road I think the SS could fill most if not all of my wants and needs. And I think what I might miss the most if I sell the Tdub is this forum, so many good people here and enough activity that things keep moving. In any case riding season is done here until spring so I have some time to ponder which fork in the road I will travel moving forward.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You may find the insurance premiums go up when dropping down to one bike. Both mine and my riding buddies insurance went down, when we added another motorcycle.
Something to check up on.

Yep, that's what I've been telling my wife for years.

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
so I have some time to ponder which fork in the road I will travel moving forward.
Did someone mention forks ?

No matter what you decide Miaugi, you're welcome to stick around on the forum - you know the TW well enough by now

Besides - we can rub in the fact that you gave one up from time to time ..... :D

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
my dad has a super sherpa, which he loves, and while i recognize some of the "upgrades" it is a different feel and less charismatic than the tdub. it might make me an oddball but i wouldn't trade even up for it.

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
Each and every bike model seems to have an intended use in which it shines. So if one changes bikes it is logical to only change one’s riding style and destinations to suit if one wishes to optimize the experience.
Frustration can come if one rides with friends on a different class of motorcycle. A good example is a friend who tried sharing a few rides with me on my TW and him on his BMW R1200GS. He didn’t like my single track hill climbs and I couldn’t match him on the 50mph and faster fire roads he liked to cruise on. Next ride he downshifted to his older YZ500 to lead me around the Virginia Gran Prix course and I just ate dust and roost at a speed exceeding the TW’s safe envelope.
So best to match the bike to the intended riding style and terrain.

·
Registered
463 Posts
...No matter what you decide Miaugi, you're welcome to stick around on the forum - you know the TW well enough by now

Besides - we can rub in the fact that you gave one up from time to time ..... :D
Thanks Purple, if things work out that way it would be a pleasure to hang with this crew!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts