TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting my first TW after tossing the idea around for some time now.
Though I've seen plenty of newer TW's in the same price range, I have my heart set on a kickstart equipped model. So, I came across a 1990 TW that could use a good dose of loving, but otherwise seems like a pretty solid bike for its age. The owner says that the carburetor will need a deep cleaning, and I imagine I'll need to do a good tank flush as it has been sitting with old gas in it for a good year or a couple. Aside from the aforementioned "issues" (which could come with any bike that's been just sitting for some time) there is nothing else *that I know of* wrong with it.

I looked up the KBB value, which was just under $1,500 for this year/model in "excellent" condition.
From what I've gathered, KBB and The People seem to have different views on this, as I rarely see a TW priced that low that hasn't been driven into the dirt.
Alas, here I am. Finally coming to you guys to get some advice on buying my first TW after lurking the boards for some time.

I've yet to see the bike up close and personal, and only know the bare minimum about her, but here's what I DO know:
- It's a 1990 Yamaha TW (Wait, really? A TW, you say?)
- Comes with two gas tanks (stock tank and Clarke 2.7g tank)
- Odometer reads in at just under 3,000 miles.
- All stock, aside from very minor changes (upgraded bars, new chain, new air filter, +1 sprocket up front)
- Needs carburetor cleaned, and likely a good flush of the tank as I mentioned, before she's ready to ride.
- The seat has seen better days... 24 years of them. I *might* be able to get it to clean up w/ a Magic Eraser and some good ol' fashioned elbow grease, but at the end of the day, it's just cosmetic. I will likely replace it w/ a more comfortable black seat in time.
- Cosmetically, I would say the bike is at about a 7/10 based on its age. Aside from the heavily blackened seat, plastics look pretty clean, all bells and whistles appear to be intact.
- Aaand, lastly... The bike is located a solid 1,500 miles away from where I live, and due to it needing a good tune up and it not being a wonderful choice to try and ride it home, I've come to the conclusion that I will have to drive my truck out to pick her up and get her back home before I start tinkering with her. Yes, gas is as cheap as it's been since I've had a license, but to say a 3,000 mile trip to pick up a bike that is older than I am is justified is questionable. Give me reasons to justify it!

So there you have it, this is what I'm working with. I'm curious as to what you guys think is reasonable to pay for this bike.

What would be a "good" deal?
What would your absolute top dollar be given that it needs a little work but does come w/ kickstart and large capacity tank?
Is it worth driving 3,000 miles just because I want a kickstart equipped model and like the colorway?
Is there anything I should know about the 1990 model in particular? Any qualms or issues with that year?

Sorry for the long first post, just trying to cover all my bases. Let me know if there is any other info that might help in deciding what a good price would be to pay. I'm more in love with this TW than any of the others I've seen for sale so far, but I'm afraid his asking price is just a bit steep. I'll be (im)patiently waiting to hear from you guys as I sit here just itching to get to town on a TW of my own. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Welcome to the board …..

Your bike will need two new tires, inner tubes, wheel bearings, carb boots, the bit of plastic that sits on top of the swinging arm to stop the chain from rubbing that costs an arm and a leg and means dropping the swinging arm (sorry, don’t remember the technical name for it), seat cover, fork overhaul, cables – you can see where this is going …..

The price is right for a bike that has had all these replaced recently (in the last year), but for a non-runner that’s been sitting for years – No “flipping” way.

The good news is that all parts are readily available (unless you’re in Canada or Britain), and these bikes are fairly easy to work on.

But – (there’s always a “but” isn’t there) – Why would you consider a round trip of 3000 miles to pick up this bike ?

Because it’s ultimately your location that sets the price for this machine …….

(other than that - great colour choice -and no known problems with that year)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the board …..

Your bike will need two new tires, inner tubes, wheel bearings, carb boots, the bit of plastic that sits on top of the swinging arm to stop the chain from rubbing that costs an arm and a leg and means dropping the swinging arm (sorry, don’t remember the technical name for it), seat cover, fork overhaul, cables — you can see where this is going …..

The price is right for a bike that has had all these replaced recently (in the last year), but for a non-runner that’s been sitting for years — No “flipping” way.

The good news is that all parts are readily available (unless you’re in Canada or Britain), and these bikes are fairly easy to work on.

But — (there’s always a “but” isn’t there) — Why would you consider a round trip of 3000 miles to pick up this bike ?

Because it’s ultimately your location that sets the price for this machine …….

(other than that - great colour choice -and no known problems with that year)
The owner said it was last on the streets about a year ago, so it hasn't quite been sitting for years but it has been sitting. As far as distance, I'm always up for a little road trip, not to mention I'm a sucker for that sea foam colorway and none of the TW's for sale locally are old enough to come with kickstart.

I'm still curious though, what's a reasonable price to pay knowing that the things you mentioned above will need replacing?

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Bro, I think he wants too much for it in non running condition. I wonder what tank he has on the bike now? I think that $1,100-$1,200 is about right. It is going to cost you a few hundred to get it all fixed up with new tires, tubes, and everything else you need. All said and done, with you fixing it and it running, you could probably only get $1,600-$1,800 for it if you sold it ready to go. I think he has to come down a lot, or keep looking. 3,000 miles in travel, food, lodging and gas is going to cost a lot. I would keep looking. Be patient. There has to be one closer to you somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
The owner said it was last on the streets about a year ago, so it hasn't quite been sitting for years but it has been sitting. As far as distance, I'm always up for a little road trip, not to mention I'm a sucker for that sea foam colorway and none of the TW's for sale locally are old enough to come with kickstart.

I'm still curious though, what's a reasonable price to pay knowing that the things you mentioned above will need replacing?
I'd be happier if it was going for 1200 (max) and the bike was just around the corner

I’d say about 500 bucks for replacement parts (give or take) depending on what you find once you’ve got her – on the other hand, you can ride it “as is” – it’d be a death trap, but it’s your choice. First things would be relatively “high spend” items, like the tires, tubes, and brake and clutch cables – there’s little point in going in after the carb without new carb boots (any carb problem that comes up on the board and the first thing we do is question the condition of the carb boots which can have a significant effect).

Say between 300 and 350 dollars for the above.

Colour matching that seat cover and fork gaiters is going to prove “tricky” – not impossible, but expect difficulties in finding them - others on here may be able to help you out with a few “links”.

Might be worth keeping an eye on this thread http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/4804-tws-craigslist-102.html for an alternative. A low mileage TW with a kicker should not be that hard to find at this time of the year – and if really want the colour, then it’s just the tank and a couple of side panels – you’ll be chasing down the seat cover and fork gaiters anyway.

As I said, it’s going to depend on what area you’re in, but the price he’s asking sounds high.

Give this post 24hrs to “soak in” – by then you should have the opinion of many others to go by – but I doubt that I’ll be far of the mark …….

·
Registered
892 Posts
How much of this work can you do yourself. Between the road trip and the parts and the labor and the downstoke on the purchase you can have about $3,500.00 tied up in this bike. You would be better of buying a practically new bike with next to no miles on it ($3,500.00-they are out there) and waiting for a parts bike with a kicker on it to come up. This deal is not the makings of a good story.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be happier if it was going for 1200 (max) and the bike was just around the corner

Colour matching that seat cover and fork gaiters is going to prove “tricky” – not impossible, but expect difficulties in finding them - others on here may be able to help you out with a few “links”.

Might be worth keeping an eye on this thread http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/4804-tws-craigslist-102.html for an alternative. A low mileage TW with a kicker should not be that hard to find at this time of the year – and if really want the colour, then it’s just the tank and a couple of side panels – you’ll be chasing down the seat cover and fork gaiters anyway.

As I said, it’s going to depend on what area you’re in, but the price he’s asking sounds high.

Give this post 24hrs to “soak in” – by then you should have the opinion of many others to go by – but I doubt that I’ll be far of the mark …….
The seat and fork gaiters are already the seafoam, the seats just a little dirty. Least of my concerns honestly. I just really want that tank...

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
To discover the age of the tire - check out this link Unsafe Motorcycles: Motorcycle Tires: Age Matters

DOT number on sidewall with labels.jpg

Some of the "purists" on here recommend changing their rubber every 3 years - personally, I tend to agree with the above link and go for 5 or 6 years - after 10 years you're on "hard rubber", and considering that rubber is the only thing keeping the bike (and yourself) upright, it's a wise investment ......

·
Registered
715 Posts
$2000k for a 1990 is a no go unless it is pristine and all gone through. Lots of unknowns until you swing a leg and take it for a spin. 1500 miles is a long drive if it is a POS.

Get a spankin' new 2015 for $4000! A few 2010-2013 TWs on my local Craigslist are $2500 to 3k.

Post a link or some pics of it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Where you are located also has a lot to do with prices. 1500 miles is like from S Florida to my place here in NY. I bet you will drive right past an easy dozen better deals on your way. I get the whole color thing and also like that year but in non running condition and with all the age related issues you will face I say save your gas and your dollars for a much sweeter and closer deal. $2000 is what that bike would bring if it was road ready turn key and in real nice condition.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
ok oil,
i'm going to help out here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/5469775902.html

i've seen this one for over a month, but never bothered to post it on here as i thought it was too expensive.

if what you really want is a kicker($250) and clarke tank ($200) and the seafoam green is of lesser concern... you'd be money ahead finding another bike and putting these two items on. if you are really intent on that color scheme you'll be years looking for those plastics and tank, i've seen one tank and no plastics for sale on here in 4 yrs.

the 3000 mile trip is crazy just for a bike UNLESS you have your heart set on THAT specific color scheme. for the money you'd spend on the trip i'd offer to buy the guy new plastics and ship them to him in trade, as i think most people would paint those anyways.

here's a comparison bike, still over priced but better shape: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/5456706165.html

i got my running '94 for $850 and put nearly a grand into it originally to get it into shape. you can follow the link in my signature.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
that's simply way to much, Mudbugs 08 with 1200 miles (bought it last year) was only slightly more than that (after a quick haggle) and it needed nothing but to be ridden. if your set on the color, a little ebay searching can get you that and you could sell the plastics of the one you purchased to cover the cost, the kicker conversion would likely be the most expensive part but with good enough plastics and tank to sell, you may cover more than the cost of some older used plastics that could help with the cost of the kicker conversion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Your story is my story, I've wanted one of these for a while now. When it came to a point that I had the time and funds to seriously seek one out, I found searchtempest.com to be a valuable tool. You're right about KBB value having nothing to do with what folks are asking for and getting for these bikes, and they don't last long on craiglist, $2000.00 plus or minus a couple hundred seems to be the starting price, regardless of age or condition. Use searchtempest, plug in your zip code, how far you are willing to travel, and check that several times a week. Even if the posts are deleted, or bikes gone by the time you see them, it'll give you some examples of what they are asking or selling for. I was able to pick up an 01 (no kick start, but front disk brake) mostly ready to ride in good cosmetic shape for a 15 year old bike with 7K for $2200, 90 miles from home. Your location will probably matter considerably.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
My most recent TW purchase was a 2013 with 65 miles on it and got it for $3,200.00

It's brand new.
Sold off the dealer floor 4 months prior to a guy who had it delivered to his door.
No miles on this "new bike" so I was able to get it on my insurance as a new bike because they said
I was the first owner even though I told them I was buying from a private party.
This saved me a ton of insurance cash.
Don't buy a bike that old.
Buy one much newer with nothing done to it.

Don't buy someone else's goof ups. You need to make any changes YOUR changes and not inherit some guys
ideas of what is a good idea.

Besides, changing out tanks is a stupid idea unless you really need to ride long distance.
If you want to ride dirt and bang the bike up that is fine, go with a Clark and be happy I guess
but don't take on someone else's ideas of what is a good off road touring bike.

A lot of the fun is in building the bike up yourself and doing it one step at a time.

Just me.

I guess I'm blessed in that I have a wife who let's me spend whatever I want on bikes and I currently own
three in the stable so I am spoiled. but my truck sets outside and is a 2004 Ram. LOL.
I like bikes.

I've owned a 1994, 2005 and 2010 TW. I hated the 1994 which had a drum front brake and crummy carb.

Don't buy that old.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
A lot of the fun is in building the bike up yourself and doing it one step at a time.
+1
I've owned a 1994, 2005 and 2010 TW. I hated the 1994 which had a drum front brake and crummy carb.
Don't buy that old.
:p
i love my '94, carb has always been great and the brakes stop the bike. i'm happy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts