TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking at a TW at my local cycle shop the other day I walked by a new SR400. Just like you never forget your first girlfriend, I immediately remembered how much my Honda CB550 delighted me in my 20's. My future riding will be split 50-50 between quiet exurban streets and mountain forest / logging roads. While my mind says look away, my emotions say otherwise. To use the girlfriend analogy again, there were women who I knew weren' t good for me but the attraction was mighty strong.

Is it feasible (or wise) to take anSR400 with appropriate tires into the mountains?

SR 400: seat height 31, wet weight 384, tank 3.2, rear wheel travel 4.1, front travel 5.9, front tire 90/100-18, rear 110/90-18, EFI. My hitch is rated 500 lbs.

I never listened to my father when he warned me about some of my girlfriends, but hopefully I am a little smarter now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yamaha SR400 stock and forest road modified

IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1992.JPG

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I had similar thoughts, but Yamaha of Las Vegas parts manager, who rides a TW and has given a knowledgeable answer to every question, re TW and XT, commented that the SR400 did not have much power…his seat of the pants feel, after riding it.

- The SR400 is 24 HP @ 6,400 with 7,000 redline (XT is ~ 17 HP). Using the displacement ratio of 249:399, the S400 should have about 27 HP to be proportionate.

- 21 ft lbs at 5,500 (XT is 14.5 ft lbs). Using the displacement ratio of 249:399, the S400 should have about 23 HP to be proportionate.

- Reviews mention vibration over 60 (XT250 is smooth to 70+)

- The SR400 weighs 384 pounds (XT250 is 291, 93 pounds lighter)

+ The SR400 3.2 gallon tank at 66 MPG can go 211 miles (XT250 2.6 gallon tank at 76 MPG can go 197 miles)

+ The travel on the front forks of a SR400 is 3 inches less than a XT250.

+ The SR400 seat is an inch lower than the XT250.

+ Might be easier to find scrambler tires for the SR400

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-heritage/models/2017/sr400/compare/?compId=59232e322a0ab6452c51d523

Just my 2 cents, but probably why I went with the XT250…for now.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sure you could. They raced mx on bikes not that unlike it back in the day. But that's because there were no better choices back then. I do like that bike for the road though . If you have a bug up your butt for one to ride on dirt roads,go ahead and do it. Only you need to be happy with your decision . You can always sell it if it's not what you want. I wish that 400 motor came in the TW

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
In 78 I bought one of the new SR 500s. I lived in Klamath Falls Oregon then so there was no shortage of off roading opportunities.
I began going off road with it often, deserts, mountains. I didn't even change tires. There was a great hill climb about a mile from home where all the rugged dirt bikes tested themselves. One day on a whim I pointed the SR 500 up the hill and let her rip. Up on the pegs forward against the handlebars, A quarter mile up I cleaned the hill and stopped in front of a gawking group of dirt bike riders who just stared. They had not expected to see a pavement bike up there, much less with a windshield. I greeted them and went back down. Next time I was at the Yamaha shop I was hearing stories about how some dirt riders had seen a road bike like mine go up the hill climb and clean it.
Sure, I crashed a few times so I traded it for an enduro.

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
The original SR500 was a pure art – bitch to start unless you had lead in your boots

Tried the SRX once – damn near wore myself out trying to kick start that one - (with the side stand down) ……

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I still think I would love to own an SR500, but at 67, with no electric start button, me thinks that might be folly.:joyous:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Reading through this makes me wish you could buy a new XT 500 with an electric starter. My DR 650 isn't far from that but even lower and lighter with better wheelies would be great.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ground clearance question

As I work through the possibilities of modifying a SR400 for forest roads and easier trails, I find aftermarket tires, scatter shields and fenders available. My concern is the lack of offroad style exhaust which would move the pipes away from the bottom of the bike. Motorcycle design shops show off some fine exhausts but my extensive search of US, Japanese and German catalogues yields nothing. With 5.5" of ground clearance it appears the pipes may be damaged.

As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I work through the possibilities of modifying a SR400 for forest roads and easier trails, I find aftermarket tires, scatter shields and fenders available. My concern is the lack of offroad style exhaust which would move the pipes away from the bottom of the bike. Motorcycle design shops show off some fine exhausts but my extensive search of US, Japanese and German catalogues yields nothing. With 5.5" of ground clearance it appears the pipes may be damaged.

As always, your thoughts are appreciated.
I actually just sold my SR400 with this treatment to my sister because I was concerned about slamming the exhaust and some of the doodads on the undercarrage offroad. I'd post a link to what I did but apparently I don't have enough posts?

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
The SR400 would excel in a different type of riding that what the TW does well in. Thus you might find yourself riding differently to different destinations on different roads with different experiences. If your riding areas feature smooth logging roads the flat tracking, swing-the-tail out ride of the SR400 might be more enjoyable than the more plebeian performance of the TW. If you enjoy challenging trails on the TW then repeating them on the SR might need more care and thus a less “whoo-hoo” factor. I would never ask a new girlfriend do what the old one did, this tends to get you slapped.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts