TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

P.S. That KX500 (and its rider) at 1:37 is a total beast!

I think they probably could with the right rider and suitable gearing. It surely would not be easy though! The reason I think they probably could is because you can get a pretty good run at these and victory is all about sheer speed up to about the 80 percent mark, then some careful throttle and clutch modulation to get up over the last stretch. It would be interesting to find out :)

Assuming they could get to the top, which of these two models would it be easier on (assuming relative equality in suspension performance and tires)? I'm inclined to give a small edge to the WRR due to weight and chassis superiority. Finally, would these hills be doable in second gear, or do you need third (depending on the bike, I guess...)? That's something I don't have a lot of experience with, having owned mostly small bikes which can't get out of their own ways in second gear. To put that question differently, how fast would you need to be able to top out at in order to have enough momentum to get it done? 36 mph? 40? 50? I'd make an educated guess that 40 mph would be sufficient. More than 40 or 45 would rule out the stock-motor WRR.

Can't help but wonder about things like this since I might (will, hopefully) have one of those one day in the not-too-horribly-distant future...

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
I'd think the WRR250 would make it, but the DR would be too heavy. But that's just a guess on what was just shown. Several other variables as well.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm you might be right. The DR 650 does have the power and torque to theoretically get it really zooming up a hill like that, but like you said it is a heavy beast and that's a lot of bike to get up a near vertical hill with the tire spinning. I wish I could try the hills with both right now and find out :)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My DR would have proper suspension, tires, and gearing. And yea I'm still young enough to be dumb enough to have a go on one hahaha :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
WR with stock gearing, most likely not.
With my gearing 12 / 48 and a new D606, 2nd should be doable.
I'd let my son try it first.:)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Given good setup on both bikes... I'd say both are possible, but yeah, the WRR's weight would make it much more controllable. The DR's a near-lightweight of the big bore class at 366 lbs (the KTM 690 is 300), but that's 66 lbs more than the WRR. Much as I'm a DR fan, those kinds of climbs are not its forte.

If you like that kind of riding, you really need a snowmobile... well, assuming the Sierras ever get snow again that is.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those snowmobile guys are nuts man! I've seen them cause avalanches and then fall all the way down a damn mountain. My luck that'd be me, and then I'd get buried and die... I really like dirt bikes much more than other similar machines because they are generally much easier to get away from when things go wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts