TW200 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Someone said that the Trump admin cut funding to the CDC. That is pure Fake News and patently untrue. There are over 110,000 employees in the DOJ and over 100K of them are career government employees and protected by union policies. It is not fair to call them Obama holdovers and many have been there since Clinton and even before. It is fair to expect many to be full Anti Trump maybe as many as 50+% of them. It is very hard to get things done in any agency where half the employees are against the party in control. Coming from a background in business it is completely understandable that DJT would see a slacker or employee working against him by refusing to follow his orders and want that employee fired of moved.
This Coronavirus knows nothing about politics or political parties and cares not where it infects people. Democrats are doing all they can to pin this emergency on Trump and to promote panic and blame. In discussions with friends we have already contemplated what Andre mentions above, "Let Loose Deliberately". Since the virus is most dangerous to the elderly and the least healthy among the Chinese population it is certainly possible this is a planned genocide in a communist country with well over 1.5 billion mouths to feed and care for. We don't yet have any answers nor do we know of any cure or vaccine but what we do know is many who contract the virus do survive unlike with Ebola. The elderly and unhealthy are the ones who tend to die and they are also the most expensive where healthcare is concerned. Just as Bernie and Bloomberg believe, if you are 90 years old and diagnosed with prostate cancer just go home and accept your fate because you have lived long enough. Just remember this, the Chinese doctor who first blew the whistle about the Coronavirus was silenced and then contracted the disease and died from it. Let that sink in.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
conspiracies abound..... the same was thought about HIV/aids. disease based die-offs are a natural occurrence and have been since the beginning of time. Homo sapiens have gone through a few of these in recorded history. The more people on the planet the worse it will get.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Someone said that the Trump admin cut funding to the CDC. That is pure Fake News and patently untrue.
And the rest of your post is simple conjecture.

Simply shouting "FAKE NEWS" when presented with facts exposes the weakness of your argument.

Here are 3 reputable news sources that say Trump did cut funding for the CDC.

Fortune magazine:
"The Trump administration recently requested $2.5 billion in emergency funds to prepare the U.S. for a possible widespread outbreak of coronavirus. Critics, though, are pointing out that money might not be necessary if the administration hadn’t spent the past two years largely dismantling government units that were designed to protect against pandemics.

The cuts started in 2018, as the White House focused on eliminating funding to Obama-era disease security programs.

That same year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was forced to slash its efforts to prevent global disease outbreak by 80% as its funding for the program began to run out. The agency, at the time, opted to focus on 10 priority countries and scale back in others, including China.

Also cut was the Complex Crises Fund, a $30 million emergency response pool that was at the secretary of state’s disposal to deploy disease experts and others in the event of a crisis."

Business Insider:
"Trump spent the past 2 years slashing the government agencies responsible for handling the coronavirus outbreak.

In 2018, for instance, the CDC cut 80% of its efforts to prevent global disease outbreaks because it was running out of money. Ultimately, the department went from working in 49 countries to just 10.
Here are some other actions the Trump administration undertook to dismantle government-spending programs related to fighting the spread of global diseases, according to Foreign Policy:
  • Shutting down the entire global-health-security unit of the National Security Council.
  • Eliminating the US government's $30 million Complex Crises Fund.
  • Reducing national health spending by $15 billion"

Vox.com:
In 2005, during the H1N5 bird flu scare, the US Agency for International Development ran a program called Predict to identify and research infectious diseases in animal populations in the developing world. Most new viruses that impact humans — apparently including the one causing the Covid-19 disease — emerge through this route, so investing in early research is the kind of thing that, at modest ongoing cost, served to reduce the likelihood of rare but catastrophic events.
The program was initiated under George W. Bush and continued through Barack Obama’s eight years in office; then, last fall the Trump administration shut it down.

That’s part of a broader pattern of actual and potential Trump efforts to shut down America’s ability to respond to pandemic disease.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
You just made my point by posting what VOX.com wrote.
"

·
Registered
55 Posts
You just made my point by posting what VOX.com wrote.
"
Well, I see that reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Apparently you didn't read the links in the Fortune and Business Insider quotes I provided.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
There certainly are and have been many cuts to government agencies under this admin. Some were very necessary while others may well have been an overstep. Yes, Trump has proposed many cuts across the board and in his admin he has experts to decide what proposed cuts should happen.
There simply is no ONE man in this entire world who knows all. He is the Commander in Chief and as such he gets to make many decisions based on what he thinks but we have a Stop Gap check called Congress to make sure he does not get ahead of his own skis. There is lots of money still available from the Ebola outbreak that remain unused. More money for the Coronavirus has been proposed and will be available. Experts who at first challenged his travel bans from China are now very happy he imposed them. We will certainly have more cases of infections however here in the US those who do become infected have a much greater chance of survival than in most other countries. I think he is doing a fine job in this emergency while the democrats are kicking and screaming all the way as usual. A Trump company could find the cure for cancer and the democrats would be pissed that he put so many of their research pals out of business. Winning, winning and more winning and they hate it.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Well, I see that reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Apparently you didn't read the links in the Fortune and Business Insider quotes I provided.
Wrong again Butch! I certainly did read and understand both of those quotes. The issue is I don't believe everything I read until I fact check what is written. I am not quite as gullible as you seem to be. I also do watch CNN and MSNBC now and then and also find them to be absolutely useless where the truth is concerned. FNC does have a couple truth tellers in it's line up and OANN is my Go To network when I want the entire truthful story. Just because some jackwagon authored an article in the NY Times does not qualify what he wrote as truth or even close to accurate.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
For every piece of news saying the Democrats/Republicans are right, there will be another saying exactly the opposite – rinse and repeat – at the moment, it’s like watching two people constantly contradict each other on this thread. One giant game of ping pong

Likewise, conspiracy theories abound on the origins of this virus, and I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned the Klingons so far. After all, we could have met them in the future, then they could use a time warp to attack mankind in the present

The stark truth is, vote for who and what you believe in, and once you’ve done that, sit back and accept the consequences. Same deal with this virus – it’s here, so deal with it

The media makes a living out of winding everybody up, and parroting everything you can find on the internet isn’t going to solve anything

As it seems this thread is now going round in circles, I’m closing it (just) before it deteriorates. Any complaints, put it on a post card and send it to Vertical Scope (I’m sure they will respond, but only if you have Premium membership) ………

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.