TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update added topic re ebay and sales tax collection - We could add to this topic the fact that ebay is following the Supreme court decision on all online sales requiring sales tax be collected for the states and I noticed a dramatic drop in sales in what was already the most anemic market since I started ebay sales in 1995

well CL has been a great tool for me granted theres ton of malarkey to deal with but it's (was) free so I considered it a great deal

Now they are charging $5 to list a bike at least in Seattle and Phoenix the two places I have tried and while I think $5 for 30 days is still not bad but only if you cannot be flagged which I have no idea if that is the case

I do believe the great majority of CL posters will not spend $5 on a listing when there are still so many free options like FakeBook etc

I thin k it will be like the old auto trader or "buy and sell" magazine that had free adds but once they started charging it sent from the size of a local phonebook to a few pages of retail dealer listings and now its long extinct

I might pay $5 to list a rig but not to list a crescent wrench etc so I think listings will dwindle and then buyers will look elsewhere

I said it here first Craigslist is Dead on life support til the plug is pulled

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Wow thanks for the heads up. I checked Milwaukee and Chicago and they also charge $5. The FAQ says those postings will not be deleted from flagging. There aren’t many other free options. I’m not a fan of Facebook but my bikes and cars sold quickly with waaaaay fewer “unpleasant interactions” with potential buyers.

I agree this is at least one nail in the coffin, but it looks like the fee only applies to cars, trucks, and bikes. ATVs are still free. And all the other brick-a-brack listings are still free.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here in the Twin Cities they started charging for autos a while ago, so now the Barter Section gets loaded with cars for sale with people pretending to be trading them.
It ruined the BARTER SECTION in my opinion. I suppose motorcycles will be next here too.
JUST CHECKED:
Fee here too for motorcycles.:mad:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I surely thank you for posting this. I myself am not a member of facebook, twitter, snap chat and or any other of the social media freeways. So, if and when I need to sell something of any size, I'll probably still use C/L. The average human, is drawn to things that are FREE. To me, C/L has been a pretty good source for selling my stuff. I don't sell a lot. But, this is one of those things that, to me, if sell something for $10 on C/L now, I've made $5. That's fine with me. At least the item IS GONE! Anything over the $5 cost is a bonus. A few decades ago, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I was a young'n, (just after the civil war), our local news paper, the San Diego Union/Tribune, would put at the beginning of the want-ads: "3 lines, 2 days, $2.00". You could sell anything you wanted, as long as it was within the 3 lines of the ad. Waaaaaaaaaaaay back then, $2 was a heck of a lot. Yes, like I stated earlier, FREE is the name of the game for many, many folks. I know guys that will drive for 20 minutes, use fuel to get there and back home, in 3/4 ton truck, (that uses fuel like it's free) shop for things they don't need, just to get a FREE LED flashlight at Harbor Freight!
Scott

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree I will pay the $5 but my concern is with less sellers posting and if it's like the old buy and sell magazine it turned into only retail dealers advertising so buyers like myself stopped looking there

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
They have been charging $5.00 in the NYC area for for auto's & trucks for awhile. It really has eliminated a lot of the bullshit and fake ghost ad's. Not all because if someone is running a scam they can do the same thing for a whopping 10% of the sale or $30.00 over on Fleabay. But it really has filtered a lot of the fluff and stuff that jam-logged CL. The illegitimate folks don't want to share credit card information and spring for $5.00. Sometimes taking out an ad to make comments on someone else ad thus became a "forum". Those folks really want to remain anonymous. Plus all the duplicate ads by the same person that always get flagged. A lot less of those.
Good riddance to them.

I guess they could have charged $1.00, $2.00, $3.00, etc too and it would have been the same result but I don't set the price of course. I do use CL a lot and just sold another one of my bikes last weekend. I listed and kept re-posting over the last 2-3 weeks so I must have just flown under the radar regarding the new charge. I believe this is is good change if you use CL as a true selling and buying tool.
I'm not on Facebook but do like that marketplace section. Sometimes (like last night at work) I'll ask someone to open their page on my laptop so I can cruise the Market Place. But of course NO One is really anonymous on Facebook so....

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Yea, I encountered this when I sold a 2011 Toyota Corolla recently (that was just after Craigslist had changed). I immediately said "no thanks/not interested" and listed my car at least three other places (all free!), got several texts and messages about it, and sold it in a couple of weeks.

Sorry Craigslist, but you're done.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so today I realized another critical flaw with the $5 for 30 day deal in that you can no longer bump or refresh your listing so you have a one time spot at the top of the listings then 30 days of a stale listing which may be found in searches especially if it's an uncommon item but if you are listing something common you are never going to be seen except way down the list like being on page two or three of a google search

·
Registered
290 Posts
Some dealers have been listing all their bikes on CL. Probably the reason for charging $5.
And several dealers list on both owner and dealer section so when ones searches for "Owner Only" still gets inundated with dealer crap.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We could add to this topic the fact that ebay is following the Supreme court decision on all online sales requiring sales tax be collected for the states and I noticed a dramatic drop in sales in what was already the most anemic market since I started ebay sales in 1995

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's not a big deal just post your stuff in bike parts for free.

Will take awhile for people to figure out to just search for what your looking for. Type in TW200 in the search bar and it will pull up all ads in all sections. I don't really want to look at all the junk HD's listed in motorcycles for sale anyway. Same with cars or whatever your looking for, it's really complicated.

Facebook is a bigger joke. They won't allow us access to into the marketplace. So all you people advertising on there are limiting buyers. Lots of stuff I want to buy but can't contact sellers. Because Facejoke won't allow new members.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
here's the FAQ for ours:

[h=3]Automotive-by-Owner Ads[/h]Rules and Resources for paid automotive-by-owner postings
Q. What is the fee for paid automotive ads?
A. $5.
Q. How long do paid automotive listings last?
A. 30 days.
Q. What about reposts and renewing / renewals of existing ads?
A. Reposts cost the same as a new ad ($5). The renewal feature is not available in paid categories. To move an existing ad to the top of the listings, use the repost option (see: reposting paid ads)
Q. What forms of payment are accepted?
A. VISA, Mastercard, American Express.
Q. How do I pay for a posting?
A. You will be prompted for payment at the end of the posting process.
Q. Are paid ads subject to automated deletion due to user flagging?
A. No. Paid ads flagged by users are reviewed by staff prior to any deletions.
Q. Do I need a craigslist account to post?
A. No.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts