TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I had the crank case off it was a bugger to get the new gasket to stay in place while getting the cover back on. Feeding the wiring through the proper channel and not displacing the gasket was a challenge. The first attempt resulting in pinching and severing my wiring. Got that repaired and the crankcase back on but now I'm thinking I want to swap out my sprocket so here we go again... Does anyone have tricks or suggestions?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just use a high tack gasket sealant. Permatex makes a bunch of em. 3m too.

But not RTV. That stuff is the debbles work.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There are a few pins that the gasket should sit on and hold it in place. The smart way is to lean the bike over so you don't have to drain the oil. With the pins in place and the bike leaning on its side, the gasket won't move. The two bigger holes is where the pins go.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I usually use my finger to rub a light coating of clean engine oil on both sides of the new gasket. I have convinced myself that this helps a little to hold the gasket in place while replacing the side cover and will also pay huge dividends down the road when I, or someone else, has to remove and replace the side cover again.

YMMV,

Brian

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I usually use my finger to rub a light coating of clean engine oil on both sides of the new gasket. I have convinced myself that this helps a little to hold the gasket in place while replacing the side cover and will also pay huge dividends down the road when I, or someone else, has to remove and replace the side cover again. YMMV, Brian
That's what the cool people have been doing for decades ✴ (y)

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just did this recently. I put in the crank screws through the gasket and held the screws down by duct tape on the outside. The screws held it in place. If I had known about high tack, I might have done that. I did not want anything to scrape off the next time I am going to do this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What a great thread, I was just going to ask this same question and happened on this. So what i've learned, no RTV, tilt the bike over, pull battery. Use engine oil on gasket and dental floss if needed. Any idea the torque you use and is there a pattern for the screws to be re installed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts