TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an all original 1987 that is quite clean. The only real issue other than normal stuff you would expect is that there is a crack in the engine case near the kick starter. Anyone have an experience / luck with repairing this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Try the puddy stuff like "Quick Steel" or similar. Can be found near plumbing department in hardware store. I carry some when I ride. Lots of riders of all makes and models have cracked their side covers or punched a hole. I'm actually using some right now to help seal the left side cover gasket near the starter. I let it sit overnight after I applied it. It's been on since last October and no leak what-so-ever. And it's hard as a rock. Of course I'm not sure how easy it will be to take off when I need to take the side cover off. I'll probably have to re-apply it as my side cover is ok, but the engine case has a chip out of the surface area where the side cover gasket would seal up to it. Hey, it worked once it should work again.

I can't remember the exact brand, but it looks just like this when open up.

You can also get some metal JB Weld Epoxy. I haven't used this on the side cover, but have seen it applied. Not sure how long it lasts. I have used it to repair plastic gas cans with some success. Just doesn't work on a smooth surface very well, so you'll have to rough up the area pretty good unless the crack is big enough to hold it.

Hope this makes sense.

Of course I would consider these as temporary fix's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've used a similar product called "water weld" by jb weld. It's a putty that has an inner and outer core that you kneed in your fingers to mix in the hardener. It works great! Can be had even at Wally World.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
JB weld is a fairly permanent fix. Just depends on where the crack is and how bad. If it is cracked through the hole for the kick starter shaft most likely won't do you much good. If just a crack in the case, I would take a three sided file and make a V and rough it up some with a good sandpaper before applying the JB weld. I have used it to great success before. It tends to want to let gravity pull on it so be sure to place the crack up and level. If not and you can get it applied, maybe a good masking tape might hold it in place while setting up. Figure a good overnight for hardening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of trying the JB Weld. The crack is very narrow but it does leak some oil when the engine is running. I think I'll take a dremel tool with a carbide burr and rougn up the area good and probably grind a small groove in the crack. Then I'll clean good with acetone and apply the JB. I'll let you all know my results when done.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts