TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I was fortunate enough to land on a 2015 TW200 with only 800 miles being sold by a gentleman who used to take it on many road trips on the back of his RV with his wife. Their road trips sometimes lasted for a couple months, and the bike was always covered but subject to some minor spots of frame rust in a few various locations. With that said, the counter shaft does appear to be quite rusty as are the flat surfaces that do not contact the chain on the front sprocket.

I'm not worried about the sprocket as that is an easy replacement, but should I be very concerned with the countershaft rust?

The bike other than the minor surface rust plus this counter shaft rust is immaculate and runs perfectly after adjusting the fuel mixture screw (he hadn't adjusted the factory setting, had cold start issues initially). Any advice on the severity of the issue and the best practices for a fix would be much appreciated. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It will take about 4156 years for it to completely rust away. Nothing to worry about. If for some reason you have to split the cases, some sandpaper will make it look like new again.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Looks like you still have the factory chain. Not Good! It will stretch like a rubberband and prematurely wear out the sprockets as it starts to ride outwards on the teeth. With only 800 miles while they are still just about like new, highly suggest buying a new DID X-Ring Chain soon as possible. You can read about just one of the many threads regarding chains on the forum here. The thread is two pages long, be sure to read through the second page.

After reading, you can purchase through Rocky Mountain ATV. It will be a very wise investment early on. Much quieter, you wont have to adjust it every other ride or so and far less maintenance.

DID 428 VX X-Ring Chain 428x122
Part# 1403820002 | Mfg Part# 428VXX122FB

Kudos to you on the bike, a very nice find!
Marty

Reactions: Ken and reddave

·
Super Moderator
6,110 Posts
As said, it’s fine. It won’t harm the sprocket or shaft, and the oil seals at either end cost pennies and can be changed with the sprocket. A quick wind with some sandpaper can take the existing rust away

Got to agree with the Scooter – change the chain out now

Looking at the level of rust, it has been “put away wet” – very wet. Suggest an oil change soonest ….

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Sounds like the rust is not as significant of an issue as I thought it was. What are your thoughts about the rust shown on the front sprocket, any issues running it as is for quite a while?

Understood on the chain replacement. @Scooterbrained, thanks for the suggestion on the specific model. I'll replace this very soon.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That surface rust on both sides of the front sprocket which does not come in contact with anything will not hurt a thing in the world. Buy you a new chain and ride on brother ride on! Here’s wishing many happy trails

Marty

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Oil the chain well. The sling off will keep that shaft lubed so that it doesn't rust.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Also, just so the rest of us can stay up on current events and prices, and because we are nosy, how much did you pay for it if you don’t mind us asking?

If you do mind, no problemo!😀

Marty

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Oil the chain well. The sling off will keep that shaft lubed so that it doesn't rust.
And, it will prevent termites from infiltrating the left side of your shoulder blade!

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marty, no problem at all. I paid $3,500 for everything including the bike (2015 @ 800 miles), skid plate, rear rack, and a new versahaul hitch carrier.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Sounds like a great deal to me, you did well my friend! Big Bend here you come.

Marty

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Pardonne-moi!

Damn my poor manners and Welcome To The Forum!

Marty

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
for all the haters of the stock chain i have 10500 kms on factory chain and still well within service spec
That is great! There are some that have had great service out them, I certainly was not one. In 7,500 miles or, 12,000 kms, I have adjusted the DID X-Ring twice and one of those times was just because I replaced the rear tire and went ahead and bumped the snail cam back one notch before tightening all back up.

I will humbly bow to someone such as yourself, @elime, @Ken and others who are far better at keeping up with chain maintenance than I.

Marty

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
If it were me I would spray WD40 on the rusty shaft and sprocket. If rust gets under that seal it could cause a leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts