TW200 Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1150 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Nothing else matters to me if you have a good heart and a mind that does no harm. I was very lucky to work at Harley-Davidson of Washington D.C. There I was able to work with people from all walks of life and many different country's as well. There were a few jerks but for the most part great people. I'll be honest I miss that place!

·
Registered
362 Posts
What would you call an individual who dislikes one or more ethnic groups for they way they behave, not their skin color or their religious beliefs, but treats them with respect the same as all others?
I disagree with troll. I would label that person a racist, or at best, a somewhat considerate bigot. You cannot lump individuals of a race/ethnic group together and assume they're all the same. We're all free moral agents, and we're able to behave differently than others in our same race. Ethnic groups are made up of individuals with incredibly different moral codes, and each can behave differently.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I disagree with troll. I would label that person a racist, or at best, a somewhat considerate bigot. You cannot lump individuals of a race/ethnic group together and assume they're all the same. We're all free moral agents, and we're able to behave differently than others in our same race. Ethnic groups are made up of individuals with incredibly different moral codes, and each can behave differently.
So, if you dislike another groups behavior, you’re a racist or a bigot. I said dislike, not hate. How do you catigorize religious beliefs, since they are often times associated with ethnic groups? For example, if someone dislikes or disagrees with the Buddhist or Mormon church’s belief’s or behavior, are they a religious racist or a bigot?
It goes without saying and any reasonable individual would agree, that all people in a group are not the same, believe exactly the same way, or act the same. To clarify my question, I’ll refraise it. So far it seems everyone on the planet is a racist bigot in some way.
Gastone165 said:
What would you call an individual who dislikes or disagrees with one or more ethnic groups for the way that a large percentage of the more outspoken members behave, not because of their skin color or their religious beliefs, but treats them with respect the same as all others?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
One day two young Black Muslims came into the Harley shop. I walked up and greeted them like I did everyone else. To make a long story short they were two of the finest young men I'd ever talked to. They often came to our H.O.G. meetings and talked religion with the Black Baptist members and just had a great time riding with the group. You just can't judge a book by it's cover.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
So, if you dislike another groups behavior, you’re a racist or a bigot. I said dislike, not hate. How do you catigorize religious beliefs, since they are often times associated with ethnic groups? For example, if someone dislikes or disagrees with the Buddhist or Mormon church’s belief’s or behavior, are they a religious racist or a bigot?
It goes without saying and any reasonable individual would agree, that all people in a group are not the same, believe exactly the same way, or act the same. To clarify my question, I’ll refraise it. So far it seems everyone on the planet is a racist bigot in some way.
Gastone165 said:
What would you call an individual who dislikes or disagrees with one or more ethnic groups for the way that a large percentage of the more outspoken members behave, not because of their skin color or their religious beliefs, but treats them with respect the same as all others?
this discussion illustrates how difficult it is to develop the more nuanced elements of ones perceptions or discussion point

·
Registered
362 Posts
Gastone165 said:
Let's take all of the fluff out of what you said, so you can "hear" your own words... "dislikes...ethnic groups". Now go back to post #498 for the definition of racism, and post #996 for the definition of bigot.

Even with your rephrased sentence, I would still label that person as a racist or bigot, because that person would be stating that they dislike an ethnic group. It would be better to state what you don't like about what they (the people) are doing, than to classify the ethnicity as intolerable.

Religion and ethnicity/race are two entirely different topics. You cannot be a racist if you are intolerant of someone else's religion, though you certainly could be a bigot if you showed hate or intolerance toward that religion.

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
So,....ahh,....how's the virus going? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Going good up here LT...the gub'mint is starting to relax the restrictions and we are able to move about a bit more than last week.
Our case-count is just over 2400 and climbs each day....albeit in baby steps...but climbing nonetheless. Looking forward to our first day with ZERO new cases!
The "recovered" number is also climbing...eventually, the ACTIVE cases and RECOVERED will meet and we will achieve net-zero cases.
Hospitalized and critical numbers are dropping thankfully...

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Things go quickly off the track around here, you know how it goes... ;)

By the way I like your signature line! (y)

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Hopefully this weekend Spokane, Washington opens up for phase two. For folks in my risk group there is no going-out, not even through phase three or phase four... :(

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
So,....ahh,....how's the virus going?
Not good.

Yesterday, we had 1.528 deaths from the coronavirus here in the U.S.

That brings our total Covid-19 deaths to 94,629 (which, by all accounts, is an undercount). That equals the number of soldiers we lost in the Korean and Vietnam wars combined.

The U.S., which has 4% of the world's population, now has 29% of the world’s deaths due to Covid-19.

1001 - 1020 of 1150 Posts