TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my TW a few days ago,
Mainly for off road but if I decide to ride it to work I will need it to go 60 MPH for about 10 miles
I an thinking of raising the tooth count on my front sprocket by 2 teeth.

Does anybody have any experience with this and will that do the trick?

Thanks

Rick
Modesto, CA

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Hi Rick,

Congrats on your new TW and welcome to the forum!

The stock TW gearing is 14 teeth on the front sprocket and 50 teeth on the rear. The stock gearing should allow your TW to go 60mph on a relatively flat road, assuming that the engine is well broken in. The engine will sound like it is ready to blow up, but this normal and will cause no harm. Lots of people have gone to a 15 in the front, or a 47 in the rear, to lower the RPM's at highway speed. It is generally considered to be easier to swap the rear sprocket, but it is not difficult to change either. By making either of these changes you will lose some low end offroad capability.

I'd suggest that you ride with the stock gearing for a few weeks to get to know your TW and then decide if you want to make gearing changes.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
5,979 Posts
Welcome to the board

60 is about flat out for the TW, but that’s more to do with the drag co-efficient – it will rev (stock) to over 65. I’d start out with 47 tooth rear and see how you get on – easy enough to reverse if you feel like it ….

·
Super Moderator
18,931 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Changing the rear sprocket is a bit easier since you don't have to pull the side cover off the engine which may require a new gasket. If you do go for a bigger front sprocket 15 is about as big as I would go since it's a pretty tight fit between the chain and engine case. On another motorcycle that had a tight fit I had a broken chain tear a hole in the case (luckily it was the magneto side and so no oil lose and didn't damage the mag). I change the rear sprocket to a smaller one during the winter when I do more street riding. I take out a section of chain when I go smaller (two master links makes it easy).

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
After break-in (~800 miles), you shouldn't have any trouble holding 60 with the stock sprockets at sea level on more or less level ground if you keep your tires pumped up to about 22 lbs. or a little higher. That makes a big difference....try it.

I can go 60 with a 13/50 set-up at 6,000 feet, but not into a headwind or up even a slight grade....55 is about the best then.

And, no, you can't get a 16 tooth sprocket on the counter-shaft without chain binding.

·
Super Moderator
18,931 Posts
At 85 mph I still have plenty of throttle left, but the bike just gets too squirrely. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Brian,

That sounds like a good Idea, The guy I bought it from he told me 55 was the limit, it is a 2013 with 960 miles

Rick

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Are you sure the gearing is stock currently? 55 max sounds a little unstockish.
The previous owner may have mistakenly thought that the red 55 on the speedometer meant the redline for the engine.

It is actually a carryover from the 1980's when the national speed limit was regulated at 55MPH.

I wonder if there are other owners who think this is meant to be the engine redline?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Rick I rode my TW200 for about 2 days then installed a 45 rear and felt it was perfect even for off-road. I felt the stock gearing was awful especially on the road.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
The previous owner may have mistakenly thought that the red 55 on the speedometer meant the redline for the engine.

It is actually a carryover from the 1980's when the national speed limit was regulated at 55MPH.

I wonder if there are other owners who think this is meant to be the engine redline?
Not anymore! :rolleyes:

Tom

Reactions: TW-Brian

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Rick I rode my TW200 for about 2 days then installed a 45 rear and felt it was perfect even for off-road. I felt the stock gearing was awful especially on the road.

I totally agree with Peterb the 45 is an excellent choice for on and off road.

Reactions: Peterb

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I use 55 for on and off road. It will do 60 mph all day long.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I recently changed rear to 47, about as little you can do to these machines. I have an 18 mile ride on the highway commute to work and I wanted to work the TW into the rotation. I think the way the bike comes from the factory is a perfect balance for a bit of street and highway. But I wanted just an edge more to make the bike better for the commute. I also have to add my 225lb. weight to the equation.

If you have not changed your stock gearing yet I'd echo what a few others said and live with it for a few weeks. And make sure you use it both on and off road. It's not going to be die-hard in either direction without a gearing change. But if you need just an edge in either direction then do it.
Last week I took my TW off-Road again, first time since I changed to the 47T rear sprocket. It was still fine. And at 50 on the highway my rev's went from:
Stock 50T @50MPH- 6540rpm
New JT 47T @50MPH- 5800rpm

That's just the right amount of change for me without getting mentally involved in the alchemy of front/rear/both sprocket changes. BTDT with a KLR years ago.
Additionally I'd also echo make your changes (if you really feel you need to) at the rear sprocket. The front is more involved as advised by my bikes previous owner and TW Yoda Gary L.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,931 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts