TW200 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
From The Daily Mail today, ‘Coronavirus deaths in Italy rose by 368 overnight to bring the total to 1,809...’. This is NOT several thousand. In my opinion, one factor causing this number in Italy is that their family bonds are stronger than in America. Here, you’re expected to move out after high school or college- and the distance from home is not considered. Older people here are not shown the love and respect in other countries. Children don’t take care of their parents (in general), and a text message or social media post is, in our eyes, equivalent to a face to face visit.
My wife and I live alone, and see our children and grand children once a week. This is considered normal here. Maybe even excessive. When I was in Manilla, Philippines two years ago, I was telling a local how neolocalism works in America. She said she felt so sorry for me and Americans who willingly separate themselves from their parents and grandparents. It took me aback.
That story is just to illustrate that the only people susceptible to this disease are in a different situation here then in most countries.
Over 4800 dead now...increased by 3000 in less than a week.

I hope people are starting to realize that this IS real....

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
fred it looks like you are spreading bad information.... this notice is from Stanford's website....

Important Notice

A widely circulating Google document claiming to have identified a potential treatment for COVID-19 in consultation with Stanford’s School of Medicine is not legitimate. Stanford Medicine was not involved in the creation of this document, nor have we published a study showing the effectiveness of this drug. Please click here for accurate information about COVID-19, and please consult a physician before taking any sort of prescription medication.

QUOTE="Fred, post: 1039019, member: 4191"]
All joking aside the perceived need to panic may be largely overstated as potential for effective medications has been mostly dismissed by those preachinf doom and gloom.
For example Stanford University's recent trial had all 40 test subjects virologically cured in 6 days with a protocal of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin in 6 days.

Sure there is lacking clinical trials but all the anecdotal evidence is positive so far. No shortage of volunteers when you look at the other societal costs.

We need to get America back to work or many of your favorite business will not be able to re-open.
Typical cash reserve in days by sector:
View attachment 204198
[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Taken from Why is Trump so keen on malaria drug to treat coronavirus?

It's no surprise that chloroquine has been part of the search to help coronavirus patients.
It's well-known, and cheap and easy to produce. In treating malaria patients, the drug has been used to reduce fever and inflammation
"Chloroquine seems to block the coronavirus in lab studies. There's some anecdotal evidence from doctors saying it has appeared to help," says James Gallagher, BBC health correspondent.
But crucially there have been no complete clinical trials which are important to show how the drug behaves in actual patients, although they are under way in China, the US, UK and Spain.
The World Health Organization says that so far there is no definitive evidence of its effectiveness, but it is part of the continuing trials.
"In order to know which therapies could work to treat the viral infection we need to undertake clinical trials to gain the full evidence to know whether they work or not," says Prof Trudie Lang, director of The Global Health Network at Oxford University.
Basically, Trump is clutching at straws and (ironically) spreading the “fake news” he so hates

Meanwhile, in Iran, they seem to have found an even better method – from Bootleg alcohol kills 194 people in Iran

At least 194 people have died and more than 1,000 poisoned

The madness continues …..

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
And on an unrelated note ......

Well, life here on the Island goes along as normal, with all the second home owners coming here early to escape the lockdown in their own cities. The mobile caravans are starting to arrive, the static caravan sites are still open, and so the chaos escalates. With barely enough food on the shelves to start off with thanks to the “panic buyers”, we now add the “locusts”

But this is not the “seasonal” influx, this the “Hey, we have a free holiday going on, and we’re going to ignore Government advice and spread things around a bit”. Snowdonia National Park is more crowded than it ever has been before, to the point where the National Park people are seriously considering closing the car parks and shutting down the trails. Meanwhile, Uncle Boris continues to procrastinate, expecting people to adhere to “suggestions”. By the time he wakes up and smells the coffee, it will be too late

For an Island (Anglesey) that relies on tourism, the “locals” are getting seriously agitated, with the approach of the “bank holiday weekend” coming. Except that the bank holiday starts now, and lasts for the next 12 weeks (at least). So the cities are coming to the countryside, despite pubs, restaurants, clubs etc being shut down, inevitably bringing the bug with them. So much for “No unnecessary travel, stay at home” – at least 30% of the rest of our country couldn’t give a shit

In the face of this ignorance, both from the Government and the citizens, there is no point in any of this to try to make “sense” of it, so thoughts turn to internal lockdown and survival. It’s strange to see an Island once so welcoming of visitors now shunning them, and I could post a link to show the strength of feeling around these parts, but I have posted enough “links” already. But suffice it to say, in these parts, there is no longer a “Welcome in the hillside”

Meanwhile, I suspect it’s the same for most of you, so stay patient, and stay safe – this is going to be a rough ride

And as for Mistervelocity, I know a wind-up when I see one, which is confirmed by your IP – nice try ......

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I've been going out only if necessary. A couple of groceries here and there. I have been riding my bike though, more than 6 feet away, wearing my helmet with face covered and gloves on. I work for the school district but I am surprised our group is actually off. We are generally away from everyone except each other, 5-7 guys most of the time basically in the field trimming trees, grading tracks, leveling low areas etc. I am trying not to spread this stuff any further. The biggest problem in the US was spring break and everyone took off to travel which spread it everywhere. I understand your concerns. Now all these people who hoarded up everything want to travel more, such as to your island, to get away from it while they contaminate all over the place. Hopefully they can come up with a vaccine, cure or something to make it less severe. They never have come up with a cure for the common cold yet so I hope it is quicker than that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
We have also been seeing interesting things happen and expect the pres to announce a total shut down to contain the virus. We need it but our economy can't afford it, the ZAR US$ exchange rate as of this morning was R17,70/$1,00. Our economy is bleeding like a stuck pig and the small business is the most affected.
According to govt stats we only have 274 cases in the country, hard to believe that, given their past performance. Predictions 70 -80% of South Africans can get infected.

·
Registered
816 Posts
All of California is on a mandatory 'shelter at home'. This includes no gathering of non-family members of more than 6 persons. This includes houses of worship.
Coming Soon;
Rationing; odd numbered addresses shop on odd numbered days, even on even.
Curfew; Sunset to Sunrise. Anyone caught outside their home during curfew will be shot on sight.
Draft; anyone with prior military experience and an honorable discharge will report at a designated military base to be announced.
Internment Camps; all persons aged 65 and older will be required to report to a designated military base or other internment camp in order to protect them from the virus and society can get back to business as usual.
Scrip; All US paper currency will no longer be recognized as legal tender after 2 weeks. Dollars must be exchanged for new money at the exchange rate of $100 old dollars for 1 new dollar.
Internment Camps, Stage 2; All persons who are without employment are to be considered non-essential, just like their old job. They will be required to report to a designated facility to be announced. All personal ID and banking information will be collected and funds applied to offset the expense to feed and clothe these 'Despicables'.

anyone care to add to these predictions?
First two predictions are now in effect;
My daughter-in-law went shopping. She was limited to one dozen eggs. They have 6; Mom, Dad and 4 kids, 2 of which are teenagers. A dozen eggs doesn't make even one breakfast! She would have to go 2 or 3 times a week to meet their needs. Normally she buys a couple flats at a time. This was COSTCO limiting to a dozen. I went to the store and was limited to 1 dozen eggs. There's just me and the wife. A dozen eggs will last us a week. I do not want to go to the store every week, with the virus getting worse as each week goes by. I want to go out early in the epidemic before there's more people out there running around with it and stock up. Normally we shop for the month. So I went to 4 stores, got 4 dozen eggs. In a month, who knows how many more will be infected and the risk of going to the store becomes greater? Not me.
Many other items being rationed as well, not just eggs.
Local CHP is posting on facebook that they are pulling over cars that are on the road after normal store hours have closed; 10pm to 5am. With shelter-in-place, there really shouldn't be too many out driving between those hours so they are pulling them over. Yesterday they posted a stack of tickets they wrote at a local swimming hole where people were gathering to take a swim in the river. NO PARKING signs were recently placed in order to keep this from being a gathering place, but people ignored them.
Baby steps. First it's a few eggs and other goods. Then the National Guard is called in to distribute food. Oh, wait... We are already there here in California. Governor called up the guard to distribute food. Local police are stationed at grocery stores to enforce limits and prevent hording. The longer this goes on, the less the public is going to put up with.

My neighbor has a dozen chickens, getting 5 or 6 eggs a day. I wonder if she'd be willing to barter? I've seen a dozen deer out back last night and turkeys every day. Some meat for some eggs.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
SkiPro – I have the same problem in that we go shopping once every three weeks or so. With no opportunity to “stock up” and consume stuff like we used to, we now have to go shopping more often, with the danger of increased exposure that comes it

Major supermarkets are now taking bookings for “home delivery” in four weeks time - how someone self-isolating through necessity is expected to feed a family is beyond me. Fortunately, we live in a rural area, where people look after each other, unlike the cities. I’m contemplating a barter system with the guy two doors down – in exchange for a dozen of his free range duck eggs, I’ll give him his cows back, which are currently in my garden (again). Life goes on, just avoid the crowds and think outside the box

Meanwhile, as the National Government (here) drags its heels, local Councils are stepping up to the plate, closing caravan sites, car parks, play grounds, national parks, pubs, clubs, restaurants - pretty much everything they can. The theory is, is that if the tourists have nothing to do when they get here, they’ll think twice about coming. When MacDonalds closes, you know it’s serious. Last Sunday, two clowns drove from Surrey to Snowdonia, a distance of around 220 miles, to give the Mountain Rescue teams the privilege of getting them down when they became stuck half way up a mountain. So much for “Stay at home”. The local feeling is “You can stay stuck up the mountain” – (I’ll spare you the rest, it wasn’t pretty)

Our erstwhile PM, Uncle Boris, is expected to “make a statement” in a few hours – and we’re all holding our breath (before breaking out laughing)

Only its not so funny when you’re at the end of it ……

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Purple, I see BJ has now locked down the UK. We surely will see more of this around the world.

·
Registered
341 Posts
All I see around here are parents and children playing in their yards, people riding bikes, folks walking their dogs, motorcycles everywhere, and a general sense of "I don't care. I'm going to enjoy my life anyway".

·
Registered
55 Posts
All I see around here are parents and children playing in their yards, people riding bikes, folks walking their dogs, motorcycles everywhere, and a general sense of "I don't care. I'm going to enjoy my life anyway".
We were ordered to 'shelter in place' here in California, but that doesn't mean it's a virtual 'lock down' requiring you to stay inside your home. It's OK to walk your dog, go for a run, play in your yard, go buy groceries or visit your doctor just as long as you practice 'social distancing' - staying at least 6 feet away from others.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
seems to be the same everywhere, folks out enjoying not having to work or go to school. beautiful sunny day here in the Canadian north. It will be interesting to see how the next couple of months work out. I'm sure we will all get used to the virus being around, its not going anywhere soon... and maybe people will quit hording toilet paper. can't wait for that big stimulus package to hit the ground then we can really party.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
"But I feel fine"....those four words will be the death of our parents and grandparents.
I hope that those who are scoffing at these measures now, get a nice big dose of karma in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
At least I will have lived.
I think most of us have... and still are even though we are concerned about our wellbeing and that of others. Death is the outcome for all of us...

81 - 100 of 135 Posts