TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

is it ok

• its ok

• its not ok

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't decide whether this looks any good, but it's the only TW I can find near me after a better deal sold and there aren't any new available. They have all the original parts and I'd want to do something about the exhaust before is scrapes off the ground, but it sounds like most of it is intact and the wiring isn't messed up. Not sure how I feel about the look of it. 2016 with around 1000 miles, asking around 5000, might be able to get it more like 4000 but I'm not sure how to evaluate it.

I can also get a stock 1998, but it has 10,000 miles and I don't ever see any for sale with much more than that, which makes me think they get decommissioned somewhere around there..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Unless you like it, keep looking. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I say make a very low offer and see what happens. You can always flip it...

·
Registered
2021 TW
735 Posts
Cant tell from the photos. It looks like someone just took off parts and added a few of their own. If you take an inventory of what stock parts come with it. Then look to see if the stock wiring or frame has been hacked it would be worth considering. A headlight,tail light and a pipe, that aint too bad. At least some one didnt paint everything with black spray paint. And it hasnt been beat to [email protected]#t off road.
I have seen photos of people who started with far worse tdub projects than this. They are easy and uncomplicated to work on. You could have it back to stock look in one day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have seen photos of people who started with far worse tdub projects than this. They are easy and uncomplicated to work on. You could have it back to stock look in one day.
It hasn't even been broken in, only 1000km. I noticed the pillion peg mounts look like they've been shaved off so I'm not sure what else has been irreversibly removed, unless I'm mistaken. He says he has "pretty much all the stock parts except the air box" which is unfortunate, I really don't like pod filters in the rain and the jetting is probably a problem. Might be better than trying to find a 2023 though.

·
Registered
2021 TW
735 Posts
Thats it.My screwed up thinking is. If you can get the seller down to 3500 what would the bike retail /resale at with the stock look? 4500 to 5000 right now in the Estados Unidos easy. Even if you put another 1000 bucks into it you would still be ok. Which alot of tw owners do and more. Even if you had to buy aftermarket plastics an exhaust and airbox you would still not be upside down. And epay could supply some of it.
A little labor a little time a few clams and you have a nice stock look tdub ready for summer.

·
Registered
2023 TW200
17 Posts
It always makes me nervous when I'm trying to buy something and it has been modified. It's hard to see all the little details that were messed with until you're in there trying to put it back together. Personally I'd keep looking for a well maintained stock bike. good luck

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I just bought someone's project bike not long ago. A 2002 Buell with 600 miles on it. They tinkered had fun and never really rode it. I got it cheap and enough parts to build up another one. If you get the bike and all the stock parts you can have all kinds of fun. Build it back to stock, find a parts bike cheap and put all those stock parts on it. just have fun.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Shove 2K cash in the seller's face and see if you get a bite... You never know! How far from you is it?

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
TW’s can be made into nice brat-bikes; this is NOT an example of such. However, if this bikes shows correct compression, no frame hacks, original parts inventory, original loom, I’d buy it, and put it towards stock. If you can negotiate the price to a reasonable number. You can sell those new’ish tires and other parts and even be in a sweeter $$$ situation. You stated yourself, “the big snow is coming”. Perfect time to work on a TW.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It's just my opinion ..
Double YUCK
Even for a brat bike it's fuggly !
But like I said that's just my opinion ...
mike

1 - 20 of 43 Posts