TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Little dusty out there Admiral ??????????????????? I like the first vids location the best... Ole Georgie doesn't seem to mine either way. OMM.:p

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
The Admiral's Lady got him a good camera, Ion I think.
I personally like a little perspective afforded by seeing the dash, or the mirrors with Georgie's reflection or whatever at the bottom of the screen when camera is mounted lower so I vote side helmet. Too bad side helmet mounts capture image of helmet all the time, kind of tired of that.
Top of helmet view is unimpeded but sterile at times.
The bar mount appeared surprisingly stabile, or was it Ion camera/software?
Cotton ball taped over mic might dampen wind noise.
I experimented with a chin mount that I liked because it was low,aim-able, body-stabilized and while having clear view captured sense of being on TW. It was for my cell phone and point-n-shoot. If I adapt for Contour camera and re-mount I will post a pic.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I'll agree with Fred. The side mount brought it all together; the machine, the rider and the terrain. I used a bit of left over green foam I had from an old Uni filter and attached it with some double edge tape. This worked fine for me. Gerry

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Great videos! Looks like you made a good choice in cameras. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - that's one of my favorite theme songs! Thanks for the videos, I look forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I agree with Fred -- and I was surprised the handlebar mount worked so well. I wonder how it would look going over technical things and constantly turning left and right? Those roads you were on looked fairly smooth -- or it is a super stabilization program you have? And if yes I want one!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got an ION Air Pro. It also has a Wi-Fi Podz thingy so you can hook it up to a smart phone, ipad, etc. so you can link up with NASA. I won't be using the Wi-Fi thingy. Another nice feature of this camera, when you download to a computer, it has 2 files for each video clip. One in normal mode (1080, 720) and another with less resolution. I have a slow computer and for a quick view it's nice to have the lower resolution. The camera also has an "auto flip" feature for recording when the camera is mounted upside down or right angle. I tried this and when I first downloaded it, thumbnail showed the clip upside down. When I played it, it was right side up. Again, another NASA thing.

Top Mounted: Glad no one really likes it on top of the helmet. When I see one mounted up yonder, it reminds me of a Trojan or Spartan helmet. Not one for liking the looks up top myself.

Side Mounted: Not really a fan of the camera mounted anywhere on the helmet, but mounted on the side is probably best. Sometimes it's nice to see something off to the side when you look that way, which a tank or bar mounted camera can't show. It is easier to reach the on/off switch on the side over the top of the helmet mount. On the side one can't really get away from part of the helmet being in view, but I'm gonna try and aim the camera a little more right to try and minimize the helmet. Plus, if just by chance I'm picking my nose on camera, I may avoid that as well.

I was very surprised it did so well with the provided handle bar mount. I'm going to keep this on for further testing. I like to record from this location as I don't like camera mounts, but it can and does get a little stale, similar to mounted on top. Getting to see the bike in action does add to it in most cases. Always a problem with a handle bar mount is the back and forth motion, especially when on trails, so I think the majority of my future recordings will be a side mount view.

Mic: I gotta figure out where it is. Read where it should be, but apparently I'm not finding it, or the piece of tap I put on where I thought it was, didn't work very well! I'll keep working on that part.

Oh, and I didn't use any stabilization program. This is all raw footage with no alterations other than I cutting segments out. Camera seems to do very well in the stabilization department. It can record in 1080, but I use 720 to conserve micro SD card space.

...and I assure you, no matter what these roads may look like. They are anything but smooth. So if it looks smooth, blame it on the camera.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
..................................................if just by chance I'm picking my nose on camera, I may avoid that as well....................................if it looks smooth, blame it on the camera.
With my "POV" (point of view) goggle camera pretty much where you look is what you record -- one must remember to shut the camera off "while taking a break out in the woods".

It might be time to buy a much better camera -- the video of the roads looked really good.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I was kind of hoping for a nose picking action shot..... Given my (nose picking) experience over the years, I am not one that labors much over 'social convention'. Should you feel compelled to do some excavating and you have nails with a rough edge under which is some less than sterile debris,, you can be in deep shit..............

Geez mrgizmow.......... The more we can see into the hearts and minds of others, the more were we can be spared their pain.

My mother said that at one time I had such a perfect nose. The swelling broke it. The Dr. was concerned that should the swelling continue the bone that is the bridge of your nose may continue into the skull/brain.

Who would have thought?? Kris, I may have high-jacked your post, but maybe you saved someones life...........

Old habits are hard to break........ Just use caution!!!!! As well, perhaps it is best to ride with another 'nose-picker' just in case.

Joking aside. The potential real. Gerry

PS I am looking for some-one to ride with.......
:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
On my gopro, my latest vids have been on a top mounted helmet cam.. (I really didn't want to put it there because it looks really silly and sometimes the head movement is distracting on video because the camera cant focus fast enough...)
However, The Helmet cam is good if you want to look at say the back tire or some random scenery at the spur of the moment...

I put one mount on the headlight assembly but its very shaky.. I had another on the handle bars with a shock absorber thingy, but it was still too shaky.. The chest-harness mount is 'ok' and what I settled on for a-while, but you have to jack it up as close to your throat as possible if you want to get a vid of anything other than your bike..
Ideally you want something around chin level.. People want to see the bike/gages, but they also want to see where your riding..

.. and welcome to the world of nice cameras hiding the scene!.. I have crossed some knarly and steep terrain that only looked 'modest' on camera.. (its just something they haven't figured out yet)

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I really am liking these cameras and videos from them. I think the mount on the bars showed the best but the engine noise took away from it. I just watched Fred's video and think he said his camera is visor mounted so where he was looking is what we see. That is probably the most life like position.

So, which cameras in this category are considered top shelf and which ones are best to avoid? Price range on them?

Keep the vids coming but please go over to the recent computer geek thread and read my post there for another angle.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Gary, U-tube has many a comparison of many cameras.I often do not see big differences. Through their early dominance in industry go-pro has been long considered the best and has sold a lot of cameras and accessories. As such there is a lot of sightly used, or new in the box go-pros on Craig'sList. Top of the line models are given as gifts to uninterested recipients and thus sold. That is how I for my new in box Contour+2 from a college grad who lowered price 50$ successively over time until I snapped it up at ridiculous price.
There are quite a few imitators now to the go-pro and many can use go-pro mounts. Check u-tube for reviews and comparisons.
Editing software is another point of concern. I would like something better than Storyteller and i-Movie for Apple laptops.
If asked what would I do differently I would maybe buy a goggle housed camera like elime's Liquid Image and put fancy WiFii Contour on pole or remotely operated on ground or bike to attempt some of the artistry tinyWheel200 creates. By the time u-tube processes your video and you retrieve it most cameras outputs seem comparable. (i.e. I do not know if I could publish something as crisp with a go-pro as what is seen on go-pro website).
And don't forget you can always experiment with a point and shoot normal camera, they can churn out impressive quality if you can figure out how to mount and operate on the bike. Sandy Saline Valley vid shot with Android cell phone, the rest were taken from a Panasonic Lumix mounted to same mini tripod affixed to chin bar of MX helmet.Camera may be glimpsed at minute 1:55.

I posted this to show that experimentation with existing camera supplies is possible , it helped me decide I wanted to invest more in the hobby.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Everything pretty much already said, but I'll go ahead and throw in as well. Really liked the handlebar POV, but wouldn't be good for something like Rubicon - really wished for a steering damper on that one. My personal preference for watching is helmet mount with view of controls and front tire. Loved getting a peek of Georgie when you turned around in #1, and seeing him in the mirror on #2. I still haven't been able to pull the trigger on a camera yet, but TW-Brian's got me darn close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts