TW200 Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1539 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just look up what AOC said on Twitter. She deleted it but 200,000 people retweeted it. So it's still out there. The liberal politicians are just evil in what they are doing. Don't believe me? Look it up.
Try to curb your ignorance. You should check your bogus sources before going on a rant. The AOC quote is fake. Don't believe me? Look it up. If you can't find it, I'm happy to provide the link.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wearing a mask is not about "fear"...it makes sense, since this is an respiratory virus.
I guess washing our hands is a symbol of submission too?
Your other scenarios re: "Don't order anything....someone could die delivering it" are red herrings; people will die every day regardless of what I do BUT wearing a mask...social distancing...washing hands....those are all LOGICAL solutions that require minimal effort.
Maybe there are no frail seniors in your life....but there are in mine, and as long as they are, I will take SENSIBLE precautions to protect them.

....and YES, Liberals (both the Pols and their supporters) are evil...I see it everyday.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There are evil liberals and conservatives. The correct science in preventing this virus is pretty easy to see through all of the political BS, but it requires taking off your political glasses to see it clearly.
Analyze countries and cities that had a spike in cases and now are successful in reducing those cases long-term. Follow those examples. It is a simple formula.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I found this interesting. Stay off of the Grass

https://ccla.org/cclanewsite/wp-cont...n-Canada-1.pdf

I live in British Columbia (BC), a province in Canada. BC is doing arguably well. If we were a country, we'd be down there with the other successful (so far) countries. We currently have 14 people in hospital, and 1 death in the last two weeks. We are in Phase 3 of opening up.

B.C. accounts for only 22 of an estimated 10,000 COVID-19-related law enforcement tickets issued across Canada.

By gleaning provincial law enforcement data and media reports, CCLA estimated 10,000 COVID-19-related charges were laid between April 1 and June 15 in Canada. Quebec authorities had issued 6,600; Ontario authorities issued 2,853 and Nova Scotia authorities issued 555.

Guess which provinces are doing the worst? Quebec, Ontario, and Nova Scotia. In that order.

Stick, meet carrot.

In BC, police and bylaw officers were not permitted to enforce public health orders.

Here in BC, social distancing and masks are recommendations.

“Trying to police our way out of this pandemic is unimaginative, sometimes unconstitutional, and ineffective. When rules don’t make sense, people stop listening to those in authority. When laws are unworkable or indecipherable, people ignore them.”

“Public trust wanes when we feel that laws are irrational, that police and politicians are more concerned about quotas than safety. And public health suffers when the very communities that need the most support are the ones experiencing the most repression.”

·
Registered
485 Posts
Interesting. In your opinion, aside from the policing aspect, do you see any other reasons BC is doing better than other countries?

·
Registered
304 Posts
From the very start of this thing, the message has been "Be kind, be calm, be safe."

There have not been moves by our provincial government that politicizes the pandemic.

I say this and I am NOT a fan of the political party in power currently. Our Premier has shown real leadership qualities, and I respect him for that.

The health authority speaks and directs, not the elected representatives. Our head doctor has some exceptional qualifications; ex-military, on the front of the Ebola pandemic, and compassionate. She has the trust of the citizens because she is 100% credible.

Treat people respectfully, and they will respond respectfully.

Pretty simple, actually. Maybe there is something to the whole "polite Canadian" thing.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I can't speak for everyone else in BC, but it has been my observation that when directives are presented, there is tacit acceptance of the new rules because, as NorthernSpy suggests...it's never a case of one political party against another...we're getting our directions from an actual doctor and it's all for the greater good.
It's not often that you see ALL political parties in this Province in agreement over anything, so it adds credence to the issue.
One thing to remember is that like Italy, BC has a LARGE population of seniors...people's parents and grand-parents...and this may have something to do with the compliance-factor. Nobody wants to be responsible for killing their own parents!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,468
"Nobody wants to be responsible for killing their own parents"

Well – most of us – we’ll see how re-opening the schools works out in England (the Welsh aren’t falling for it)

I’d agree that it’s largely up to the populace on how to interpret the “recommendations” and behave. In the last 2 days (30c), most of our “indestructible youth” have been out making hay while the sun shines (again in England, and again the Welsh aren’t falling for it), but they’ll catch it from each other, take it back home, and “here we go again”

In America, the Southern States with infection rates that are currently exploding are taking the “Don’t tell us what to do” approach, though I suspect the quiet majority will be wearing masks. If it’s not sensationalist, the media don’t cover it

Part of the problem is that Government don’t give definitive instructions backed up by sanctions, afraid to alienate the voters – the other part is that for every five people that behave, one doesn’t, as that’s all the leverage this virus needs to keep going. Ignorance is a human condition that we’re just going to have to put up with

Add to that the argument of economic success versus human life, and you can guess the rest. Follow the money, while “Lenny the Loon” jumps up and down saying “Look at me, I’m still alive”

Enjoy the show folks – this is likely to take a while …….

·
Registered
485 Posts
Aside from the political upheaval, economic impact and the carnage, it has certainly been a fascinating optic to the reaction of our societies when the shite hits the fan - in a train-wreck sort of way. It's way easier now to spot the groups and individuals who value personal freedom over societal well being. It's also fascinating to see how other countries' governments are dealing with this problem. It's unusual to be able to compare these reactions at the same time. In my lifetime, I can't think of another global equal-opportunity devastation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In your opinion, aside from the policing aspect, do you see any other reasons BC is doing better than other countries?
I think one factor is that BC is just north of Washington state. Very early on (early March) there were some well-publicized deaths in a nursing home just south of the border, and those were heavily featured on the local news in BC. I think that got British Columbians taking this very seriously early on, and people here paid attention to that early warning. As soon as things started ramping up, most folks stayed home and actually listened to the local health authority warnings.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It's unusual to be able to compare these reactions at the same time. In my lifetime, I can't think of another global equal-opportunity devastation.
Have you forgotten Y2K?
Granted, it wasn't an economy-killer like this has been...but talk about paranoia!

·
Registered
304 Posts
... It's way easier now to spot the groups and individuals who value personal freedom over societal well being. ....
And there lies the division (which is a false dichotomy used by both far right and far left).

Why does it have to be either/or? A respectful society can have both personal freedom AND societal well being.

The problem with our world today is that of not knowing (or teaching) right from wrong. That, and a lack of self-discipline.

If we have not yet collectively lost our common sense and our common values, it is certainly held hostage by a very vocal minority utilizing subjective relativism. But that is OK, as relativism is self-annihilating, and comes and goes like a sine wave in history.

“Right is right even if nobody does it. Wrong is wrong even if everybody is wrong about it.” - G K Chesterton

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I say this and I am NOT a fan of the political party in power currently. Our Premier has shown real leadership qualities, and I respect him for that.
Haha...without turning this into a "political thread" I find your comment interesting.
I agree that John Horgan has done a great job of dealing with this pandemic and I believe it is a feather in his cap for the next election - yet I can't help but wonder if things would have gone the same way with the last administration (who I still contend, will be revealed as the most corrupt administration this Province has ever seen....when the smoke finally clears) and if they would have given Dr. Henry the same latitude, or if they would have kept her on a tighter leash.
I had to laugh at your comment of NOT being a fan of this government...I thought all Islanders and Coast'ers were NDP supporters. 😁

·
Registered
304 Posts
:) Maybe it would be fairer to say that I have not yet found a political party that I am fond of. I find them self-serving, vindictive, somewhat corrupt, and not in touch with what people truly need from governance. Generally just a choice between Scylla and Charybdis (or turd soup and sh%t sandwich, if you prefer the vernacular).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have you forgotten Y2K?
Granted, it wasn't an economy-killer like this has been...but talk about paranoia!
I remember my elderly mother hoarding gas, canned food, kerosene, etc. The electric grid was supposed to go down and all infrastructure controlled by computers was supposed to collapse. It was actually pretty exciting to think that everything might fall apart at the seams, and it ended up barely registering on the fart-o-meter. OMG people were paranoid!

·
Registered
485 Posts
:) Maybe it would be fairer to say that I have not yet found a political party that I am fond of. I find them self-serving, vindictive, somewhat corrupt, and not in touch with what people truly need from governance. Generally just a choice between Scylla and Charybdis (or turd soup and sh%t sandwich, if you prefer the vernacular).
And to compartmentalize that idea: It's likely because the people who should run for office, would never consider running for office.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I remember my elderly mother hoarding gas, canned food, kerosene, etc. The electric grid was supposed to go down and all infrastructure controlled by computers was supposed to collapse. It was actually pretty exciting to think that everything might fall apart at the seams, and it ended up barely registering on the fart-o-meter. OMG people were paranoid!
Meanwhile...with Australia a full 12 hours ahead of us, we were able to witness whatever they might go through, and react accordingly...but as you said, it was the biggest let-down of the millenia!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
looks like the Brits are having toooooo much fun in the sun.... as Europe's numbers start going up

1461 - 1480 of 1539 Posts