TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CSC RX3 thread has me thinking. Why we don't all buy one, is the questionable (or known) quality issues on Chinese products.

The TW is a nine-tenths machine. It will do everything but the Interstates. It has load capacity.

How about a REMAKE? A GS-style tank and seat. Styled and proportioned panniers. Front fairing to ease the wind (at 50 mph, that won't be a big issue).

Thoughts?

I don't get to the head of the line at CSC, because of previous Chinese experience.

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
No GS-style tank and seat...
No styled and proportioned panniers...
No front fairing...

But then again, adventure is how you look at things not what you ride. In fact, one could argue that the less conforming the machine, the more adventurous the undertaking. Nice of Doc to include me in the list of far more accomplished adventurers.

View attachment 22574

Tank issue solved by Rotopax.
Seat issue solved by enough saddle time to ride a stocker and not notice.
Panniers solved by Happy Trail, admittedly not "styled" but they do fit the rugged and utilitarian look of the TW.
Fairing solved by a good full face helmet and a warm jacket.
Lack of highway speed solved by staying off of them.

So, "Could any daring fool...?" No, probably not. But can a prepared and motivated rider? Certainly.

200cc's is still probably 150 more than you really need.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DonBenito already said it well. There are many T-Dubs owned by members of this forum, that are adventure machines, and do adventure riding.

Gina Marie (PPE) is one example. Jim (RhodeTrip....and Mrs. Trip) are another coule examples, for the trip they just did. Borneo is another example. Hoot and Nick are a couple more examples.

Next year we have a ride planned called the TW West Coast Clam Chowder Adventure.....starting in Victoria, B.C., and ending in Tijuana, Mexico...all along the West Coast, and all on T-Dubs.

In 2017 we have the biggie....TWAT17.....TW's Alaska Tour, where we will spend a full month riding our TWs all around the Northwest Territories, the Yukon, and all around Alaska...for approx. 5000 miles of dirt and gravel roads and trails.

How many wannabees over at the ADV forum have ever ridden thru Alaska ?
Somehow that trip all across America dropped off my radar. I tend to go to the NEW POSTS section; and I guess my time here never crossed with new posts.

I like the setups shown; but I do wish there were a front fairing for the machine. When you're out in all weather on a long trip, it makes a difference.

A bigger tank would be essential. From reading, the two Clarke options require more modding on the seat than I'm capable of without a shop.

And an integral seat to the tall tank would also be much desirous. Maybe the latter isn't necessary..,

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Somehow that trip all across America dropped off my radar. I tend to go to the NEW POSTS section; and I guess my time here never crossed with new posts.

I like the setups shown; but I do wish there were a front fairing for the machine. When you're out in all weather on a long trip, it makes a difference.

A bigger tank would be essential. From reading, the two Clarke options require more modding on the seat than I'm capable of without a shop.

And an integral seat to the tall tank would also be much desirous. Maybe the latter isn't necessary..,
Clarke offers a tank that is roughly a gallon larger than stock and there is zero modification required.

Tom

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Over 25,000 miles on our TWs... 3 countries...29 states and provinces...if we only had the right bikes...it could have been an adventure!

·
Registered
583 Posts
But then again, adventure is how you look at things not what you ride. In fact, one could argue that the less conforming the machine, the more adventurous the undertaking.
Wise words by a wise man if I may say so myself.

Daring Fool I may be but the building of my "Adventure TW" was a blast and the subsequent back to back adventures it has taken me on were by far the most rewarding motorcycle trips I have been on and will be hard to beat. I have other bikes but get way more smiles per mile on my TW. In 2013 my brother-in-law and I rode the entire west coast of NFLD as far north and south as roads and trails could take us on our TW200's. In 2014 the mighty T-Dub carried me from Nova Scotia through New Brunswick,Quebec,across Labrador,NFLD and back home. Over 4000 trouble free kms each time.

The windshield, tank panniers and good rain gear was enough protection for me during bad weather....and we experienced plenty of that in Labrador in 2014!!
I have a Seat Concepts seat and sheepskin (because my backside isn't as tough as Borneo's) and the TW specific Clarke tank and both are easy bolt on mods.
I carry about 4 litres of fuel in two aluminium containers attached to the pannier racks and more in simple 2 litre pop bottles when needed.
I have hard luggage but prefer soft luggage when on a long trip because it keeps the weight down and I can pack more gear and beer.:)

DSCF2009.JPG

If you are thinking of setting your TW up for adventure touring.....just do it..... I promise you won't regret it!!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The T dub already is an adventure machine albiet with too small fuel capacity.
Cargo capacity is easy enough to get and a carry along fuel tank can be included.
It could also benefit from a larger saddle as could ALL adventure bikes except the BMW behemouth
Which is really too big and heavy to be a real adventure bike, just look at the move wrong way round movie to see that they break down and hurt his back from picking it up too many times.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am shamed.

Folks here have figured it out, in ways I couldn't have dreamed of.

Wish I had a cycle boneyard close by. Be plenty of hard cases to pick up...I like using the old Vetter cases, but the odds of finding a set of them...slim. I'll settle for something that can fit against the dimensions.

The idea of getting an old windshield - SUPERB. Hack up an old one. Scratches don't matter.

As for the Clarke tank for the TW - I was under the impression that the one designed "for" the TW still required heavy modification on the seat forward part.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Nope, the Clarke tank works excellently with no mods required, but like TWilight mentioned, you have to fiddle with the right side cover a little.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wish I had a cycle boneyard close by. Be plenty of hard cases to pick up...I like using the old Vetter cases, but the odds of finding a set of them...slim.
Try to find motorcycle swap meets in your area. Mid Ohio Motorcycle Vintage days has everything you are looking for, trust me! Where are you from?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The CSC RX3 thread has me thinking. Why we don't all buy one, is the questionable (or known) quality issues on Chinese products.

The TW is a nine-tenths machine. It will do everything but the Interstates. It has load capacity.

How about a REMAKE? A GS-style tank and seat. Styled and proportioned panniers. Front fairing to ease the wind (at 50 mph, that won't be a big issue).

Thoughts?

I don't get to the head of the line at CSC, because of previous Chinese experience.
Was thinking of buying another tw and setting it up for long rides Clark 2.7 tank 4 one gallon cans and to solve the interstate problem I was thinking nitrous oxide for short 10hp boost just to get it up to speed oh and a 45 rear sprocket

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Was thinking of buying another tw and setting it up for long rides Clark 2.7 tank 4 one gallon cans and to solve the interstate problem I was thinking nitrous oxide for short 10hp boost just to get it up to speed oh and a 45 rear sprocket
OK. I really can't imagine why you would want to set up a TW for long distance interstate travel, but hey, whatever makes you happy. I mean interstates really kinda blow for riding in general and definitely on a TW. Plus, they generally have abundant fuel stops which would be far safer, and maybe even faster than dumping one gallon cans on the berm with 18 wheelers whizzing by.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My TW is more suitable for the super slab than a BMW R1200GS is for the rocky mountain trails I ride on.

·
Registered
746 Posts
BTW, how about a link to the thread in question? Search function ignores something as short as "CSC" or "RX3."

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have bought several wheels and forks from Brenda at Bike Bone Yard and she has been great to work with since she mails the parts to me here in Alaska.

Most re-cycle places would only ship UPS which is terribly expensive to AK.

Give her a call or send an email about anything you are looking for, she may have it.

Bike Bone Yard - Motorcycle Salvage Yard Stocking Many Diverse Parts

1 - 20 of 50 Posts