TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I traveled 500 miles and I crossed a busy border post all in the space of 18 hours!! I'm completely exhausted from battling heavy traffic and strong crosswinds, not to mention some serious bugs hitting my helmet and windshield :p

Let me start at the beginning - I decided to travel from Pretoria South Africa to the beautiful country of Zimbabwe and to travel around the country of Zimbabwe for a month. Zimbabwe is a bikers paradise - long open hard top and dirt roads where you can cruise all day long to your hearts content. The security situation is safe for tourists to travel around with fuel and food readily available everywhere. There are many campsites, B&B, Game Lodges and Hotels scattered all over the country but because of my budget for this holiday I will camp most of the time.

As you can see on the photo I did not put side panniers on my bike( I had no time to build my own and importing from the US is to expensive for me) but decided to put my stuff in my backpack.
The main advantage of this setup is the fact that I have a much more aerodynamic profile which allows me to cruise at 60-65 mile an hour AND I'm able to get a whopping 60 miles per gallon!(25 km per liter)

To increase my range I took two 1.3 gallon(5 liter) containers which means that I can go up to 265 miles which is necessary for me when I want to travel the remote parts of the country.

At the moment I'm camping at the Zimbabwe Ruins which is the oldest ancient cities in Africa.Click here to find out more about the place. Beautiful campsite and lodge with restaurant, swimming pool and of course a bar with ice cold beer. This is one of my favorite places in Africa! Click Here for review.

After spending 18 hours on the road I promise you guys my behind was toast, not to mention my back and neck and the muscles in my fingers, but after resting for two days I'm starting to feel normal again. I will keep you guys posted as my journey progress!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Alright Brother Corn!!!! Go get em Bro!!!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Most excellent. :) Safe and happy journey.
So where are you carring the extra gas bottles? Do they fit in your trunk? Just don't see them in the first pic.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
Good ride report in progress - (we eat them up here)

Good to see the "Corn Shield" is holding up too ..............

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So where are you carring the extra gas bottles? Do they fit in your trunk? Just don't see them in the first pic.
Yes sir, both of them fits nicely in the rear trunk!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir, both of them fits nicely in the rear trunk!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

This is how the lodge looks like, I'm staying in the campsite right next to it

Look all the way to the left to see the gutsy T-Dub, she ran flawlessly for 500 miles, in spite of the hot summer temperatures. The vehicles in the photo belongs to the government officials and business-men of the country who like to come and relax at the lodge

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I remember you posting the build of your windscreen. Nice job on that. Also, stay safe on the road down there, and keep us posted. Your write up is very nice.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Excellent ride report, thanks! I'm looking forward to following along.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just went for a short 25 mile ride to go and get some groceries in town. I stopped along the way to take a photo of a typical road in Zimbabwe, as you can see there are cattle grazing next to the road and that is something that I always need to look out for when I'm riding. Not all the roads in Zim are in such a good condition as this one but I guess about 70% of the time I can cruise 50 mph without a problem.

I met a traveler Mike from the town of Morris in Minnesota, USA who is backpacking around the world and is on his way to travel all the way to the northern point of Africa. As I'm typing we are sitting in the bar enjoining some ice cold beer!

Later this week I want to set off for a 200 mile ride to the Chirinda Forest Botanical Reserve which is the southernmost tropical rain forest in Africa. Click Here to have a look.
Its completely off the beaten track although it used to be a famous tourist destination it is a somewhat forgotten place at the moment. I just need to make calculations to see if I will have enough fuel to make there and out again!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Over here we have deer we have to watch out for, I can't imagine cows being much of a threat for jumping out in front of you.... :D

Go get em Corn-dawg!!!

Lovin your thread bro!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Over here we have deer we have to watch out for, I can't imagine cows being much of a threat for jumping out in front of you.... :D
They can still be a problem, they just decide to cross the road any time they want bro! At least I have a bit longer time to react.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Ahem, when I woke up this morning and zipped open my tent I realized I had some unexpected visitors. . .
The legendary vervet monkeys are very clever, the moment I turn my back they try to sneak into my tent to steal anything edible they can get! They even manage to sneak into the lodge's restaurant to grab the sugar from the tables.

I had a leisurely morning, first I gave a beautiful American lady a lift with the T-Dub to the local bus stop(she's on her way to the mighty Victoria Falls) and then I went to relax next to the swimming pool to work on tan which is pretty much non existent at the moment. Next on I went for a short 8 mile ride to the stunning Norma Jean's Lakeview resort ( Click Here to have a look) where I also met the friendly owner and lastly I went to top up the fuel for tomorrow's 220 mile trip to the rain-forest. The fuel here in Zim is leaded fuel with 15% ethanol added to it! Luckily the old lady is running smoothly with this concoction at the moment!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
This is such a great report brother Corn!!! You know I'm your biggest fan bro!!! :D

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is such a great report brother Corn!!! You know I'm your biggest fan bro!!! :D
Thank you Bro, your moral support is much appreciated, it took a lot of courage and effort to organize this trip but I'm glad I did it!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts