TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current place has a garage, which has been awesome for storing my new (used) TW. Unfortunately, I'm moving to a place at the end of the month that doesn't have a garage, only an off-street parking pad.

Anyone have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive (less than 300-400 dollar range) storage solution to protect it reasonably well from the elements (Pittsburgh, PA) and make it inconspicuous enough for passersby to ignore (it's off an alley and not a heavily trafficked area, but the more secure the better)? I've been looking at the 6x8 Abba Patio Storage Shed on Amazon for around $200, but looking for suggestions and experience from the best!

As for deep winter storage, I'd love to keep my TW at my place all winter for those unusually warm winter weeks we've been having the past few years. But, if that's inadvisable and it would do more harm for the bike than is worth the 15+ riding days I could get, I could probably find a friend's garage to store it in for the Dec-Feb months. Anyone have advice on that?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was in a similar situation years ago and had to move last minute from a place with a two car garage to a condo in the city.

I cleared it with the neighborhood but installed a motorcycle shelter like this one on Amazon. I installed it at the end of the parking lot right under a light post that provided both light as well as a fixed object for me to chain the bike to.

I think with any soft sided option, you'll need to secure directly to the ground so it doesn't blow away and be mindful to clear snow off based on your locale. You'll also want to consider somewhere to chain to if the neighborhood requires that.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hey Molly!

Long ago I had to move from a house with 2-car garage to an apartment with no covered parking.
And I had a brand new Kawasaki hot-rod and later a Triumph Bonneville.
I was on the 2nd floor, else I would have kept them inside...and my wife would have beat me...every day!
What to do?

I lucked out and it was way simple!

The stairs to the 2nd floor were "outdoors" but covered and had one wall.
I just ran the bikes nose-forward under the stairs and chained them to a rail.
Out of the sun, rain & out of sight from the street & parking lot...and totally visible from my back door.
That was a major factor in choosing that apartment.

In Dallas, TX in the late '60s, if you wanted to do something like that and it hurt nothing and caused no probs...you just did it, no permission, no sweat.
Nowadays, I shudder to think of the hassle it would be.
And it was shortly before the movie "Easy Rider" was released and people had not yet learned to hate motorcycles!

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Worse case scenario: You have to leave the bike out in the elements for any period of time (long enough to freeze the battery.

Remove the battery and bring it inside for the winter.
It's the only thing on the bike that will actually freeze, or be harmed by freezing temps.

Of course, the batt will still require usual storage/charging precautions.

Bring it out & install for those warm spells...ride that puppy!

Remember to keep the gas tank & fuel system either totally drained, or....
Keep the fuel system totally drained and the tank totally full of Ethanol-free gas. If you must fill with our usual crap gas (spiked with government mandated Ethanol that will clog up the works), use a double-dose of SeaFoam or StaBil brand fuel conditioner before storage, from Wally World or any auto parts store.

It's also OK to not drain anything at all if you always use Ethanol-free and/or self-treated gas.
The main things to avoid are storing it with crap gas and ...
Keep the tank full to avoid air spaces. Air pockets will allow moisture to form from condensation and cause corrosion.

Don't let all this scare you off...just find the system that suits you best and stick to it.

And my compliments to you for concerning yourself with this before you have problems...many people don't!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Depending on your parking space availability I would buy a used enclosed 6 foot trailer.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,195 Posts
Unfortunately an enclosed trailer likely exceeds the O.P's stated $400 price cap. I would suggest a plastic or metal sided shed over a fabric unit if local permitting allows.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would get a quality bike cover. Even stored inside of a shed, the moisture level will be the same. Also, I'd look into bike security. I hear good things about the Kryptonite "Fuggedaboutit" NYC bike lock - expensive, but will chase away amateur thieves. Even a cheapo alarm. Let's face it, if a pro wants your bike, you might as well start it up and warm it for them.

If I lived w/o a work space/storage space, and if I had the money, I would look into renting a storage locker and using it a a mini-garage. Preferably one that allows you 24 hour access and is secure. For the TDub, you wouldn't really need a big space. I'm not sure on the prices on storage lockers, sometimes they are quite affordable. Also, sometimes they are climate controlled as well.

Just things I was thinking about if I had to move.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I'll stick with my Garage....but if you no longer have one....a water/wind/snow tight shed is best...IMO...

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember to keep the gas tank & fuel system either totally drained, or....
Keep the fuel system totally drained and the tank totally full of Ethanol-free gas. If you must fill with our usual crap gas (spiked with government mandated Ethanol that will clog up the works), use a double-dose of SeaFoam or StaBil brand fuel conditioner before storage, from Wally World or any auto parts store.
Thanks for this reminder. I hadn't gotten as far as the fuel storage yet, but this is great advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I built a shed with pallets, a bit of lumber and some galvanized roofing. It gets a foot of snow minimum in the winter, and 2 years ago it had 3 feet of snow on it. It's held up beautifully for almost 5 years now.

My wife calls it the TW Temple.
*Immediately contacting my landlord to see if they're chill with something like this*

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hey, Mollymoore -
Are you a new rider or just new to TeeDubs?
How long have you had it?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Good deal Molly...you're in a good place here.

EDIT: You don't happen to have red hair, do you?
There is a great old motorcycle song with a girl called "Red Molly"!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts