TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really don't want to do this right now, my bike was running SO well commuting with her daily all over the place without any problems at all

Unfortunately she was just burning too much oil for me to continue riding so I took off the engine today and I want to open it tomorrow.

As you can see I have the full range of special tools for the job . . . .

New 70 mm oversize piston and rings to be installed, I don't need to split the gearbox because it is still in a good condition

I will post the photo's of the inside of the engine tomorrow

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Title had me worried you had suffered a disaster. Nice you are just hammering out some timely maintenance before something serious happened. Now might be a good time to get sealed bearings for the swing arm to avoid any assembly difficulties. Otherwise it can be a challenge getting all the factory bushing seals and swing arm aligned with the frame holes while inserting the pivot bolt.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for your encouraging words everyone and I want to let you all know that at least I'm not left by myself but I have a biker friend who offered to help me with the rebuild.

His name is Gavin and this guy has a double garage with 9 bikes with 6 up and running and 3 in various stages of rebuilding, he's a real biker to the bone.

Whenever he's got some spare time he is working and tuning one of his bikes

His latest project is the rebuilding of a Kawasaki ZX11 Turbo

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts
Now might be a good time to get sealed bearings for the swing arm to avoid any assembly difficulties. Otherwise it can be a challenge getting all the factory bushing seals and swing arm aligned with the frame holes while inserting the pivot bolt.
What you need to do, is to anchor one side of the rear frame to a fixed point, and attach the other end to the back end of the ZX11 — then, while the Kwack pulls the two bits apart, you need to get under there with the relevant parts of the swinging arm assembled, (with said lump hammer in hand), while a third person bounces up and down on the seat

With a bit of practice (and a significant amount of tire smoke), eventually the clutch on the Kwack will give up the ghost - and at exactly that moment, (if you’ve timed it right), that last smack of the hammer will seal the deal

Your friend may go through a few bikes trying this method — but hey — that’s what are friends for ……

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many miles did you have on it before the rebuild? What oil and weight did you usually use? Are you going to put a bigger cam and valves while you have it apart? Good luck with your rebuild.
Only 29 000 miles bro BUT the previous owner neglected the bike, he did not service the bike and for about 200 miles he rode the bike without an air filter in dusty conditions on a farm. When I received the bike I immediately put an air filter in and serviced the bike but the damage was already done . . . .

I used a heavy duty mineral oil 20W 50 which used to be manufactured locally here in South Africa. The name of the brand is Honeylube (no joke). This is an amazing quality oil that was manufactured to the highest standards. Unfortunately the company went bust but I still have 2 1/2 Gallons left. I was able to keep the bike going with this oil for 25 000 miles!

and lastly no, I'm going to stay with standard cam and valves

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I opened up the engine today and as you can see there is a lot of carbon

Good news, the inside of the sleeve is as smooth as glass, no scratches at all

Some more carbon

It took me a couple of hours to clean all the muck from the rear swing arm and then to sand it and spray paint it with a lovely John Deere Green

I first have to remove the rocker arm shafts if I want to remove the valves. I need a special tool called a Slide Hammer Bolt and Weight, I need more info for this please, can I remove this myself or do I have to take this to a Yamaha Dealer?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I know, I took the photo just after I opened up the engine, what I meant was that I'm glad there is no deep grooves that could have caused damage inside the cylinder sleeve, I'm going to take the cylinder to be honed with a cross hatch next week.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
I first have to remove the rocker arm shafts if I want to remove the valves. I need a special tool called a Slide Hammer Bolt and Weight, I need more info for this please, can I remove this myself or do I have to take this to a Yamaha Dealer?

The picture below is what I used to take out the camshaft but I used the same "jackass gulch tool design" to remove the rockers. I used a long bolt and screwed it into the rocker arms. Then tapped the vice grip and out they came.

See if this works.

Note: The bolt I used to screw into the rocker arm was very tight to screw in but it did without messing up the threads. I've heard of others who had a similar experience. I don't know if they used a homemade tool/bolt like I did or if it was with the correct slide hammer tool. All I know is they mentioned the bolt screwing in tight as well.

I thought I had pictures of me removing the rocker arms but if I did take any I can't find them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, I know, I took the photo just after I opened up the engine, what I meant was that I'm glad there is no deep grooves that could have caused damage inside the cylinder sleeve, I'm going to take the cylinder to be honed with a cross hatch next week.:thumbsup:
Glad to hear, I knew even if you didn't know this your friend lending you the helping hands would almost certainly be aware. :tennis:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to hear, I knew even if you didn't know this your friend lending you the helping hands would almost certainly be aware. :tennis:
For sure!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
"I first have to remove the rocker arm shafts if I want to remove the valves. I need a special tool called a Slide Hammer Bolt and Weight, I need more info for this please, can I remove this myself or do I have to take this to a Yamaha Dealer?"

Here is what a slide hammer looks like. These should be readily available to buy or borrow from an auto parts store, or you could improvise one on your own.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts