1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I think I remember seeing a post on Advrider, but it was quite a long time ago that I saw it. You might search over on that site, you might find something.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet it is a non-motorized trail.

We can definitely ride it...at least for another year. Here's a recent YouTube Video by some riders from Charlotte.

I think our TWs would be more fun than their overloaded, tall BMWs, at least for someone with riding skills like mine.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
There is a moto route for the trail and yes lots of folks try it - and many complete it.

The GPS tracks for much if not all of it are available on the ADV rider site. I know CityMan had the intention of riding the New Mexico portion, but had a pile up on rough roads doing the North bound leg in the Shadow of the Rockies Route before reaching the Continental Divide. I have driven parts of the NM route in a 4 x 4 and have a friend who has done 75% of the state also with a 4 x 4. Much of it is not bad, but it can be complicated by weather (particularly mud and snow)and logistics. Its a planning, endurance, resourcefulness and flexibility exercise. I'd choose my riding companions carefully. And yes, I'd rather do it on a TW than a bigger bike. Tom

·
Registered
457 Posts
My wife and I rode it with a couple of friends a few years ago from North to South. I was on a DR650 and she rode her DRZ400S. It was a great trip, with incredible scenery. We camped often and got a motel every three days or so for a warm shower and to do laundry.

I highly recommend taking this trip, and the TW would be perfect for it. There are quite a few sections that are at 8,000+ feet so something closer to stock jetting would probably be best. I put Dial-A-Jet's on both of our bikes and we had no issues at all up to our max height of 13,000 feet.

Go ride it.. do it now while you still can.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My wife and I rode it with a couple of friends a few years ago from North to South. I was on a DR650 and she rode her DRZ400S. It was a great trip, with incredible scenery. We camped often and got a motel every three days or so for a warm shower and to do laundry.

I highly recommend taking this trip, and the TW would be perfect for it. There are quite a few sections that are at 8,000+ feet so something closer to stock jetting would probably be best. I put Dial-A-Jet's on both of our bikes and we had no issues at all up to our max height of 13,000 feet.

Go ride it.. do it now while you still can.

If that doesn't inspire you, nothing will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts