TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cylinder cooling fins are in sad shape after sitting for years in a Florida carport. What is the best treatment for good cooling?

I know wire brush them and paint black or silver will look good but what works for best cooling?

1. Wire brush and leave alone?

2. Wire brush and paint black???

3. Something else?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Most folks don't note much temp increase with paint added. Regardless, leaving it bare will just let it happen again, depending on where you store it. Even out of the factory I believe they threw a high-temp clear coat on there.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Wire brush,clean with dish soap and water,let dry. Then mask off areas you don't want painted and use BBQ black grill paint. Leaves a tough good looking finish and is easy to touch up.I've also used this on exhaust pipes with good results. Just make sure the surface is clean!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Typical aluminum oxidation--always a problem in warm, humid environments. Even more so near salt water.

Wire brush and paint is an excellent solution. Replace the spark plug with a bolt for the brushing, then use compressed air to clean the scrapings before replacing the spark plug.

Flat or crinkle finish engine paint can actually enhance cooling by increasing surface area. Special engine paints are available. Special exhaust paints are also available, but I doubt the engine will ever get hot enough to properly cure an exhaust paint. The BBQ paint sounds intriguing, as long as it can be had in a flat finish.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I've found the BBQ paint in both flat and gloss. Nice thing too is no primer needed. Some time ago I bought some high dollar hi-temp paint and primer. Made sure head pipe was rust free and clean. Damm stuff peeled off in less than a week and this was following the drying times and heat cycles. Sanded the stuff off,sprayed on BBQ paint and it was still looking good several years later when I sold the bike.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Dulicolor 500 degree Semi-gloss. Sticks like snot.

Prep is everything.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not perfect but not bad either. BBQ black and 500 degree gray/silver. Little wire brush work and a good cleaning to get oil/grease off prior.

Note that is also a used (ebay) TTR225 exhaust header. Fits right on. Heat shield was not included so I modified the TW heat shield to fit. I like the Stainless over the old rusted header.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Big improvement. I know it can get annoying, but try to give it a garden hose rinse every week or two with sunny days to dry it off, or at least after big rides.

·
Registered
254 Posts
RE: "Prep is everything" how about this home made soda blaster. I have a friend who restores cars for a living, he does entire cars with a commercial unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts