TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably talking out of school here but the other night meeting up with Boarder255 he shared a tale of woe and concern over recent sale of his very good condition XT255:

His advertisement seemingly resulted in a successful sale to a first-time lady buyer...her boyfriend knows all about dirt bikes, bike would have a good home, everyone seemed happy.
A few weeks go by and Boarder gets an angry call from lady saying bike's engine had "exploded" and Boarder must somehow be to blame. Hot oil had shot all over her leg burning her. She then tore down engine looking for fault after her burns healed but before any superficial diagnosis like starting bike and listening or looking for evidence of the "explosion" was done.
Now Boarder's integrity, honesty and compassionate nature caused him untold grief and lost sleep wondering if he somehow unknowingly wronged this lady.
Turns out the oil filler cap had simply come off on her second ride and her clutch basket had tossed some oil out the opening. This was after lady though bike might be a little low on oil so she added "about a quart of motor oil " she found in the garage.
Needless to say Boarder's mental state changed from true concern to exasperation over the buyer's lack of experience.

Moral? We all know about Buyer Beware but perhaps at times we should consider Seller Beware too. There are idiots out there that can cause lots of unnecessary trouble when we are selling stuff in good faith.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
There is not enough room here to tell all my stories of problems with both CL and Ebay. I recently sold my grandma's old 2 part coffee percolator pots, the kind that has a bottom pot and a top pot and the water gets sucked up from the bottom when it boils and then goes back down after soaking in the grinds. It was very old and very nice and sold for $20 plus shipping on Ebay. Guy paid with PP and as soon as he received it gave me positive feed back. A week goes by and I get a notice from Ebay and PP that he did a charge back through his credit card company saying the item was not as described. PP swiped the money from my account immediately. I tried to argue the charge back showing it arrived in good shape and he gave me A+++ feed back. He fought back claiming there was a crack he had not noticed and showed pictures showing that he had clearly broken the bottom pot. I just gave up and it was not worth wasting my time to fight with him, PP and Ebay. I had 2 more of grandma's coffee pots on Ebay in the same condition and this same creep was bidding on them. I cancelled his bids and the auctions and tossed the pots in the trash.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those percolators boiled horrible coffee anyways, from a time before we discovered what coffee should taste like.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Those percolators boiled horrible coffee anyways, from a time before we discovered what coffee should taste like.
I would not even know how coffee tastes from them Fred. My aunt passed and I ended up with a box full of these 2 pot percolators from grandma all in very nice shape and all quite old. We do K cups here and have for a long time. The point was there are so many dishonest people lurking on Ebay PP and CL that it is almost always better to deal in person with cold cash. I know a guy, won't call him a friend, but he needs a particular tool to do a job and buys the tool from a big box store. Uses it a few times on the job and then returns it for a refund saying it was not working right. You would think that Home Depot and Lowe's would be onto his scam.

GaryL

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am going to use the receipt idea. So far, I have only had one jackwagon experience but it was more than enough for me. I am relieved and sorry to hear I am not alone, though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I had my TW on Craigslist recently I had numerous people express interest and never follow up. One guy said it was exactly what he was looking for and asked when he could come see it. I said I could be available any day, any time, 24/7. I never heard back. Another guy made an offer over the phone that was $100.00 below my price. I accepted and never heard back.
Then I posted it on a local firearms board and sold it the next day to the first guy who called. For me, selling things on CL has been a colossal waste of time.
However, when I bought the TDUB I saw on CL, I called the guy and bought it the next day. Couldn't have been easier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree. my in-laws always used one of the old glass percolators that they had since Moses was a cub scout and they bragged on the coffee to anyone who would listen. To me the coffee always tasted like burnt mud with a handful of sand thrown in. But there was no changing them. I even bought them a restaurant quality Bunn machine. As far as I know it stayed in the box until they re-gifted it a few years later.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
When I had my TW on Craigslist recently I had numerous people express interest and never follow up. One guy said it was exactly what he was looking for and asked when he could come see it. I said I could be available any day, any time, 24/7. I never heard back. Another guy made an offer over the phone that was $100.00 below my price. I accepted and never heard back.
Then I posted it on a local firearms board and sold it the next day to the first guy who called. For me, selling things on CL has been a colossal waste of time.
However, when I bought the TDUB I saw on CL, I called the guy and bought it the next day. Couldn't have been easier.
Sounds about right for craigslist. I have had issues as both a buyer and seller, Facebook yard sale is just as bad. I dont do these transactions often but i have only had 2 that have gone smoothly and both happen to involve TW's.... I also never ever let the person buying something come to my house and i never meet up with someone without being properly armed.

My faves are the ones that send you a bazilion messages about something you have for sale, then make arrangements to see said items and then cancel 5 min before the scheduled time because its "too far to drive" despite being like 5 miles away in the next town over and then continue to show interest like you are going to hold it for them. they are just forever tire kickers.....

·
Registered
805 Posts
I collect the full price in cash before a test ride on bikes I sell and it's paid off on many occasions. The most spectacular was a guy who bought a Yamaha YZ 60 for his kid at Christmas. He hopped his fat ass on it, rode off revving to the moon and blew up the top end. He wasn't happy of course and tried to blame me for cheating him. I offered to help him load it in his truck and lifted my untucked shirt so he could compliment me on my Ruger P89DC.
I've also had guys crash my opps! make that THEIR bike on test rides as well.
In essence; I sell a bike as-is and no test rides without full cash payment tendered.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Say, is that a Ruger in your britches, or you just happy to see me?:evil6:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I warn you, I know Karate.
I WARN you, I know Winchester.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Most of my deals are with men and in the western states I can say all are carrying heat usually a G23 waste carry and most men are just pudgy enough you don't see it unless they show you. lord knows how many are appendix carrying

In tens of thousands of deals I've only had one deal where I left right as I was about to meet in a Walmart parking lot something just didn't seem right so I kept on rolling and never saw the other person

I always tell them I'm driving something other than what I'm driving so I can see them before I meet them and I just say oh crap I forgot to sell you I had to switch rigs

Most people I meet are way more nervous than I am perhaps because most folks don't do it every day like I do

I treat it almost like a traffic stop with LEO keeping hands in plain view, smile and no fast or hidden moves at least until you meet them and shake hands

It's common for people to have their wife in the car with a gun and hiding the cash so anytime you have a nervous lady with a gun and her stack-o -money you want to be careful

The heavy lifting in CL or other online deals is in the screening and I never meet anybody I haven't thoroughly screened and verified their intention and ability to buy

You should never get upset if a deal falls through it ain't done til it's done and blown deals are part of the game

I think of it like this when I miss a sale - I'm going home w/o making a sale but they are probably going back to their JOB that they hate which I've never had to do

PS if you guys have not yet held a Sig P365 you owe it to yourself to check one out. Smallest double stack 9mm 10 to 12 round mouse pistol with factory nite sights for $499 - I've owned them all twice (at least) and the P365 is a game changer for a small high output hot lead thrower

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have bought and sold on Craigslist, you can sell a stock Jeep Wrangler or TW there with a premium for adult owned and used in a week end....I will only reply via email and only meet at my bank...………….. where there is a exchange of cash for the vehicle , a clear title and keys….no problems at all...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have bought and sold on Craigslist, you can sell a stock Jeep Wrangler or TW there with a premium for adult owned and used in a week end....I will only reply via email and only meet at my bank...………….. where there is a exchange of cash for the vehicle , a clear title and keys….no problems at all...
Inside a bank is a great place for a money exchange with all the cams and security I know a company who resells tickets (scalps) and they always do exactly that because they are small and easy to exchange inside the bank

If I wheel a TW into my bank they might squawk a bit lol

Once you have met the people you already know if you trust them and if you do have a bad vibe just excuse yourself and drive away - say you have a case of the screamin trots and you have to run to the can

1 - 20 of 22 Posts