TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an xt350 tank to put on, but it isn't a cal emission tank. would it just take drilling a hole in the right place to attach the carbon filter tube, or is there something different internally too? just asking shows my total lack of understanding how this system works.

thanks,

joe

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Joe,

Your tank will work fine hooked up 49-state fashion because it vents through the cap. Cap off the canister line to the carb.

The only way to convert a non-Cali tank to the canister is by obtaining a fuel cap with a vented fitting (like the one on a Clarke tank) and hooking that to the canister line.

It's easy, but a cap like that might be hard to find.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply lizrd! what internal difference is there with a cal tank? i wouldn't mind have the advantages of it that you have mentioned before.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
There is a hard metal line that runs inside the tank into the filler neck area. The tank vents from there rather than through the fuel cap. There really isn't any way to duplicate it, but if you can find a cap that has an overflow tit on it from an older Yamaha dirt bike you can get it to function identically.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, except then there would be a hose running out the top, down the side to the canister... sounds like something to snag and tear. maybe i jumped too quick on what was a good deal. hard enough to find a metal xt350 tank, but one a cal emission one is like a needle in two haystacks.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Nah. We've run th Clarke tank on her bike that way for thousands of miles.

Just drop the line straight down to the canister. I'll try to scrounge up a pic.

Anyway for now you can just bypass the canister and everything will work fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts