TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
I sure hope not. Certainly an exciting naked street bike but at 150 kilos dry it might be asking much to take this urban exploration vehicle out on the trail. Any future TW replacement should hopefully continue as a true dual sport machine.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you are correct- it's not much of a dirt bike. i am impressed by the simple design and high quality components of this little thumper!

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Good bike no doubt. I just hope for permissible gasoline fueled off-road sports continuing on into the futrue along with the machinery that makes it possible. Everything can't go electric, not many charging stations in Tierra del Fuego.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know here in Western Pa. with all the so called "development" and urban sprawl we are loosing a lot of our old riding areas. The places where I learned my off road riding skills are now industrial parks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know here in Western Pa. with all the so called "development" and urban sprawl we are loosing a lot of our old riding areas. The places where I learned my off road riding skills are now industrial parks.
Same here in WI. You can't ride off road unless it's private property or a gravel road. Designated trail doesn't exist. Really is no reason to even own a dual sport bike anymore. Unless your riding out of state like you guy out west.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Same here in WI. You can't ride off road unless it's private property or a gravel road. Designated trail doesn't exist. Really is no reason to even own a dual sport bike anymore. Unless your riding out of state like you guy out west.
This has been my gripe right along here in NY state. We have millions of acres of state park lands put aside and paid for by our outrageous tax dollars and every acre is off limits to ORVs. Some of these gorgeous deep woods places are only accessible to those who are very healthy and well acquainted hikers. I have heard it said that 98% of the State Park lands are only ever seen by less than 2% of the residents. By law here in NY if you own an ATV it must be licensed and registered with plates yet the only place you can ride them off of private property is on some frozen lakes and to do that they must be insured.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Possibly consider moving out west where in many areas we are still permitted certain freedoms...Like here, where you can pass tricked out KTMs with a ratty old TW and ride for hours without seeing a sign or regulation.:p

·
Registered
227 Posts
No...don't move out West , Fred was just kidding …...it is hot and cold and dry and wet and …..well......lonely ……. :rolleyes:

Seriously... riding opportunities are expanding....you can ride old mining roads in Colorado in the most beautiful scenery you can imagine..

there is a trail that parallels nearly every road in Alaska …..

you can ride across Idaho between two Wilderness Area...

there is a Backcountry Byway the length of Oregon from North to South....

you can also do that in Washington and ride many of the beaches to boot..

we rode from South Pass in Wy. into the Wind River for a week and saw one other rider (lost) at Union Pass....

Horace Greeley must have been a trail bike rider....

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
No...don't move out West , Fred was just kidding …...it is hot and cold and dry and wet and …..well......lonely ……. :rolleyes:
There is more truth to that than you may or may not know. Lots of folks from the predominantly liberal states run to the less restrictive and cheaper taxed states and too bad they bring their attitudes and demands that ruined their own states with them. Just look at NY City and there is probably a cop for every corner but up here in rural NY state we are lucky to have a cop for every 50 square miles and honestly we prefer it that way. If I ever have to call 911 it will be for the cops to come and clean up the mess after the fact. We get barraged here every summer with city dwellers who have summer camps. They get real upset when it takes the single Sheriff's Deputy or the only State Police officer on graveyard duty over an hour to get there because he was on the other side of the county. The 911 call center gets this call all the time, 911 operator, "What is your emergency?" There is a big bear in my yard tearing up my garbage that I put out on the curb for morning pick up! Like, No Shit, bears live here and bears love garbage served in the middle of the night by idiots. I like the ones, there is a big snake in my driveway making a lot of noise with his tail, what should I do? How about just leave it alone and steer very clear of it.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
But Gary, what if there is a big liberal in my driveway making a lot of noise, what should I do?;)

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
But Gary, what if there is a big liberal in my driveway making a lot of noise, what should I do?;)
A friend is a guy you call when you need a little help. A good friend is a guy you call who has a back ho! :p

GaryL

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The "3-S's"...
Shoot, shovel & shut up.

·
Registered
604 Posts
DANG Gary, sounds just like Elko County , NV. 4th biggest county in the country and 4 graveyard deputies. 2-Elko, 1-Wells, 1-West Wendover. Probably why our residents shoot 1st, call after.
When I lived in Tucson after I got out of the Corps, folks would call the FD to remove rattlers from their property and get pissed when they got a bill. If its not a genuine emergency or fire, or getting rescued from a flooded wash after the sign clearly says do not enter when flooded, prepare to get a bill, and not a cheap one. So my cousin and I would catch rattlers for $100 and take them to the poison center at UMC for an extra $15. Decent extra $$ on weekends during the summer months. 90% were by swimming pools of rich folk. Nothing a stick and a pillow case can't get, well, we didn't try bears or badgers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Remember, when digging a hole in the desert and you see headlights, now you have to dig 2 holes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts