TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! Against my better judgement, I loaned out my '87 TW and it came back in non-running condition. I noticed a hair-line crack on the crankcase, which I'll either weld or JBweld (it's only a small crack). After talking to the rider, they mentioned that "it just stopped running and wouldn't start again." Obviously it leaked all the oil out and was run until it died out on it's own.

I know all scenarios are different, but looking to get a general consensus on whether or not I should pull the crank and evaluate for a spun rod bearing or worse. In an ideal world, I'm hoping that no damage was done to the rod, rod bearing, or crank. Thoughts? Pull the whole thing apart, or just weld and give it a go?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
231 Posts
yikes . you might be screwed . did you add oil and get it running?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Was/is there any oil in the crankcase? If there is oil in the crankcase still, drain it and see if there is any metal flakes in it. Also pay attention to how much oil comes out when it is drained. The TW only holds about a quart of oil. Also don't forget to remove the oil filter and see what it looks like. Does the engine turn over? If it just stopped running and wasn't completely out of oil there is a chance it may have stopped working because of another unrelated problem. Let us know what you find so we can offer suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was/is there any oil in the crankcase? If there is oil in the crankcase still, drain it and see if there is any metal flakes in it. Also pay attention to how much oil comes out when it is drained. The TW only holds about a quart of oil. Also don't forget to remove the oil filter and see what it looks like. Does the engine turn over? If it just stopped running and wasn't completely out of oil there is a chance it may have stopped working because of another unrelated problem. Let us know what you find so we can offer suggestions.
There was a little residual oil in the crankcase that had not leaked out (around 1/2 cup or so). I didn't see any metal flakes in the case. The engine turns over without starting.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Running out of oil wouldn't keep the engine from running until things start to seize up. Since it turns over I would recommend adding oil then check to see if you have spark at the plug. Next would be to double check that it is getting fuel. (Sometimes as simple as switching to reserve). I'm not saying that your engine isn't damaged, I just want to help figure out why it isn't wanting to start. Let us know what you find. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts