TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Friend of mine had a 490 Maico Mega. Real easy bike to ride until you got over half throttle. Then it was " OHHHHH SSSSSHHHHH*****TTTT"

·
Registered
262 Posts
CR (crash and reck), the crash starts as soon as you release the clutch, as said above, NEVER, EVER again, unless…..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yep, rode an RM400 when it first came out. O-M-G! Then I rode my BIL's KTM 500. Double O-M-G!! I don't see the point. I am *really* happy on smaller (TW200) to mid (400cc) four strokes.

The saying we had, was "If you can start it, you can ride it". LOL!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Before them was the SC-500MX that was cursed sad to say with a hex. Made unruley by muscle riders found it would hustle straight into terrible wrecks.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I would love to try a CR500. I love my TW but I am tired of getting passed up by literally every kind of bike when I go to Hollister. Just once I want to be the guy doing the passing!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I would love to try a CR500. I love my TW but I am tired of getting passed up by literally every kind of bike when I go to Hollister. Just once I want to be the guy doing the passing!
Careful what you wish for. You could fly by. Bike one way and you through the air. More style points for superman than flying W.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Let's start you out on a 125 ;)

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Careful what you wish for. You could fly by. Bike one way and you through the air. More style points for superman than flying W.
No way!!!! That kind of stuff only happens to other people.

Let's start you out on a 125 ;)
I had a DT1 175 cc (or something like that) Yamaha years ago. It was pretty tame. I am sure a CR125 or its equivalent would blow its doors off -- if it had doors.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I really shouldn't complain because these were the only other riders I saw all day while I was riding at Hollister OHV and once they were out of sight, once they left me in the dust, I never saw them again.

I just wanted to share it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brotheren t dubbers

I have ridden with other T-dubbers and some of them haul ass! BikerJosh, Joeband, and it seems to me I had to pull over for Evan too.
Yeah but did they wait for you and make sure you were ok? thats what makes it good!!!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Ah, the memories. I miss the big bores. Back when I raced MX, I ran 250 and open class (500cc) until I turned pro. Then only open class. Went from Maico 490 for 2 years, then KTM 500 for half a season until Suzuki picked me up on a RM 465 ride for 3 years. Open bikes got balls, but you can't beat the 250's for laying down much quicker lap times. Just enough power on a lighter bike. Easier to ride at WFO and toss around. The 500's were fun, but over powered. I've never rode the newer 450 4-strokes, but love to someday. I know they can't be as quick and ballsy as a ring dinger, but they are much higher tech and lighter nowadays, with suspension being superior. So who knows. I did hate kicking them over. Kick backs could easily bust your ankle. I've had a few sprains. Having a faster bike don't make you ride faster. Ahh, the good-ol days. Man, do I miss them.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
While I was learning a buddy on his CR125 was much quicker than me on a Montessa 250, revved aggressively the 125s were super fast for a light rider. Later I rode with heavy-set friends with a freakishly fast CR500 and a Husky open class two-smokers. I could never consistently kick those bikes over providing endless entertainment for them when we would swap bikes. They overcooked many a turn or wheelied out and crashed as they demonstrated their superior power but average drum brakes. My revenge was to hop back on my KDX175 and out carve and out corner those rocket ships on the tightest terrain I could find. Goes to show that with right attitude and terrain friends can have a blast on widely dissimilar bikes.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah, I wonder what our TW's are equil to in say an 80's era 2-stroke "dirt" bike. I'm thinking maybe 80 to 100cc? Hard to tell, cuz it's a 4-stroke with ok torque throughout, and a 2-stroke having a narrow powerband starting somewhere around mid to just above it. Especially a ported/worked/modded one, where there is no power anywhere except at WOT. When I went from a stock motor to a fully modded ported and polished one, everything was lossed at bottom and mid, even at 3/4 throttle, nothing. Had to relearn how to ride the bike fast again, holding the throttle wide open "all the time" and clutching the piss out of it just to keep the R's up. But man, once your up top, look out. Your arms are being pulled off. I think the open class riders put down slower laps moreso due to trying to keep the front wheel on the ground. That's the only bike where you do kinda want the rear tire breaking loose, just so you don't loop it. When I ran 125 class, it cost more to maintain. Not just new rings every 2 weeks, but clutches every 2 weeks as well. I was lucky I worked at a dealership and parts were at cost if not free. I gotta stop. I truely really Really miss that time in my life. To the point where I'm feeling sad and bummed out right now. Why couldn't we have a pause button in life. I would have pushed it back then, then broke it so it stayed there forever......:)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Lol yea man, you learn to ride those bikes around at 1/4 throttle in the technical off road stuff (if you do that, they actually work super well in that stuff...). Good luck if you pin it at low speeds on a hill climb! Super super fun bikes. My friend has a plated 2000. Fourth gear, 70 mph, roll on-off-on lean back and bang, front wheel's still reaching for the sky, even at such ridiculous speeds. Love it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts