TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I love my TW! But sometimes I find myself looking at pictures of older two-cylinder bikes (like the one I knew in my youth) and thinking that I need to find something like that for my next bike.

Is there anything newer (1990's?) that has that look of the old Honda 350, Indians, Triumphs etc?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Depends on what displacement you are looking for.

The new Bonnevilles have the look of the old 650's, but are 865cc's.

Royal Enfields have retro-looking 500cc twins.... Sorry, they're singles.

Then there are the Virago 250 cc twins, but they are more cruiser-like.

Jb

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both have the look. Thanks!

What do you know about the Honda Nighthawk? It looks like it has been in production a while.

I don't know if I could deal with the more than 30cc extra displacement over my TW though. Seems like that much power is just asking for trouble!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The W650, the GB500, the TU250 are all nice but hard to come by. Half the time the last two show up, they're dirt cheap. The new (newer than what it's modeled after at least) Super 4 CB400 over in Japan seems like a neat throwback as well.

I've been close time and again to buying either a CB550 or an SR500, then I ended up with a CB-1. Next week I'm bringing a /5 Beemer home though. I know it won't have the pep of the old Jap bikes, but it's got its own pleasures.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts

Now that right there is a SEXY old bike!! Does anyone know what year it is? It looks an awful lot like my old 69 CB350... man do I ever wish I had that bike again. My first street bike was a 1969 CB350, it was SIMPLE and very reliable. It had enough power to keep up and it's fuel economy was decent. I sure do miss that old beast!

z

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Very cool old bike! I've never heard of or seen one before. Can anyone tell me what's hiding behind the big round cover on the front of the engine? z
i know weird eh? looks like a coffee can. the whole engine looks so different, with all external traces covered.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
That's most likely the magneto cover. Very interesting bike.

It's also a shaftie.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that right there is a SEXY old bike!! Does anyone know what year it is? It looks an awful lot like my old 69 CB350... man do I ever wish I had that bike again. My first street bike was a 1969 CB350, it was SIMPLE and very reliable. It had enough power to keep up and it's fuel economy was decent. I sure do miss that old beast!

z

I worked for a farmer who had one. I drove it to and from fields. Sometimes we would load it in the front bucket of a tractor and I would drive that tractor to a distant field. At the end of the day I would leave the tractor and ride the bike back to the home of the farmer. Talk about a job perk! Those back country roads were a blast! Even with 10 hour days, the to the field int he morning and the ride back would be worth it!

·
Registered
572 Posts
The W650, the GB500, the TU250 are all nice but hard to come by. Half the time the last two show up, they're dirt cheap. The new (newer than what it's modeled after at least) Super 4 CB400 over in Japan seems like a neat throwback as well.

I've been close time and again to buying either a CB550 or an SR500, then I ended up with a CB-1. Next week I'm bringing a /5 Beemer home though. I know it won't have the pep of the old Jap bikes, but it's got its own pleasures.

I don't know about the other's; but the GB500 is a single cylinder. I owned one, and loved it. Also; they are not cheap if you can even find one. They were only made for about a year and a half('89-'90), and didn't go over very well here in the states. People often thought them to be a twin cylinder because of the twin exhaust ports/header. If you find one "cheap"; buy it. They are somewhat rare.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I don't know about the other's; but the GB500 is a single cylinder. I owned one, and loved it. Also; they are not cheap if you can even find one. They were only made for about a year and a half('89-'90), and didn't go over very well here in the states. People often thought them to be a twin cylinder because of the twin exhaust ports/header. If you find one "cheap"; buy it. They are somewhat rare.

Ah I did miss the twin-cylinder thing he mentioned. The TU250 is the same way, as well as the older SR500, but they're all great bikes. And you're right, the GB's usually go high, but sometimes folks just don't know what they have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts