TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fine folks, first I want to thank you for letting me lurk a long time and learn as much as possible about TW's in general. I just officially registered and this is the first post of probably many more where I will ask advice from the experts (after searching as thoroughly as possible first of course!).

I already carefully read through several threads describing the differences from year to year and all sorts of stuff related to technical things on an 88 in specific and all years up to 01 in general. I also saw the TWs on craigslist thread and that was truly informative.

I am currently considering an 88 which looks like it is in incredible condition, with almost 5000 miles and with price point of $2K. I was considering waiting for 2022 to get a new TW but when I saw this on the other end of the spectrum I started hyperventilating! I almost never see these things and never as good as this one that is offered offline via private party. Can I ask for anyone's/everyone's opinion? Everything is 100% stock, no dents, scratches or scrapes, tires replaced with OEM equivalent a few years ago, battery replaced a few years ago, other than that 100% stock. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lower mileage? Maintained well?
Priced right? Fork seals not leaking? Runs great? Been stored inside? (Look for rust)
Also, I'd look inside the fuel tank for rust. Other than these things, you're probably good-to-go.

...EDIT: $2k is a pretty good price. Don't forget to look inside the tank. Look for oil leaks.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Got any pics?

Aside from seeing the bike in person, that is the next best way to assess the condition of a used bike. In my opinion, $2,000 for an '88 with 5,000 miles is definitely on the upper end (unless maybe if it is a cherry Black Widow color scheme!).

If you want a TW now, like this one, and can afford the asking price - then go for it! There will always be someone who finds a better deal than you, and a couple hundred bucks is not going to matter much to you a year from now.

I hope this helps,

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate the advice! To answer some of your questions, yes it comes with clean title and I have never heard of back registration fees for something someone just purchased where we live ... only back registration fees for something someone has owned with outstanding registration/s. I'll go look a little more at it and carefully check for leaks or anything obvious. I don't happen to have pictures to share here but the bike looks almost new ... there's some swingarm rash without rust on the bottom of the swingarm, there's some gravel scouring under the fenders and few little rocks chips on the frame here and there but other than that it is in incredible condition to the extent that I thought it might be a full restoration the first time I saw it. Ohh, BTW, I did do a ClearVIN on it and it all was good but went back only about half of the bike's life so that wasn't totally as helpful as I would have wanted !?!

Maybe another question I should ask all the experts that are here is assuming that the bike really is this good and this stock, given the vintage of 88 what should I plan on for additional initial expenses in terms of parts or pieces that should be replaced right away or the common things probably needing replacement sooner than later? I would baseline all fluids and filters of course but other than that what should I plan for because ultimately if it starts to approach the price of a 21 or 22, I might be better to get one of those ( I especially love the radical gray color choice for 21!!!). On the one hand I really want the kickstart option of the earlier bikes but with the fuel injection and front disk of the later bikes. I have heard of the kickstart retrofit kits but I don't know really how reliable those are. Anyway, decisions decisions decisions.

Thanks again for all the advice!!! Please keep it coming.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If its in that good of condition 2000 bucks is a good price.
Your smart to think about mileage and time. Other than the maintenance items in the owners book I would look at things like. Chain and sprockets, condition of the foam air filter, and any rust or crud in the fuel tank.
other things that may need attention would be dried out grease in the steering stem bearings, greasing the swing arm bearings and changing fork oil.There are probably others I am missing. These things can be done a little at a time at minimal dollars.
Where you can spend some more dollars is on the after market bits like a rack, skid plate, bars and hand guards and on and on depending on what you want.
Or you could just ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No TW comes with fuel injection (welcome to the board) ....
Oops, sorry about that; I got confused between the XT250 and the TW200 and I also thought that I've maybe seen some TWs online with Fuel Injection but maybe not or maybe those were modified? Anyway, thanks for the clarification there ... I would have been disappointed to wait to get a new one and find out they put the old carb on! HaHa.

One thing I learned in talking to the seller today is there are no service records with the bike. It looks like it is amazingly well maintained but no records really so that sort of makes me pause. I'm wondering whether a Yamaha dealer can look up the vin to see whatever was done by them in their "network"?

I'm in that "hurry but wait" mode right now because I see these things for sale so rarely and never anywhere near as nice as this one so I sort of have the fear of missing out as well as the fear of rushing in. I think I think too much. :) And, I'm also always looking out for XT250's so I'm swaying between TW and XT in my mind all the time. Arrgghh.

Thanks again for all the advice here folks, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Most people maintain their TW's without taking them to the dealer, so you probably won't find any records.

Though it's a not a bad deal for that bike, other deals will come along if you're patient & diligent. I see several a year in my area.

If you're looking for an XT, you may want to consider the XT225, which has been discontinued since 2007, but was produced for many years. It has a 6 speed transmission, whereas the XT250 is 5 speed. XT225 bargains are consistently available. It's much like a TW200, but with more top end (a plus), more power (plus), but with skinny tires (embarrassing when parked next to a TW).

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
These older TW’s are usually maintained without records, simply because they are so easy to work on. To find one with a 30 year old service record would be remarkable indeed. But, provided the oil has been changed regularly, there is little to go wrong that cannot be fixed

If it is in such visual good condition, the chances are that it has been kept indoors, which works to the bikes advantage

Only recommendations I can think of to make, is new sprockets and X ring chain, and then simply ride it and see what happens

The price isn’t that bad considering the desirability of the ’88, especially if kept well. For the sake of a few hundred, I’d say take it. We can talk you through anything that comes up in the future …….

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fine folks, first I want to thank you for letting me lurk a long time and learn as much as possible about TW's in general. I just officially registered and this is the first post of probably many more where I will ask advice from the experts (after searching as thoroughly as possible first of course!).

I already carefully read through several threads describing the differences from year to year and all sorts of stuff related to technical things on an 88 in specific and all years up to 01 in general. I also saw the TWs on craigslist thread and that was truly informative.

I am currently considering an 88 which looks like it is in incredible condition, with almost 5000 miles and with price point of $2K. I was considering waiting for 2022 to get a new TW but when I saw this on the other end of the spectrum I started hyperventilating! I almost never see these things and never as good as this one that is offered offline via private party. Can I ask for anyone's/everyone's opinion? Everything is 100% stock, no dents, scratches or scrapes, tires replaced with OEM equivalent a few years ago, battery replaced a few years ago, other than that 100% stock. Thanks in advance.
Haggle and pay him $1900 (so you win) and buy the bike. Not enough has changed on these bikes to worry about it. To do all the same stuff as the new bikes with a perfectly adequate front drum brake makes the nostalgia even cooler. BUY IT!!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
$1900 would be a pretty good price for a clean Black Widow... and then after wandering these pages you'll find another $3k worth of mods you'll need, putting you right at the price of a new one, but modded to your liking!

welcome and ride on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No TW comes with fuel injection (welcome to the board) ....
Oops, sorry about that; I got confused between the XT250 and the TW200 and I also thought that I've maybe seen some TWs online with Fuel Injection but maybe not or maybe those were modified? Anyway, thanks for the clarification there ... I would have been disappointed to wait to get a new one and find out they put the old carb on! HaHa.
This was one of the ads that made me think Fuel Injection was an option but I guess it isn't unless you make major modifications?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea but in the photo its got the stock carb on it. I think the ad poster was thinking of something else.
Ok but basically any TW with Fuel Injection was modified right? In other words it was never a special "option" from the factory or anything from another market like export or something right? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
F.I. is an after market addition as far as TW’s are concerned. In it’s natural state, it simply does not exist

If you have the money and the inclination, we have seen turbo’s, Nitrous Oxide, and rear discs – I guess some people like to have a hobby …..

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had one...loved it.....that is a lot of miles IMHO but if it has a clean title and it performs to your expecttions ....why not...... I would offer him 1500 and be willing to compromise at 1750....heck...it even has a kick starter !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts