TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on stripping it down to the frame for powdercoating over the winter but seeing as it's already getting a little cold I might do it a bit sooner. I need a little grinding and replacing done anyway.

Anyhow I was wondering for those of you that have done it, how'd you go about keeping track of everything and in what order did you remove things? Any advice on the subject is appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
start with everything BUT the main rolling section. get a bunch of ziploc baggies, and label all the fasteners to remove each item together on one baggy. take lots of pictures and have fun

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
As you remove the bolts, lay them out in the pattern the reinstall. Take a picture. Place the bolts for each separate component in a baggy with a label. I've seen people place the bolts in their holes and use masking tape to hold them in place.

Bolts that screw into a component you won't be coating, like the seat bolts, simply screw them in the holes from which they came.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Take LOTS of pictures! And the ziploc bag technique is absolutely necessary!!! I didn't do that on my project and I paid the price.

Three months later when you have little recollection of what goes where, you'll kick yourself for not bagging them up.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
When I rebuilt my '80 850 Special, I went to the hobby/craft store & bought a bunch of styrofoam blocks. I put the bolts in a block in the same pattern they came off the bike. I also stuck small parts in the foam. Then I labeled & sketched enough on the block to know where the bolts/parts were from. Added notes of any problems I'd had while removing them (springs & things that fell or flew).

Had a mess of foam blocks up on the shelves. When I was putting the bike back together I just glanced at the shelves & grabbed the block that had the parts name on it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I rebuilt my '80 850 Special, I went to the hobby/craft store & bought a bunch of styrofoam blocks. I put the bolts in a block in the same pattern they came off the bike. I also stuck small parts in the foam. Then I labeled & sketched enough on the block to know where the bolts/parts were from. Added notes of any problems I'd had while removing them (springs & things that fell or flew).

Had a mess of foam blocks up on the shelves. When I was putting the bike back together I just glanced at the shelves & grabbed the block that had the parts name on it.

I like that idea. Pretty clever

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I like that idea. Pretty clever

I got the idea when my mom had me drive her around one day. She was getting stuff from the craft store, and as I was waiting while she checked out, there were these fake flowers poked into the foam blocks next to the register.

I just stood there thinking, hey... bolts! I went back several times as I kept running out of blocks. Once I started using them I found all kinds of things that would stick in them. One large piece kept the valves, springs, & rockers in the right order. Of course the 850 had 3 cylinders, kinda hard to mix up the TW's valves, eh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts